Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insulted by Crew Member -complain or not ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:20 pm

I have traveled with someone who needs an extension belt on roughly half of the planes, sometimes in business sometimes economy. I have always proactively asked for an extension for my companion when boarding to let the FAs handle when it works best for them. Despite the great variance in FA quality over the years, I've never seen any of them call attention to a large person. Maybe just lucky, but I have always felt the proactive polite and discreet request helped.

Sorry you got the business from that one, but don't let it get you down. I would take the apology you got from the purser and call it a day. Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cswriter
Despite the great variance in FA quality over the years, I've never seen any of them call attention to a large person. Maybe just lucky, but I have always felt the proactive polite and discreet request helped.
Even if my request for an extender has been quite audible, most FAs usually go out of the way to be extremely discrete when passing me the extender. So it really does surprise me that the OP encountered an FA that would be less than discrete in addressing this issue. Y

Yes, making sure that everyone has their seatbelt fastened is an important safety issue, but there are certainly more discrete passenger friendly ways of verifying than the way the OP's FA chose to address it, none of which would require any extra effort than shouting the words to the entire cabin.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Over time, as the belts fray, they are clipped until they are replaced. That is a non-issue and it is not that you are getting fatter, simply that you may have hit a shorter belt.
Oh, you have just made my evening.

On a few recent short haul BA flights I have had the buckle right at the end of the belt. I am carrying a few extra pounds and there was me thinking things had got to the point I might have to shift a pound or two or ask for an extension belt. How pleased am I that I can now put it down to a clipped belt^

Never even crossed my mind that BA had been cost cutting on the seat belts. Now I won't feel so bad when I am eating my buy onboard M&S high fat sandwich and a bag of crisps.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Belt length does vary noticeably by aircraft type, I'm fine on most of the BA fleet... except for the A321, when I always require the extender. The difference is marginal, probably 1.5in, but just enough to tip the balance in my case!

I find though that most of the time the crew are more embarrassed to ask during final checks... occasionally you get someone who huffs a bit when asked for the extension, I just put that down to the usual tired/overworked/underpaid bored/homesick (change as appropriate) crew.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I am a larger lady but have not had any problem with the seat belts on BA or any other UK carrier but i more than likely would have replied "no i don't you cheeky blooming sod".

I fly some dosmetics in india and i do need a seat belt extension there,i take my own with me now after we took a flight to kerela,the head cabin crew spoke so loud the whole plane could hear,i felt awful as we were in row 1,lucky for our return he was on duty again and handed to me without asking.So i just take my own no more embarrassment for me.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:11 pm

Sometimes I've heard cabin crew sound quite B1tchy. Comes with the territory if you ask me. Take it with a pinch of salt and move on. I am sure he doesn't even remember now. Further action will be like telling a dog off a day after its shat on the floor
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

Complain if you want to.

LOVE the new signature!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by chris1979
LOVE the new signature!
Aye! ^
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
"Choose not to be harmed and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed and you haven’t been."
-Marcus Aurelius
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:42 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
How extraordinary

I wonder what NWI Flyer would have thought.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes, I am wondering why he felt the need to ask such a sensitive question 'at the top of his voice'.
It is a significant understatement to say that the phrase "at the top of his voice" is a highly subjective determination. Was the FA yelling? Not likely.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CCayley
I am fat enough to need an extension belt on some aircraft, and in my experience it virtually never occurs to BA crew pro-actively to offer one: I always have to ask. I would be delighted if my need was identified without me having to attract attention and ask every time.

Had the crewmember called you fat, you would be justified in complaining. But asking you if you want an extension belt is not 'effectively calling [you] fat' except in your own mind.

I have learned to accept that anyone I encounter who isn't blind may consider me fat (or worse), which in my case is fair enough because I absolutely am! Perhaps some people who encounter you may think you are fat, too. Who knows? What I do know is that you have the same level of control over what people you meet think as I have, i.e. none. I really don't think what was said to you would have affected the views of other passengers, and whilst I understand you may be upset, I really don't think you have much basis for a formal complaint.
What works well for me is to tell the FA as I board that I need an extender. Usually they grab it right than or sometimes they ask for my seat and bring it to me. A couple of times they have thanked me for letting them know ahead time stating it made things easier than trying to get around a crowded plane to deliver the belt.

I always wondered if I could just buy one of my own to carry. Having to google that
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chris1979
LOVE the new signature!
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Aye! ^
My thoughts too . I also note you are no longer working with BA BBB. Are you still employed within the airline industry ? Sincerely hope you are as your knowledge, opinion and expertise is always welcome.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by SENEDIsoon?

Whilst the purser/senior crew apologised .
That most probably means that he did / say something wrong

Very sorry for your bad experience.

Complain if that will help you to move forward.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:51 am

Really? Id suggest a quick apology is more of a an easy way to end the matter rather than an admission of wrongdoing.

I would also bet that virtually no one else in the cabin took any notice and that the" insult" is largely in the OPs own mind....YMMV of course.... but I'm with Luca Windus on this one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.