Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage drop question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Baec
Baggage drop question

If I have a World Club ticket AMS-LHR-KUL-BKK and I'm at Heathrow earlier the same day would they allow me to check in my bags there to save me taking them to to Schiphol with me?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Reports vary. Some agents allow it, some do not. So you best have a plan B just in case, which probably means checking the bag into the left luggage facilities available in the arrival areas of both T3 and T5. Other options exist (use a friend, use a hotel, car boot etc).
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh well, if they don't let me then I'll take them to Schiphol and check them in there.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Oh well, if they don't let me then I'll take them to Schiphol and check them in there.
What airline are you flying to AMS? There may be an option to check them through if that airline allows interlining?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Obviously you would need to leave enough time to collect and recheck your bags so a back-to-back is out of the question. Alternatively if you have a longer gap at LHR before the long haul flight you could leave them at the luggage store or in your car.

If you do try to check in for the LH before flying to AMS only show your KUL boarding pass and don't mention AMS.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Can't you just try another check-in agent?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
First/Club passengers can drop bags from 0500 on day of travel. All others 3 hours before flight.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, First, Club, Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby pax can drop from 0500.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Jonrross
What airline are you flying to AMS? There may be an option to check them through if that airline allows interlining?
Maybe I misunderstood this suggestion but no airline is going to check a bag from LHR-AMS-LHR-KUL.

A bag can't be tagged for the same airport twice.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BA6501
Actually, First, Club, Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby pax can drop from 0500.
I thought it was just Emerald/Sapphire, however it wont apply here as its discretion of an agent to check luggage mid route
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what I thought too, but this page states otherwise.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

When I arrived at LHR I asked the very kind check in person if they would just check my bags from LHR to BKK, via KUL, and they said no problem.

I had the same problem on the way back. Asked at BKK if my bags could just be checked to LHR but told impossible. When I got to LHR and asked BA ground staff if they could help they said no the only option was for me to collect my bags in AMS. So I announced I was ill and would not be travelling to Schiphol that day and was told my bags would appear at belt 8. Collected bags and placed them in the left luggage place at terminal 5. Went upstairs to the check in desks and declared myself well enough to fly and checked in again.

Thanks to those who gave advice above.

Last edited by thinkingallowed; Jan 19, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.