Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

50% bonus when purchasing Avios from BA.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% bonus when purchasing Avios from BA.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Purchase Price...

Hi Everyone,

Glad I found this, hoping you can help. 150,000 Avios comes to 2775.00 or about .18 an Avios. Since you all would know better, is that a good purchasing price?

Thanks,

UG
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Glad I found this, hoping you can help. 150,000 Avios comes to 2775.00 or about .18 an Avios. Since you all would know better, is that a good purchasing price?
That all depends on the currency.

In EUR, 150k cost 1800.

Because I am registered with an address in Switerland, BA wants to charge me CHF 2930 for 150k. This equals about EUR 2710, a "Swiss surchage" of more than 50%! Thanks, but no thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by goliath
That all depends on the currency.

In EUR, 150k cost 1800.

Because I am registered with an address in Switerland, BA wants to charge me CHF 2930 for 150k. This equals about EUR 2710, a "Swiss surchage" of more than 50%! Thanks, but no thanks.
Do you have an Iberia account? They may charge you in euros and their prices are comparable to BA (uk) and have the 50% Avios bonus too. I dont know about the Swiss system for moving avios between Iberia and BAEC but it could be a work around.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by BA6501
There's the same promotion with Iberia - not sure about pricing, but it might be better as it often is.
Iberia was always more generous when GBP was stronger, but it's pretty much the same now.

I thought IB offer had finished on 28 NOV as that was what HFP, etc had said. However, just went there and still running to 1 DEC. Decided to invest there and see how it works though on BAPP.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just purchased for 1800 euros. You guys know how long does it take to get it posted?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by pl840502
Just purchased for 1800 euros. You guys know how long does it take to get it posted?
On IB.com? Instant. You can bounce them through Avios.com (if you need to avoid HHA transfer restrictions) then into BAEC within a minute of purchase.

But the IB.com page header balance won't update as quickly. I think you have to log out / in to see the change. Maybe just a good hard page refresh .
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I've done it. 150000 avios + 2423 (due to the bonus on the BAPP) at £1615. Works out to be 1.059p per avios.

Not exactly a steal, but with business + first class redemptions in mind, I'm aiming for 2-3p per avios!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
On IB.com? Instant. You can bounce them through Avios.com (if you need to avoid HHA transfer restrictions) then into BAEC within a minute of purchase.

But the IB.com page header balance won't update as quickly. I think you have to log out / in to see the change. Maybe just a good hard page refresh .
Ah no...i used the 50% bonus link, it goes through points.com, 24 hours and still not posted...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
If buying today it's best to buy through Iberia (promotion finishes 1st Dec)

150,000 for €1800 = £1508 right now if you have Halifax Clarity or similar.

Works out at 1.005p per avios
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Assuming you are talking about the Black BA Amex then it delivers 1.5 MR per pound on anything you spend except on spends with BA itself which is 3 MR per pound.

Purchasing avios are done via a third party and remunerated at the 1.5 rate.

The blue and the intermediate card(s) will also earn MR but at a even lower rate. Google "BA amex" for more info
Update:

I've just looked at my amex statement and it has gone through as "BA BUY GBP" and not points.com.

Would be interesting to see if this qualifies for the 3 avios per £.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:16 pm

This is my first time considering to purchase Avios. The 100,000+50,000 Avios offer looks attractive to me.

My question: I cannot purchase the 100,000+50,000 for myself AND also gift an equal amount to another BAEC member, right? It is only either one?

However, can I purchase the 100,000+50,000 for myself AND ALSO be gifted an equal amount from aother BAEC member? Or, is it only either one?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
I'm afraid I can't help you with your second question regarding receiving a gift in addition to purchasing.
However, my reading of the T & C's suggest gifting to another BAEC member WOULD still allow you to purchase your full personal allowance.

"You can also purchase Avios as a gift for another Executive Club Member – make sure you know the recipient's full name, email address and Executive Club membership number. Purchasing Avios as a gift for another Member does not come out of your personal allowance so you are still free to purchase Avios for yourself."

Hope that clears up at least one of your queries.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Lawro
I'm afraid I can't help you with your second question regarding receiving a gift in addition to purchasing.
However, my reading of the T & C's suggest gifting to another BAEC member WOULD still allow you to purchase your full personal allowance.

"You can also purchase Avios as a gift for another Executive Club Member – make sure you know the recipient's full name, email address and Executive Club membership number. Purchasing Avios as a gift for another Member does not come out of your personal allowance so you are still free to purchase Avios for yourself."

Hope that clears up at least one of your queries.
Thank you.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by musehead
If buying today it's best to buy through Iberia (promotion finishes 1st Dec)

150,000 for €1800 = £1508 right now if you have Halifax Clarity or similar.

Works out at 1.005p per avios
My BAPP purchase on IB went through for £1590, so worse than a fee free card but better than buying on BA by £25.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:39 pm

When Do the Purchased Avios Post to the Account?

I have made the purchase 24 hours ago, but the Avios do not show up into my account yet. Normally, how long does this take?

On the same day, I have also gifted some Avios to another, and he does not see the Avios in his account yet either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.