Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Strikers are going out of recency and are having to go for retraining before returning to work, those working are hitting 900 hours and are being grounded.
    It's turning into a perfect storm, bring it on!
    How are strikers going out of recency?

You have to have not flown on any aircraft type for 90 days and the specific aircraft type for 180 days. Since the strike is only 70 days old (and is over for at least a month) that seems to be more wishful thinking than reality (and I find it hard to believe that more than a handful have not flown at all in that period). Anyone who looks like going out of type recency will just find their rosters changing.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
    "(and is over for at least a month)" - is this accurate?

If so, maybe the wiki can be updated to reflect the same, with an explanation as to why this is the current status?
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    How are strikers going out of recency?

You have to have not flown on any aircraft type for 90 days and the specific aircraft type for 180 days. Since the strike is only 70 days old (and is over for at least a month) that seems to be more wishful thinking than reality (and I find it hard to believe that more than a handful have not flown at all in that period). Anyone who looks like going out of type recency will just find their rosters changing.
    Many have missed there annual checks and have gone over their 13 months so are being put on refresher courses.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Strikers are going out of recency and are having to go for retraining before returning to work, those working are hitting 900 hours and are being grounded.
    It's turning into a perfect storm, bring it on!
    So do you think that BA are unaware of this and don't have any contingency plans in place to deal with it? Dream on
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:13 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course they aware but it's causing problems as if the number of flights going with less crew and customer complaints, also the extra cost for leasing aircraft and extra security.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Many have missed there annual checks and have gone over their 13 months so are being put on refresher courses.
    OK good point. But that's still going to be an absolute maximum of about 1 in 8 strikers or about 1 in 20 mixed fleet crew, so 200ish total. That's not going to cause a significant issue and will take no more than a week or 2 to sort out.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:24 am

Of course they aware but it's causing problems as if the number of flights going with less crew and customer complaints, also the extra cost for leasing aircraft and extra security.
    Minus the wage costs of the strikers, the savings of consolidating some flights, and the other costs of flying BAs own aircraft.

Most of the extra security people at CRC etc are volunteers.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Mar 11, 2017 at 8:32 am
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by EDIer
    "(and is over for at least a month)" - is this accurate?

If so, maybe the wiki can be updated to reflect the same, with an explanation as to why this is the current status?
    I only skim read the Unite notice to ballot that a CSM showed me the other day. I believe it opens on the 16th and has to be open for a week, so at least a fortnight until the results are known. Its then a minimum 14 days notice before any strike.

Given that no further dates have been announced in the current batch I think we can probably assume that there wont be any more until the next ballot result. Although I think there's a theoretical short window (with 14 days notice) before the 12 weeks protected action expires.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:42 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish there was some way of making those who vote for strike action to take it, around 25% of MF are striking but was it 95% voted for it in the last ballot?
    It will be interesting to see how many vote for it next time, those voting for it yet still going still going into work are the lowest of the low.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:49 am

I wish there was some way of making those who vote for strike action to take it, around 25% of MF are striking but was it 95% voted for it in the last ballot?
    It will be interesting to see how many vote for it next time, those voting for it yet still going still going into work are the lowest of the low.
    If someone has not been on strike and votes yes again this time then I agree. There was, however, an element (encouraged by Unite MF) about 'sending a message' with the last ballot.

The low turnout for the strikes was completely predictable given the nature of the workforce and the fact that Unite had failed to ask for any lifestyle changes, which in my experience is at least as big an issue in MF as money.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree, it will be interesting to see the result.
    Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:54 am

I think it would be only human nature to allow an expression of anger in a ballot vote that costs nothing, but in the cold light of day be afraid of actually going ahead with striking with all the consequences that cost so much.
    Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
    Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    I only skim read the Unite notice to ballot that a CSM showed me the other day. I believe it opens on the 16th and has to be open for a week, so at least a fortnight until the results are known. Its then a minimum 14 days notice before any strike.

Given that no further dates have been announced in the current batch I think we can probably assume that there wont be any more until the next ballot result. Although I think there's a theoretical short window (with 14 days notice) before the 12 weeks protected action expires.
    As my math is terrible and I dont really understand any of it when is the first day a new strike action can actually occur ??? Mid May or earlier
    Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
    Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
    The people that love the turnover are two groups. Firstly, the recruiters. I do not know any BA CC recruiters, but if they are like other recruiters I have met, then some folk might think that they are lucky to have a job.
    The other group that love turnover are the CC trainers. The group that became infamous during the last strike, although I would imagine that BA have moved on some of the, er, more interesting individuals.
    how did they become infamous?
    Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:33 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
    Originally Posted by BobbySteel
    how did they become infamous?
    I am not sure how they became infamous, but I received some of the best service ever from one of these CC trainers on my LHR BUD CE flight a year or so ago. He said he flies very occasionally and he was clearly enjoying the customer contact and I so wish many of those he trains were like him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.