Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlife Connect (Inflight Wi-Fi)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Amil
my guess is my flight tmw on the a380 lax-lhr wont have it as well ? lol
There is no connectivity on any BA service at the moment, I think we are still several months off before it will be enabled and there will be a lot of publicity when it has happened, doubtless in this forum too.

The exception is a limited form of connectivity (not WIFI) on LCY-JFK services.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is that being upgraded to the new system as well?

john
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is no connectivity on any BA service at the moment, I think we are still several months off before it will be enabled and there will be a lot of publicity when it has happened, doubtless in this forum too.

There is now connectivity on a few planes. People on Twitter are mentioning it while they're flying. It looks like they're only finding it by accident as it's not being announced by the crews onboard. I assume they're not paying for it yet.
So far the only planes I've seen mentioned with working wifi are the 747's in the CIV series (I've seen CIVC/R/S/V and Y mentioned).
My guess is that this is all part of the testing process - let people find it by accident, check everything's working then make a big announcement at some point in the future.

Last edited by Schind; Sep 11, 2017 at 6:28 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
BA 116 looks to be G-CIVI tonight - I will report back if it's available there.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 pm

The installation and enabling of wifi is months behind schedule. I would not hold your breath for the "announcement".
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:10 pm

I am not at all bothered about this development btw - they can take as long as they like.

I am truly dreading the prospect of some loud, self important J pax doing a skype call as I try and relax.

Additionally I assume that on any given flight there will be at least one idiot who will attempt to stream hi def movies or something equally crazy, thus hogging the bandwidth (unless there are tools to guard against this).

So I certainly won't be relying on this capability even if it is rolled out.

This is not in any way a dig at BA btw - it's a comment on the human propensity to spoil stuff.

Pre-rant over. aaaaaand..... relax. ;-)
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I am not at all bothered about this development btw - they can take as long as they like.

I am truly dreading the prospect of some loud, self important J pax doing a skype call as I try and relax.

Additionally I assume that on any given flight there will be at least one idiot who will attempt to stream hi def movies or something equally crazy, thus hogging the bandwidth (unless there are tools to guard against this).

This is not in any way a dig at BA btw - it's a comment on the human propensity to spoil stuff.

I believe VOIP services will be blocked, so won't be able to make Skype, WhatsApp, Messenger or FaceTime Audio calls.

If I am completely honest, it really does nothing for me at all either. My jet now does not have wifi because the principal said it is his only time he is away from phone calls, emails, messages etc. and he can relax, have something to eat without being interrupted, have a proper sleep on long sectors and enjoy a movie or some reading etc. And that is how I feel when I get on a plane too. Not that I am as popular as the boss
Tobias-UK and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I believe VOIP services will be blocked, so won't be able to make Skype, WhatsApp, Messenger or FaceTime Audio calls...
I hope you're right, I've been on a couple of flights where a passenger has decided to shout down the phone mid flight.

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
... If I am completely honest, it really does nothing for me at all either. My jet now does not have wifi because the principal said it is his only time he is away from phone calls, emails, messages etc. and he can relax, have something to eat without being interrupted, have a proper sleep on long sectors and enjoy a movie or some reading etc. And that is how I feel when I get on a plane too. Not that I am as popular as the boss
This ^
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:46 pm

Good to hear. I feel better now. Was way more bothered abt the phone call thing than the potential data hogging.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I could be wrong, but I remember reading the information about it when it first was announced and I still worked for BA, and remember reading that, but that could have changed since then!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I must have done several hundred FT posts from inflight wifi on various airlines (and even a few from BA1, though that was painful). So that's on Iberia, Qatar, AA, Norwegian, Cathay, LATAM, Singapore, Turkish and Lufthansa in the last year - it certainly isn't anything new now. It can make a long flight go past very quickly, and I can't really point to anything bad in terms other passenger's behaviour, in terms of what I have seen so far. In some ways it is self regulating. For example AA's system is often too slow to support voice calls, particularly on longer flights, as a result of GoGo's aggressive marketing to different segments of the market. Whereas AA's network speed is quite reasonable on paper, it does get overloaded, and even Flyertalk gets a bit tedious in terms of screen refreshes, but too slow for anything too adventurous or anti social.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:40 pm

Cool - so ok for text emails etc only. Works for me.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:00 pm

Virgin Atlantic are proudly advertising the fact (on TV) that their entire fleet is now wifi equipped.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Pascoe

This.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Virgin Atlantic are proudly advertising the fact (on TV) that their entire fleet is now wifi equipped.

The internet. Now on Virgin Atlantic - YouTube
Well that may be true but it was painfully slow on my TATL today. And at Ł15 per 150mb it is really only good for basic emails and instant messaging. It took a few minutes to upload a small photo over whatsapp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.