Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Lounge Status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
Munich Sofa!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Happily I can report that I have apparently survived my visit to this lounge, although I was careful to keep my distance (at least approximately 20 feet) from the sofas. It was late breakfast time, but as I had taken breakfast earlier in my Munich hotel, I just grabbed some good vanilla ice cream and a coffee. I resisted, but I was tempted to take two tea bags and see what would happen.

The chairs, including the cream colored plastic ones, don't seem to be in such bad shape. I easily found two by a small low table in a fairly pleasant location.

BTW, for DL D1 (business class) passengers, no invitation is needed; you just show the boarding pass. The dragon announced boarding for the DL MSP-ATL flight.

I thought the path to the lounge was reasonably well signposted and I had no difficulty finding it. Lavatories are outside and down the hall, for public use but I don't think many members of the public make their way unless they're using the lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: TopBonus, Miles&More
Hi All,
just a note. I am often in MUC flying AB back to Berlin and like to make use of the BA Lounge rather than the Exclusive Wartebereich in Terminal A. Up until recently I have been able to leave the BA Lounge and walk down the long passageway to Terminal without having to pass through security again. This has now been changed and one must exit back into the outer terminal and then pass through security again in Terminal A. Needless to say this was an unwelcome surprise. Passkontrol could not tell me if this was only due to the construction but I suspect not and that this is now the drill for OW members who are leaving from Terminal but would like to use the BA Lounge.

Is there some other OW Lounge at MUC which might be easier to get in and out of for we humble domestic passengers?

thx,
WM
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
There's the Atlantik Lounge for AB pax - in area C. If this is Schengen, then you should be able to access it.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: TopBonus, Miles&More
Hi BA6501,

thanks - I've been there before as well but I believe one would have the same problem there. Go through Security in C to get to the lounge - but be forced to exit C and go back through Security in A just to get to the gate. Previously it was just a long walk back down to C but now going through security twice adds a whole new level of 'ugh'.

Maybe fly to London and then back to Berlin ;-)

thx,
WM
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by dylanks
The sofas were in terrible shape 2-3 years ago... Regarding food, there's a decent bakery airside right near BA's usual gate that is far better than the food you'll find in the lounge and reasonably priced. For me it's a last chance to get another pretzel before departing.
Yup, and they ain't getting better. I really don't know what the deal is here, whether MUC is going to raze the terminal or remodel radically, to the point where they've told BA to not bother doing anything here. I've shuttled around euro lounges which are by all accounts shocking, and they ain't a patch bad on MUC. I have to believe something is brewing badly in the terminal, this is a big business destination, lots of O/D flying, just does not make sense. I do take the point that, if this were going to be my long term regular route, I would have to switch to LH overall.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought the path to the lounge was reasonably well signposted and I had no difficulty finding it. Lavatories are outside and down the hall, for public use but I don't think many members of the public make their way unless they're using the lounge.
The lavs aren't signposted at all - when you hit the elevator for the lounge there are signs for men's lavs on the level below, nada for the ones at lounge level.

You come across as, by all accounts, a thoughtful and smart person. OH spent 30 minutes trying to locate the lounge the other week. It's signposted - sort of. But not well enough for people who are inferentially challenged

Originally Posted by William13
Maybe fly to London and then back to Berlin ;-)

thx,
WM
That would be the FT way
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Unless you are unnaturally attached to the BA teat, there is no reason no to choose LH for MUC (and FRA) flights. Better lounges, better terminal experience, and usually better onboard show as well. On those two routes I've completely given up on BA.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Especially from 11 Jan onwards. Also 5 minutes closer to London on the tube/HEX.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
OP reporting back after my trip. As many of you had experienced, the lounge was open despite what my itinerary said. I appreciated having your directions to the lounge in the presence of construction- the instructions provided by the check-in agent were completely wrong (and I had to enter via a different pier anyhow, as the security checkpoint nearest the lounge was closed while I was there).
The prized seats at the tables were all gone, but I did find one couch that was slightly less revolting than the others, and perched there for my breakfast. I had my expectations set low due to the comments in this thread, and therefore was actually quite pleased with the food selection, though somewhat intimidated by the lounge guardian, who was actively unfriendly. As far as BA lounges go, I've definitely seen worse (anyone been through DEL lately?). Thanks for all of the comment and feedback.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Filthy lounge furniture in Munich

I should have been warned by the lounge sign, which points to both the British Airways Galleries Lounge and the Herren-Toiletten, but I have never seen such fllthy furniture in an airline lounge - grubby, worn and stained armchairs and sofas in the part furthest from the entrance (I have photos, but haven't worked out how to add them here).

The lady at the lounge desk was clearly highly embarrassed when I asked her who was responsible for the management of the lounge (I was obviously one of many to do so) and said that the lounge is due to be refurbished. But for heaven's sake, what sort of mentality is it to have your premium lounge containing furniture which looks like it belongs in a skip?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Been like that for months if not years. BA are not interested in refurbishment. The state of that lounge is absolutely ridiculous.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I wouldn't be surprised if the MUC Galleries lounge went the same way as the ATH Terraces has recently done.

ATH had completely worn out furniture for several years following its partial refresh a few year back, before the lounge closed earlier this year.

The MUC lounge was one of the first full concept Galleries lounges in Europe when it opened, I think in 2009 - but it doesn't appear to have had a penny of investment since.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Been like that for months if not years. BA are not interested in refurbishment. The state of that lounge is absolutely ridiculous.
Years, I can reliably confirm (from circa 2012/13).
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
See also recent discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ge-status.html

As for closing the MUC lounge as happened in ATH, that is tricky. The layout of Terminal 1 uses various Modules, so separate sub divisions or concourses, and BA is in B. There are other lounges in T1 but in different Modules with Schengen complexities involved. Moreover the Lufthansa lounges in MUC- where BA is in direct competition - are very good in terms of décor. Not such an advantage when it comes to food / drink, where BA has the edge at least at Business level, plus being a hub for Lufthansa the 2 LH lounges (Business and Senator) can get very crowded. So BA has little choice other than to change the furniture - actually only some of it - or move to another Module. I suspect there will be a revamp of some sort before too long.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 16, 2016 at 4:50 am Reason: Strike circular reference
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
QR and DL also use the BA lounge, which gets ridiculously crowded around 10am as a result. MUC T1 B is getting a major refurb till 2018, and a new pier only in 2018-22 so the lounge situation will stay the same. EK has taken over the former LH lounge area in the non schengen area. The airport contract 'Atlantic' lounge is also a sad place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.