Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight attendant 'poisoned' by cabin fumes

Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold

From the Dec. 4 edition of The Times:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ne...umes-d0bzr38bf

To read the entire article, you have login, but I have cut and paste the article below sent to me by a friend:

BA attendant ‘poisoned’ by cabin fumes
Mark Hookham, Transport Correspondent
December 4 2016, 12:01am, The Sunday Times
Dadd: toxic chemicals found in body after flightsTIMES NEWSPAPERS LTD Share
Save
A former British Airways flight attendant claims her health collapsed after she was “poisoned” by fumes while working on aircraft, as it emerged that four UK airlines are being sued by 74 cabin crew who say they were exposed to contaminated air.
Trudie Dadd, 56, says she suffered “unbelievable fatigue”, memory and stomach problems, confusion, and numbness in her feet after she was twice exposed in one year to fumes on BA flights.....
[rest of copy-and-pasted article removed per FlyerTalk rules concerning the posting of copyrighted material]

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 4, 2016 at 10:07 pm Reason: Posting of copyrighted material violation http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#copyrighted
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Airtoxic syndrome has been a much discussed issue, most people don't realise that the cabin air supply on most aircraft comes from a bleed in the engines and can get contaminated. Apparently the Bae 146 was quite bad for this, though various investigations have failed to demonstrate unsafe levels of toxic compounds in Cabin air supplies.

That said I believe the 787's (and all future Boeing aircraft) air supply no longer comes from the engine.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:22 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think there's little doubt that cabin air can get contaminated. AIUI the real dispute is whether those incidents have caused the serious health issues that have been experienced by some crew members, or whether those health issues have been caused by other things.

Those who are campaigning on the basis of the former (and who may be right) are very good at making sure that the issue is periodically in the headlines. Although I don't have access to that Sunday Times article, the word "emerged" suggests that this may be another episode of that. I thought that the fact that there's a significant number of claims against airlines was already known and reported. (I leave aside the cynical thought that the journalist has used the phrase "it emerged" as a synonym for "I have just discovered".)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:34 am

The 787s use air from electrical compressors rather than engine bleed. AIUI this was done to make engine changes quicker and different types of engines more interchangeable. I don't think it has been replicated in any other aircraft yet. The A380 uses bleed air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.