Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying an "Extra Seat" questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Buying an "Extra Seat" questions

I'm interested in booking an extra or "comfort" seat for an upcoming BA transatlantic flight. At 200 pounds I'm not that fat, but the flight is going to be on a 787, which from my one other experience is pure misery. I'm traveling with my son and two of his friends.

I only paid $290 for my round-trip tickets, which I think comes out to zero dollars plus taxes and fees. If I understand, the minimum BA charges for extra seats on flights like this is Ł300, so I'll be paying for for the extra seat than my own, but I can live with that.

Now for my questions:

1. How will the extra seat be assigned? Will I need to pay for seat reservations for everyone in order to use the extra seat?

2. The rules allow one to purchase an extra seat for an item. Does this mean I can bring on an extra personal item? (I want to travel with a carry on, a smallish laptop pack, and a somewhat large wedge pillow that I hope to use to sleep).

3. Will the extra seat show up as a "passenger" in my booking, so that I can go online and perhaps move our seats around if I wish?

Thanks for any information from anyone with experience in this matter.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Not sure of any specific answers but surely you'd have been better off if you'd booked both tickets on the same PNR. Having separate tickets, even if paying for seat selection, doesn't guarantee the seats remain together.

Just out of curiosity what name did you put on the extra booking?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by babats
Not sure of any specific answers but surely you'd have been better off if you'd booked both tickets on the same PNR. Having separate tickets, even if paying for seat selection, doesn't guarantee the seats remain together.

Just out of curiosity what name did you put on the extra booking?
You need to ring and they will put the extra seat on your booking. It's cheaper as you don't pay tax/charges on it.

You don't book it yourself otherwise you may be refused travel like the girl who booked a seat for her cello and gave it a name. She didn't fly due to lack of esta for the Mr Cello or whatever name she used.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I posted this in my original baggage thread that has since been expanded on.

Well the good news is that BA will sell you an extra seat, the one right next to you in fact so that you can breathe out. This is also useful for people who have a medical condition that requires you to need a another seat(s). The easiest thing to do in these situations is call BA or your experienced travel agent and get them to do the booking for you.

E&OE
The BA site (http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ving-your-seat) says:

Booking an extra seat for additional personal space

Please contact us (or your travel agent) to make a booking for an extra seat as this type of booking cannot be made online.
If you arrive at the airport and haven't booked an extra seat in advance, please speak to a British Airways representative. If there are seats available in the cabin you are travelling in, you may be able to buy an extra seat.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
So that also means you have to pay the extra service fee for a telephone booking.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:25 am

So that also means you have to pay the extra service fee for a telephone booking.
Probably not - as far as I konw the charge is only for things that you could have done online.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by RGS5526
Probably not - as far as I konw the charge is only for things that you could have done online.
Not so. The charge is waived when the functionality is available online but not working for some reason. If it's not offered online then the fee is due, although historically it has often been waived.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I'm interested in booking an extra or "comfort" seat for an upcoming BA transatlantic flight.

I only paid $290 for my round-trip tickets, which I think comes out to zero dollars plus taxes and fees. If I understand, the minimum BA charges for extra seats on flights like this is Ł300, so I'll be paying for for the extra seat than my own, but I can live with that.
Not clear if you already booked the EXST as a DIY job or if you're still in the planning stages. As others have mentioned, please don't try and book EXST yourself online as a fictitious person - if you've already done this, call BA to get this corrected, or you may have issues at check-in.

Now for my questions:

1. How will the extra seat be assigned? Will I need to pay for seat reservations for everyone in order to use the extra seat?
If properly setup as an EXST, BA will assign the seats for your two seats. Your companions will not have seats assigned.

2. The rules allow one to purchase an extra seat for an item. Does this mean I can bring on an extra personal item? (I want to travel with a carry on, a smallish laptop pack, and a somewhat large wedge pillow that I hope to use to sleep).
An EXST does not have any extra baggage/carry-on allowance. You will be one item over. Can one of your companions carry it for you, as one of their pieces?

3. Will the extra seat show up as a "passenger" in my booking, so that I can go online and perhaps move our seats around if I wish?
Whether it shows up depends on how it is booked. If you already have all the human seats booked but now need to add another, it won't show. You will not be able to change the seating either.

Ideally, this is booked as 2 seats one human in one PNR, everyone else in a separate PNR. You may consider splitting your companions on a separate PNR - then they can do paid seating if desired.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:18 pm

Is the extra seat entitled to EU261 compensation?
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
No, as it's extra product (space), not an extra passenger. EU comp is per person, not per seat/per square inch...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
We've just got a quotation for an extra seat for a trip to Gran Canaria next year; pretty good rate. If we can get the emergency exit seats we will probably go with it. The alternative is Row 1 with easyJet but with BA the extra luggage allowance helps swing it. Lounges are better in the UK with BA but it's the same one in LPA. By then we will buying on board with BA which is the same as easyJet. The cost of flying Club was too high.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tuff
We've just got a quotation for an extra seat for a trip to Gran Canaria next year; pretty good rate. If we can get the emergency exit seats we will probably go with it. The alternative is Row 1 with easyJet but with BA the extra luggage allowance helps swing it. Lounges are better in the UK with BA but it's the same one in LPA. By then we will buying on board with BA which is the same as easyJet. The cost of flying Club was too high.
Did you look at booking N in HBO and UuAing to CE? And I think it would assist others if you could put the quotes for the extra seat up.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
What is the purpose of the extra seat?

If its lateral room I don't see how row 1 easyjet will help since its narrower then a normal seat. If its for legroom, I don't see how an extra seat helps? I suppose emergency exit is a fairly good compromise between the two.

If luggage swings things, don't forget to factor in that upfront seats with easyjet let you have an additional piece of hand luggage and speedy boarding.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it would assist others if you could put the quotes for the extra seat up.
Don't know what they were quoted of course but an EXST is essentially the base fare added in again; two fares, one set of taxes/fees/charges.

However, that's as long as the EXST is booked both ways - if only oneway on a return, or only on shorthaul flights connecting to a longhaul, then it gets messy and expensive.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the extra seat is for a COS, the carrier might not allow that person to sit in an exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.