Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:33 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    What happened in previous strikes is that they tried to run services with whatever crew they could deploy, including Waterside and contact centre staff (etc) - I don't think that will be so successful now from what I've heard - and also they replaced some services with leased aircraft, notoriously including getting Ryanair to run some services, complete with BA catering. They also allowed passengers to move flights, giving quite a lot of flexibility to inflexible tickets bought before the strike day(s) were set, as well as allowing refunds. Generally they didn't allow people to travel on airlines outside the joint business arrangements but there were some exceptions such as to SIN and SYD. There is no EC261 compensation payable in these circumstances (but perhaps open to a future legal challenge), though the Right of Care provisions would apply.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    ...and also they replaced some services with leased aircraft, notoriously including getting Ryanair to run some services, complete with BA catering...
    This time around in the new world of BoB they can just let Ryanair do what they do normally, no catering changes required.
    BA shorthaul pax satisfaction will increase
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
    Hmm. I'll be with the whole family on an I tickets uua'd to Z. It'll be an utter pain (in the neck from Mr TL) if this goes pear shaped trying to get home from SEA.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
    I'm not normally for strikes. But with Willy Wonka wafting around asking people to show him the ******* money, while the business doesn't like its customers or its staff any more, and continues in its race to the bottom cutting service for its once loyal customers - I wish this strike every success.

EZY and FR learnt a big lesson a few years back - p***ing everyone off isn't the way to do things, and both of them have since been keeping their service basic but not obnoxious.
    I think BA will need the same lesson soon. That slide from the stakeholder presentation is what I'd have expected of Michael O'Loony before he realised he didn't have to hate the customer to be a budget airline.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:42 am
    Suspended

I like many here would support a strike (very unlike my own belief).

In fact I would like to ask other BA passengers to take this opportunity to stage a one-month long strike of not taking a BA flight, coincident the introduction of BOB in January.

It is not enough for the crew to strike, our passengers have to join in to voice our concern as well. Otherwise the management will just simply shrug their shoulders and continue business as usual attitude.

I am glad to say that I have no flight booked in January on BA. Only a return in March to Nice. Will forgo my birthday bonus and will not travel BA the whole year unless some of the changes get reversed.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:42 am
    Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
    Originally Posted by hcuk94
    I'm not normally for strikes. But with Willy Wonka wafting around asking people to show him the ******* money, while the business doesn't like its customers or its staff any more, and continues in its race to the bottom cutting service for its once loyal customers - I wish this strike every success.
    As a passenger it is odd to say it, but this seems to be the only language that Cruz might get. He seems to believe the price of everything and value of nothing (hence the brand value destruction to date). So far on the Cruz watch he's made that muppet who used to run United look like a customer care genius.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze
    I am saddened to find out the reasons for MF industrial action ballot.
    Actually I am appalled...by BA and support MF in this.
    Hoping for a good outcome for the crews, you have looked after me very well over the last few years and you deserve better.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
    Originally Posted by chongcao
    I like many here would support a strike (very unlike my own belief).

In fact I would like to ask other BA passengers to take this opportunity to stage a one-month long strike of not taking a BA flight, coincident the introduction of BOB in January.

It is not enough for the crew to strike, our passengers have to join in to voice our concern as well. Otherwise the management will just simply shrug their shoulders and continue business as usual attitude.

I am glad to say that I have no flight booked in January on BA. Only a return in March to Nice. Will forgo my birthday bonus and will not travel BA the whole year unless some of the changes get reversed.
    Not taking BA flights will only hurt BA's employees even more as there will be no money to pay even these low wages. The problem is not that the company does not want to pay higher wages, but that the market and the new economic/industry realities do not support that. If anything, BA's passengers should volunteer to pay higher fares rather than avoid the airline completely (which might lead to the airline's collapse and loss of thousands of jobs). In order for the wages to rise in any substantial way the industry will need to go back to the over-regulation and protection days (which will hurt the consumer). Same as with other industries where there are pressures on remuneration of employees, there is no easy or one answer as to how to fix the low wages issue. But avoiding BA is certainly not the answer as it will only inflict more pain. If anything, people should fly BA more. In my profession we've faced a few pay cuts since 2008, and yet there are a lot of people would gladly do the job for less. I certainly would not want for my clients to 'support' me by withholding business from my company as it will only put more pressure on the management to cut salaries or even cut the workforce. If anything, my clients have already contributed to the redundancies and pay cuts by demanding lower and lower prices from the company. I fail to see how advocating for BA's passengers to abandon the airline makes life any easier for cabin crew and other employees.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
    Originally Posted by Andriyko
    Not taking BA flights will only hurt BA's employees even more as there will be no money to pay even these low wages. The problem is not that the company does not want to pay higher wages, but that the market and the new economic/industry realities do not support that. If anything, BA's passengers should volunteer to pay higher fares rather than avoid the airline completely (which might lead to the airline's collapse and loss of thousands of jobs). In order for the wages to rise in any substantial way the industry will need to go back to the over-regulation and protection days (which will hurt the consumer). Same as with other industries where there are pressures on remuneration of employees, there is no easy or one answer as to how to fix the low wages issue. But avoiding BA is certainly not the answer as it will only inflict more pain. If anything, people should fly BA more. In my profession we've faced a few pay cuts since 2008, and yet there are a lot of people would gladly do the job for less. I certainly would not want for my clients to 'support' me by withholding business from my company as it will only put more pressure on the management to cut salaries or even cut the workforce. If anything, my clients have already contributed to the redundancies and pay cuts by demanding lower and lower prices from the company. I fail to see how advocating for BA's passengers to abandon the airline makes life any easier for cabin crew and other employees.
    This post reads to me like a 101 for why our socio-economic system is in the mess that it's currently in. I don't find these economic arguments persuasive, but, even if I did, I would prefer to look at it like this: if you were to find out your staff were sleeping in their cars because they couldn't afford to drive home to rest between shifts, wouldn't you be upset, outraged, and willing to move heaven and earth to put that right? If this is not just bluster and things really are this bad, it's not about financial details for me, it's about treating the people who work for you with basic human dignity.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
    \The problem is not that the company does not want to pay higher wages, but that the market and the new economic/industry realities do not support that.
    BA's current operating profits (€1.37bn last year) will definitely support higher staff wages.

If you think that structurally the company cannot support them in the longer term, please show your citations.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
    Perhaps corporate greed is where it lies but si will kot start a rant other the. Saying WAGE savings should be across the board! If managment gets a pay raise give the same prosent down the line! If pay cuts are needed then cut the same percent from managment instead of giving a bonus!
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:50 am

If anything, BA's passengers should volunteer to pay higher fares rather than avoid the airline completely (which might lead to the airline's collapse and loss of thousands of jobs).
    Perhaps replace the Flying Start envelopes with ones showing a picture of WW stating 'Show me the f****ng money' supplemented by crew holding out a cap for passengers exiting the aircraft to contribute to IAG as they seem to be struggling to pay their staff a decent wage.

I could be impacted if a strike does occur over the New Year period, but I hope the CC win their fight. Something drastic has to happen as things just cannot keep on as they are.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
    In the 2007-2009 timeframe, many on this board were against the strikes, but with how much has changed since, I believe that the majority that post here, including me, would support the crew in their efforts to increase their compensation.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
    After my flights in the next 2 weeks I am going on strike as a BA customer. I hope MF do go on strike and get public sympathy as well. Would be interesting to see whose side the Daily Mail would take seeing how much they hate BA the airline.
    Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:05 am

If the strike goes ahead, flight crew and other staff should add to the pressure on BA by turning up as rostered and so be paid for "working" the flights that cannot take place because of the absence of cabin crew. There is more than one way to show solidarity with those who have a grievance.

If Spanish law ofers the opportunity, then those shareholders who consider high-level executives overpaid should vote against acceptance of the directors' remuneration report. If the situation is viewed as really bad, they should consider voting against reappointment of all directors who sit on the remuneration committee - and even, should they also hold relevant shares, vote against the appointment of those individuals to the board of any company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.