Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG to establish budget long-haul operation out of BCN [branded as Level]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG to establish budget long-haul operation out of BCN [branded as Level]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:01 pm

Now they are saying it's IB Express with IB pilots and IB A330 (so they would only have to train flight attendants on the A330): http://fly-news.es/aerolineas/iberia...-radio-de-iag/

I guess we'll know for sure soon.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DFB_london
why wait three years. He damaged Vueling disastrously and signed off on a disastrous for passengers and shareholders summer schedule? Time for a repeat?

Do you care to explain further? only my knowledge of his management of Vueling is unknown...but it really seems like this business idea is Cruz/WW!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Now they are saying it's IB Express with IB pilots and IB A330 (so they would only have to train flight attendants on the A330): http://fly-news.es/aerolineas/iberia...-radio-de-iag/

Interesting - I imagine quite a number of I2 cabin crew would be excited by the opportunity of long-haul flying, even on a night-stop basis.

Some won't of course, but with a fleet of only two then presumably not all crew will be required to do it, at least initially.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Interesting - I imagine quite a number of I2 cabin crew would be excited by the opportunity of long-haul flying, even on a night-stop basis.

Some won't of course, but with a fleet of only two then presumably not all crew will be required to do it, at least initially.
In theory there aren't any I2 cabin crew based in BCN so it's going to be rather more complicated than "hands up if you want to volunteer for long haul".
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:32 am

They talk about two A330 to begin with, IB will get another 2 in Feb./ March.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A few scant details emerged from the Airlines for Europe forum today:
  • BCN is a first location to enable VY to provide feed.
  • More bases will be forthcoming in Europe.
  • Branding is yet to be decided.
  • "Moving at a pace that is quite fast"---Willie Walsh.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:24 am

There was a piece in the ABC newspaper: http://www.abc.es/economia/abci-iber...0_noticia.html

According to it, Iberia is in the final stages of planning and negotiating with its employees to present their proposal for this operation to IAG, apparently in competition with the other IAG airlines (although BA is not in the running).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to it, Iberia is in the final stages of planning and negotiating with its employees to present their proposal for this operation to IAG, apparently in competition with the other IAG airlines (although BA is not in the running).
Is that really a sensible use of management time within IAG? Internal competition for a tender?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I hope VY have improved their punctuality out of/into BCN. Otherwise, there will be lots of EU261 claims
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Is that really a sensible use of management time within IAG? Internal competition for a tender?
Probably not but it's not uncommon within BA and has been so since Willie Walsh engaged in the "fight for survival" in 2008. (Definitely not an Alex Cruz idea in case anyone thinks that !).
Apart from driving down cost, IAG management will see the internal tender process as having the added benefit of subjugating the staff with the ever present threat of outsourcing.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flights are set to start in June, according to IAG. Still no word on the branding.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Calchas
Flights are set to start in June, according to IAG. Still no word on the branding.
In memory of the last LoCo created by BA

GO 2
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Worcester

GO 2
...Hell?

Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

GO 2
In memory of the last LoCo created by BA would be BA2, but for many of us, that evokes the flight number of what BA does best...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC

GO 2
IAG is bigger than just BA and it doesn't appear BA is anywhere near this.

No word on branding, but it looks to be likely that it will be operated by IB.

(I still bet it sticks with the VY brand)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.