Wiki Posts
Search

Divorcing with BA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The BA LHR transit experience and the declining BA product and service levels are such that BA operated flights don't get my one-connection business unless it's priced at a discount for the poor experience aspects involved when choosing BA over another carrier.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Internaut
Can't speak for the premium experience, other than one very nice First, but I tend to avoid BA, these days, because the graph, for quality of long haul economy service quality, has only one trajectory.
I have an all round far better experience on both Emirates and Qatar. BA are scrapping Raid The Larder, for economy class passengers. On my flights with the ME carriers, I never feel the need to even find out if there's a larder to raid. Add to that, the entertainment is better and there's cheap, on board internet, which recently proved very useful for staying in touch with the office during a flight (plans made, reviewed, discussed and approved over an eight hour day flight).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Heliboy adds another excellent post to the ever-growing list of similar "goodbye BA" threads, and there's little to argue about in his posts.

I know virtually nothing about BA s/h, apart from the hops between JER and LGW, and only ever fly J l/h ... where our traval has shifted to AA westbound. Monday's BA to CPT may well be our last BA l/h for a long time ... and BA won't care one iota.

The only thing that will change anything is when/if loads and/or revenue shift negatively, and I suspect there will still be a long queue of occasional pax (or those bound by Company policies) who have no points of reference about how BA used to be (or don't even care). Until the Great British Public learn to compare price/service to the same extent we do here on FT, BA will totter on.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Well, I still prefer BA/AA over LH/UA in J going west.
My experience is that Star is significantly more expensive ex OSL and offers less direct destinations to the US. So, altough BA's product has deteriorated in recent years, OW is in my book still the best choice for my west bound travel.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by gordon0808
Well, I still prefer BA/AA over LH/UA in J going west.
My experience is that Star is significantly more expensive ex OSL and offers less direct destinations to the US. So, altough BA's product has deteriorated in recent years, OW is in my book still the best choice for my west bound travel.
Most of my travel is south and east. West would probably still be BA, for me. Going west, I don't think there are any great options for the economy traveler.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Internaut
Most of my travel is south and east. West would probably still be BA, for me. Going west, I don't think there are any great options for the economy traveler.
AA?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Heliboy
Even BA personel strikes from time to time. And if LH strikes, they have at least alliance partners that can step in and take you in the same direction without too much fuzz.
Having been through the mill with Lufthansa in the last few weeks, I wish you the best of luck there, suffice to say it was a blessed release to get out of Frankfurt and to get to Heathrow. I'm Senator with them and that certainly is no guarantee of good service recovery. LH have rather a lot of stikes, incidentally, and the notice period is bordering on wildcat.

Now I try not to challenge too hard on other people's experience, they are what they are, and I certainly do recognise some aspects of what you are saying. But in all candour, if I was getting as bad a service as you, I would have jumped long ago - and my experiences are simply different. In particular if you think you're going to whizz through Frankfurt, or any large airport, faster than T5 then you are in for a few surprises. Fast track has improved remarkably in the last few years (you can tell it has, since the complaints about it happen here have greatly reduced).

I wish you well in your separation, and indeed that is absolutely the right thing to do when you get to a certain point.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
So today I had a bit of a last minute change of plans, and had to fly UA...

oh no! I hear you say, HOWEVER, yesterday they launched the new Polaris soft product, which, granted I only have a 1 flight sample so far, was on par with AA - the crew were rightly proud to present and provide the new service. Now, when the new Polaris hard product is installed in the New Year, I think United will/should be a new carrier of choice for those defecting.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Since you haven't flown on Ryanair (I presume thats what you mean?) do you feel you're best placed to make any real comparison?

To that point, couldn't it be argued that travellers like you are exactly the kind of customer that BA is targeting with this strategy? Since you've said you won't fly their biggest short-haul competitor under any circumstances, BA don't need to be competitive with Ryanair on price or service offering as there is a cohort of passengers who are either suffering from change aversion/inertia/Stockholm syndrome/snobbery (take your pick) and will grumble but ultimately suffer in silence.

I'm being deliberately provocative, but since BA can't compete with FR or Easy on cost, if they are providing a service thats no different then there must be some intangible the they are relying on for this to work!
I also avoid LCCs. I also fly BA a lot, maybe about twice a week from LHR, due to them often being the only non LCC carrier (or only OW carrier) on my short domestic/European domestic routes and because it takes less than half an hour for me to go from home to Heathrow. So for those short routes, I'm bound to BA.

But I also do long trips where there is full service airlines competition and on those routes, the chance of me actually choosing to buy a BA ticket is a big fat zero unless they were significantly cheaper than the alternatives. Which going by the number of long haul BA flights I've taken over the last few years, is not very often.

As I said before:
In Y you will go hungry unless you pay for food.
In PEY you will go hungry unless you pay for food.
In J they have still downgraded the catering plus the CW seat was starting to look old 5 years ago.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

At LHR T5 F passengers should be driven in a car or luxury mini bus from the Concorde room to B or C gates. None of this mixing with the hoi polloi

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Dec 2, 2016 at 10:20 am
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLT
Sad to have to say it, but as a London-based lifetime AA Plat/OWS):

Shorthaul: whoever's cheapest/got the best times from LHR or LGW;

Going west: AA if it's a destination served by a B773;

Going south or east: QR or CX. It's a bit of a detour going to JNB via Doha, but the last time I went the BA A380 took a 15 hour delay anyway.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Blue
Since BA and you are getting divorced, who is going to win custody of the Baby Bus:-)
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
So today I had a bit of a last minute change of plans, and had to fly UA...

oh no! I hear you say, HOWEVER, yesterday they launched the new Polaris soft product, which, granted I only have a 1 flight sample so far, was on par with AA - the crew were rightly proud to present and provide the new service. Now, when the new Polaris hard product is installed in the New Year, I think United will/should be a new carrier of choice for those defecting.
But did you get the bear??
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:34 am

Shouldn't there be a master thread for defectors?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
AA?
Been a good few years since I flew AA TATL in Y. Back then, it it was paid booze, none existent entertainment and frumpy flight attendants.

Originally Posted by flygod
Shouldn't there be a master thread for defectors?
Depends. There are outright defectors, and also avoiders. I'm in the latter camp.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.