Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
$$$ damage to ba?

Apologies if asked already.
Is there an estimate of how much in total will BA have to pay out due to EU 261 and goodwill?
It appears it will go into millions...How is the BA stock doing ?
Old May 27, 2017, 10:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
What I don' t understand is why BA is unwilling to re-book on any carrier in the passenger' s ticketed cabin. It should be up to the passengers to decide, not the airlines. I don't know if this ( and EU compensation) would cost BA much but it would just be one more cost of doing business. The argument that this increases fares is a false one too as BA competes with so many airlines that they wouldn't they wouldn' t dare increase fares for fear of loosing business.
There have been several reports on here of ground staff rebooking on other airlines.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
mmmm. quick question on compensation and duty of care please.

my inbound to LHR is cancelled today. they can fly me in Y tomorrow rather than J. or J on Tuesday.

if I accepted Y, (assuming it's an EU261 event), I assume I'd be able to claim downgrade (tricky, Avios booking with Lloyds Voucher) as well as cancellation?

if I accept J on Tuesday, does duty of care just cover tonight (given there was an option to fly tomorrow) or both nights (I am staying with friends so very theoretical question).

there's only 1 flight a day and BA just confirmed they'll only book BA code (incl BA codeshares) and there's nothing from here).

EDIT: a seat in J appeared on tomorrow's flight on EF so was quick enough to call back and nab it so completely hypothetical question above (which may be helpful for someone else).

Last edited by chris1979; May 27, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chris1979
my inbound to LHR is cancelled today. they can fly me in Y tomorrow rather than J. or J on Tuesday.
It depends a bit how it was presented to you, but normally BA would pay the compensation for delay, and right of care, but are reluctant to pay on downgrades. So I suspect if you stuck it out to Tuesday they would pay reasonable hotel / food claims. If you went in Y then BA would probably not initially pay the downgrade on top of the cancellation compensation, but I am nearly certain they wouldn't want that to go to MCOL and would therefore pay at the final hurdle. Probably not a good one for CEDR.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Thanks c-w-s for an excellent thread. One thing that isn't clear to me, though, is the interaction between refunds and compensation.

My wife had booked to go to VIE for the weekend, departing 27 May (yesterday) and returning 30 May. Once the systems came back up this morning, we saw that she had been rebooked to depart 30 May and return shortly afterwards which is obviously of no use to her. The website just offers the standard (and irritating) option to cancel and accept in advance whatever as-yet-unknown offer of a refund she would be offered. It was an Avios-plus-money ticket. So clearly we'll have to call BA to get a refund of the Avios and the Ł115 that we paid. We'll do this tomorrow and I expect (and assume) this won't be a problem, although I'm surprised that the options we were offered last time there was a major IRROPS, i.e. cancel with full refund or rebook online, weren't offered - maybe they preferred to be proactive with their rebookings.

Question: do we separately have the right to any EC261 compensation even if we've cancelled the trip and got a refund? She has lost the value of theatre tickets apart from the inconvenience.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It looks like you will have to call, you will be entitled to a full refund or rebooking to a date in the future. You may be entitled to other compensation, watch this space.
Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated.
I phoned the EC line this morning and, after only 15 minutes, got a really helpful operator called Piyali. We had two booking references and she has confirmed that they will both have full refunds.
I need to be thankful that I didn't have major plans made like so many others.

Hotel cancelled free, restaurant cancelled. Now, and hopefully finally from me, how do I find the EC261 claim form?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold , HH Diamond , IHG Diamond Elite, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Stormbel
I phoned the EC line this morning and, after only 15 minutes, got a really helpful operator called Piyali. We had two booking references and she has confirmed that they will both have full refunds.

Hotel cancelled free, restaurant cancelled. Now, and hopefully finally from me, how do I find the EC261 claim form?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:41 am

Thank you for all the work that has gone into this thread. Lots of useful information.

Our flight is a category 3 flight (~4500Km and outside EU) and was cancelled today. We've been put on a flight tomorrow. Surely this meets the criteria for compensation given we will be arriving 24 hours late? (i.e. 600 Euros per person)

Secondly, my son is an infant and we have paid 10% ticket price for him to fly on our lap. Is there any set amount of compensation in this circumstance?

Thanks again, this thread is brilliant.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Stormbel

It is here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...m/public/en_gb
Old May 28, 2017, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Habiz
Thank you for all the work that has gone into this thread. Lots of useful information.

Our flight is a category 3 flight (~4500Km and outside EU) and was cancelled today. We've been put on a flight tomorrow. Surely this meets the criteria for compensation given we will be arriving 24 hours late? (i.e. 600 Euros per person)

Secondly, my son is an infant and we have paid 10% ticket price for him to fly on our lap. Is there any set amount of compensation in this circumstance?

Thanks again, this thread is brilliant.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Habiz, although I am sorry you've found yourself caught up in this fiasco! Now that you've found us I hope you will stay around.

You (and your infant) may well be entitled to EC261 compensation and there is nothing preventing you from making a claim now. However, we still do not know officially what the root cause of this problem is and so there is a possibility (and only a possibility) that BA may not be liable to pay delay or cancellation compensation under EC261. You will find the claim form in the post above.

Do let us know how you get on.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Question: do we separately have the right to any EC261 compensation even if we've cancelled the trip and got a refund? She has lost the value of theatre tickets apart from the inconvenience.
Yes, if you were on a flight that was explicitly cancelled then you should get EC261 compensation on top of the refund. Article 5.1.c to be precise.

You won't get anything for the theatre tickets (but do ring them up, they may be understanding about the situation) but hopefully the EC compensation will assist, if you can work out some insurance route (e.g. via the credit card concerned).

This is assuming extraordinary circumstances doesn't apply, and the evidence is all tending to suggest it isn't extraordinary in this context.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I was booked on the 0655 MUC that was cancelled this morning. I was rebooked to STR which left at 1000. I'm on the train to Munich now and will be getting in around 1630.

Can I claim under EC261 for the cancellation even though I asked to be rerouted to STR? The rest of the MUC departures were full booked today

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
Can I claim under EC261 for the cancellation even though I asked to be rerouted to STR? The rest of the MUC departures were full booked today
Yes you can. If your flight was cancelled at short notice you get compensation and either a refund or a rebooking. You opted for the rebooking and STR is a reasonable alternative to MUC given the German rail network.

Usual caveat about extraordinary circumstances applies.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
I was scheduled to fly BA55 to JNB and connect to CPT on Comair. I have been able to secure a seat on this evening's BA55 to JNB but now connecting to SA on the JNB-CPT legs when Comair is wide open.

1. I am assuming that I am eligible for the EC261 compensation (€600 for a 24 hour delay).
2. Will the SA segment impact the compensation amount?
3. Should I push at check-in to be put on Comair for the JNB-CPT leg?
Old May 28, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
3. Should I push at check-in to be put on Comair for the JNB-CPT leg?
If you are in business class and booked on an SA widebody for JNB-CPT, then absolutely not! There would be some slight pain from necessarily having a bus gate when embarking at JNB, but it would be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.