Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
DUB-BOS is now in zone 5, this changed in December 2016 so it is now 20,000 in Y.

Also I believe taxes, fees, and charges have gone up from around £80 to maybe £150 or £200.

Ok . Must have read the chart wrong!

Could I save the fees by booking this through Iberia??
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:10 pm

Is BOS-SNN still Zone 4?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Hi everyone,

Aplogies in advance if this isn't the right thread - please let me know if this is the case.

I'm hoping you may be able to help with advice on whether you can get better value for Avios and lower costs if you make the long-haul portion of a journey start outside of UK.

I am BA gold, currently with 260,000 avios and amex 241 valid till jan 2017.

I live in Scotland, so Glasgow is my home airport.

I would like to get to Orlando/Tampa/Miami at Christmas, however the availability is already very low and the cost is very high due to duty from LHR/LGW. 3 x WT return will be 150,000 avios plus about £1,200. I am fairly sure I could get normal economy tickets for not much more than that.

So, the question is, can a make a journey that takes me to somewhere in Europe first, and avoid much of the taxes ? I've read it can be done but not found any way to find flights. BA comes up with nothing, as does the Avios website.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:00 am

Help!! AA flights not bookable

I am trying to use Avios on AA flight from Houston to Maui via Phoenix. IAH-->PHX-->OGG-->PHX-->IAH

I am able to find award flights on AA's website, but not on BA. When I call BA they tell me there is no availability, not only for the days I'm looking for, but also for the month before and after.

What gives? Why is it so difficult to book a flight to Hawaii using AA?!

All tips/advice appreciate, thank you!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I'm a BA executive club member without any avios points, as I've nominated my AAdvantage account instead. But I now want to gain avios points for my upcoming Flybe flight, which requires my 9-digit avios account No., which I can't find in my BAEC account?
Whats going on here?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LukeO9
I'm a BA executive club member without any avios points, as I've nominated my AAdvantage account instead. But I now want to gain avios points for my upcoming Flybe flight, which requires my 9-digit avios account No., which I can't find in my BAEC account?
Whats going on here?
You need an account on avios.com not a BAEC account.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by KARFA
You need an account on avios.com not a BAEC account.
Thank you, but then what is the BAEC account recognizing when it lists my avios points?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by enesem
Hi everyone,

Aplogies in advance if this isn't the right thread - please let me know if this is the case.

I'm hoping you may be able to help with advice on whether you can get better value for Avios and lower costs if you make the long-haul portion of a journey start outside of UK.

I would like to get to Orlando/Tampa/Miami at Christmas, however the availability is already very low and the cost is very high due to duty from LHR/LGW. 3 x WT return will be 150,000 avios plus about £1,200. I am fairly sure I could get normal economy tickets for not much more than that.

So, the question is, can a make a journey that takes me to somewhere in Europe first, and avoid much of the taxes ? I've read it can be done but not found any way to find flights. BA comes up with nothing, as does the Avios website.

If your 241 is valid until Jan you are stuffed so presume that is a typo. I think you will find that the 241 is only valid for flight originating from the UK (someone correct me if I am wrong).

A flight to the US for £400 or less at Christmas will be a challenge I think.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by AndreaJ200
I am trying to use Avios on AA flight from Houston to Maui via Phoenix. IAH-->PHX-->OGG-->PHX-->IAH

I am able to find award flights on AA's website, but not on BA. When I call BA they tell me there is no availability, not only for the days I'm looking for, but also for the month before and after.

What gives? Why is it so difficult to book a flight to Hawaii using AA?!

All tips/advice appreciate, thank you!
You need to see flights in saver for BA to be able to book using Avios. it's a popular route so only advice is keep checking.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:15 pm

I read the section on UuA and it's not clear to me whether this would be allowed or not.

UuAs can only be applied to tickets issued on 125 stock. In other words tickets issued by BA or BA registered travel agents with ticket numbers beginning 125. Tickets sold by Iberia and American Airlines are issued on different numbered stock and cannot be upgraded using Avios.
It also mentions you can upgrade AA and IB flights.

I have a trip booked on BA stock (booked via the BA call centre) and have been told by several agents no issues in upgrading, even the agent who yesterday went to process the UuA for me. The flight was originally an AA flight number LHR-JFK however was a codeshare on a BA operated flight. Due to a schedule change my flight has changed and I'm now booked on the BA code directly. In any case, when trying to UuA after a couple of hours of to and fro the Gold line then rang back and said because the original booking (before my invol reroute) had an AA flight number it's not eligible to be upgraded.

Is that right?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LukeO9
Thank you, but then what is the BAEC account recognizing when it lists my avios points?
What do you mean?

Your BAEC account uses avios, it is separate from an IB account which also uses avios, and separate from a EI account which also uses avios, and separate from an avios.com account which also uses avios. They are just separate pots to hold air miles.

As noted you need to register for an avios.com account as Flybe can only be credited to avios.com, it can't be credited directly to BAEC.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Yes - the problem is that BA now offer 'mixed class' fares - which means you're actually buying an upgraded economy fare for that discount premium economy price. You'll travel in WTP - but you're actually paying for economy + an upgrade.

In order to upgrade using avios - you have to purchase a full on WT+ fare - hence the higher price.
This is not quite correct. The BA website does not recognize the upgraded economy fare as eligible for Avios upgrade, and so sells you a full WTP fare before applying the CW upgrade. But actually you can upgrade these upgraded economy fares to CW after purchase as you would any other WTP fare.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by enesem
Hi everyone,

241 Valid til when??? Jan 201 8 ?

To avoid taxes, could try INV-LHR-NYC on BA 241 and then Jet Blue or AA or Delta to MCO?

Or INV-LHR-MIA?

Or ignore the 241 and go via DUB with Aer Lingus?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Fees lower if trip originates in Europe?

I noticed that if I try to book a round trip business class between say SFO and HAM, if I originate the trip in SFO, I get:

154250 Avios + $1,142.19 of which $956.00 is the carrier imposed fees.

But if I start in HAM and book a round trip business class between HAM and SFO, I get:

154250 Avios + $637.89 of which $455.38 is the carrier imposed fees.

Why is this?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:17 pm

I have a flight booked for MAD-LHR-YYZ in E and PE (On long haul). I want to upgrade the long haul between LHR-YYZ, since I am beginning my trip from MAD, would I still get a hefty charge for the upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.