Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 3:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I suspect I know the answer to this but want to double check. My sister had 2 flights booked for today (Manchester to LHR, LHR to BSL). The LHR to BSL flight was not affected by the IT outage but the MAN to LHR leg was cancelled (and they only told her with a text message at 4am this morning).

BA has rebooked her on a flight out tomorrow for all the segments and put her up in a hotel for tonight. For cancellation compensation purposes, is she entitled to compensation for both elements of the journey (i.e. one lot of EURO250 for MAN to LHR and one for LHR to BSL) or is she just entitled to compensation for the MAN to LHR route?

(FTR I suspect it's just one 250 claim but want to make sure)

Cheers

1F
One claim for the whole route assuming it is booked as one ticket.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I suspect I know the answer to this but want to double check. My sister had 2 flights booked for today (Manchester to LHR, LHR to BSL). The LHR to BSL flight was not affected by the IT outage but the MAN to LHR leg was cancelled (and they only told her with a text message at 4am this morning).
If it's one booking, then one claim. If it's two bookings, it still looks like one claim, since only one was directly affected. But it could theoretically be two.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Damn you guys are fast. Many thanks as always!

1F
Old May 28, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There was some discussion in the previous year's thread on this point. Personally I think it's BHD-FCO, so 1950 km approx, since that was the trip the customer was delayed under. However 7.1 can be read the way BA has read it, in that direction. If it had happened in the other direction and you were 5 hours late into BHD then it is definitely 1950 km, which I think is an illogical outcome. So you'll get the lower amount unless you have the appetite to take it further for the extra 150€.
Has there been clarity on this recently? It seems ludicrous to me that the calculation should be based on a late segment rather than the distance between origin and destination.

Just off of a SEA - EDI single ticket itinerary where I was involuntarily rerouted (which was actually ok), then a 5 hour delay in LHR to EDI arriving 5 hours late - it would seem against the spirit of the rules for that to count as a < 1500km flight?

I'll definitely want to challenge it if that's the approach BA takes but any recent experiences?
Old May 29, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
Has there been clarity on this recently? It seems ludicrous to me that the calculation should be based on a late segment rather than the distance between origin and destination.

Just off of a SEA - EDI single ticket itinerary where I was involuntarily rerouted (which was actually ok), then a 5 hour delay in LHR to EDI arriving 5 hours late - it would seem against the spirit of the rules for that to count as a < 1500km flight?

I'll definitely want to challenge it if that's the approach BA takes but any recent experiences?
FWIW I was given 600€ with no problems for a delay on MAD-LHR that led to me missing LHR-LAX and was rerouted through MEX on IB.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
My wife and I and two little ones were caught up in Gatwick on Saturday to go to Marrakech.

It was a BA holiday booked with my BA Amex, and as far as I can see on the terms and conditions we will get a refund, but do I need to do anything at all or will they just refund us? Obviously tried to call but have had no luck speaking with anyone.. We would have liked to go later this week but just can't speak with anyone for options?!

Also looking at the other posts we should be in line for compensation as per the EC regs as we had additional expenses and take it we should get €400pp?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Pleasantly surprised to discover that Mrs Starship73 can claim under EC261 even though I purchased her flight (which was cancelled on Saturday) using Avios points. Claim submitted....
Old May 29, 2017, 4:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Starship73
Pleasantly surprised to discover that Mrs Starship73 can claim under EC261 even though I purchased her flight (which was cancelled on Saturday) using Avios points. Claim submitted....
Yes, it is the passenger who is entitled to the compensation under EC261. We still are uncertain whether or not events on Saturday are eligible for delay and cancellation compensation under EC261. I think it likely they are, but we have to wait and see what BA's view is on this and what was the actual cause for the IT meltdown. I suspect this is the reason BA are being rather coy in providing any more detail.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've submitted my EU261 claim, let's see what happens. I suspect and hope that given the massive amount of negative publicity around this weekend'e events that BA won't attempt to wriggle out of it, and after all we know that many people do not claim nor know to claim. They may feel thay have burned enough goodwill already. First time I have ever tried this, the last time the duty of care was good enough that I did not think it felt right.

This trip would have got my daughter 180TP, taking her to Silver. This would have meant greater Avios during the remained of 2017 and a lot of 2018, as well as lounge access for two more family members. I have asked BA to make this up ex gratia; I imagine that the new customer-friendly BA will tell me where to go (though there is a possibility that this weekend may cause a reversion to being nice to people), but if you don't ask you definitely don't get.

S
Old May 29, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Not that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
FWIW I was given 600€ with no problems for a delay on MAD-LHR that led to me missing LHR-LAX and was rerouted through MEX on IB.
Yes I would expect that, but that's rather different: the first flight being shorthaul and then leading to a missed connection. What is under the spotlight here is when the longhaul works fine, and it's the last shorthaul sector that is affected. Because of the wording of EC261 (which refers to "flights" not "trips" or "journeys" in the relevant recitals) the airlines treat that as a short trip not a long one. Essentially it can be argued both ways but the airlines have chosen the cheapest outcome, amazingly. As far as I am aware, all European airlines adopt this practice.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jap1
Also looking at the other posts we should be in line for compensation as per the EC regs as we had additional expenses and take it we should get €400pp?
I think that should apply as well as a refund if you don't rebook. But you need to call BA Holidays (not the BA Contact Centre). The number is in your PDF documentation for the flight and more information is on the main thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ee-please.html
Old May 29, 2017, 5:24 am

Not that I'm aware of.

Yes I would expect that, but that's rather different: the first flight being shorthaul and then leading to a missed connection. What is under the spotlight here is when the longhaul works fine, and it's the last shorthaul sector that is affected. Because of the wording of EC261 (which refers to "flights" not "trips" or "journeys" in the relevant recitals) the airlines treat that as a short trip not a long one. Essentially it can be argued both ways but the airlines have chosen the cheapest outcome, amazingly. As far as I am aware, all European airlines adopt this practice.
I suppose I'm not surprised the airlines have chosen the cheapest option however since it is open to interpretation, does anyone have any experience of this going to arbitration?

Secondly, if my SEA - LHR flight had been late by 3 hours but due to a long layover I still made my LHR - EDI flight and arrived at my original scheduled time of arrival, would the airline have effectively still paid compensation? (This doesn't make sense to me but for a consistent interpretation, they should?)
Old May 29, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Secondly, if my SEA - LHR flight had been late by 3 hours but due to a long layover I still made my LHR - EDI flight and arrived at my original scheduled time of arrival, would the airline have effectively still paid compensation? (This doesn't make sense to me but for a consistent interpretation, they should?)
Well rightly or wrongly I know the answer to that question. Had it been on one reservation (PNR) you would not have got compensation. Had it been on two reservations you would.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:35 am

Well rightly or wrongly I know the answer to that question. Had it been on one reservation (PNR) you would not have got compensation. Had it been on two reservations you would.
Right, and that makes sense with an interpretation that delays are based on the scheduled time of arrival of a reservation. I'll push for the full long-haul amount. As I'm not that fussed about actual monetary compensation, are BA more likely to accommodate 60k avios rather than 600 euros?
Old May 29, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

. As I'm not that fussed about actual monetary compensation, are BA more likely to accommodate 60k avios rather than 600 euros?
BA do make Avios offers these days. I don't think it would do you any harm to say in your submission that you would be amenable to compensation in the form of Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.