Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravellerFrequently
Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I for one take the train in preference to a DOM flight precisely because there is no CE cabin.

If BA are now going to offer CE, I would expect it to be the same as CE on JER, BRU or CDG.

Why would BA want to do anything different?

80 TPs to Man with Champagne and a salad. What's not to like?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
West coast rail every time. At least my knees won't be wedged against the seat in front...
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:07 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I very much doubt that business selling classes on domestic will go from the current 20 TPs to 40 TPs. IB have a business cabin on their domestic flights and it still earns 20 TPs.
Originally Posted by Calchas
I suspect that it would follow Spanish (mainland) domestic rules, i.e., only 20 points in CD ("Club Domestic"), in line with the current Business UK offering.
I guess we just have to wait and see. However, logically you would expect that a domestic Club Europe flight will offer the same TPs as the standard CE routes. Indeed some of the domestic routes will be longer flights compared to existing routes such as JER, CDG, BRU, AMS, LUX, DUB, etc. Although knowing BA they don't always follow logic these days! But it would just be odd to offer reduced TPs on longer routes for the same cabin service!

Or maybe BA will see this as an opportunity to create a reduced TP earning band that will impact other established routes too! I'd better not give them any ideas there
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
West coast rail every time. At least my knees won't be wedged against the seat in front...
Same for me on the east coast. Choice of direct HT or change at DON for VTEC with 1st class advance return from around £60 to £70 complete with food. No contest.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Will their connecting domestic leg automatically book into the new domestic CE though? There's been the recent change where the domestic connection for CE bookings from the regions now book into I rather than J and no longer get lounge access at their domestic departure airport.
"I" class is business class on all other flights. If they introduce a revenue business product presumably they will need several buckets for it, such as J/C/D/R/I.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:25 pm

I can't help but feel this is a genuine enhancement. And the added bonus that there should now be another 2 reward seats available on every flight.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
"I" class is business class on all other flights. If they introduce a revenue business product presumably they will need several buckets for it, such as J/C/D/R/I.
Those classes already exist on domestic flights.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Meh. It'll be a bit pointless as a standalone product but it has its own logic for connecting traffic and those who demand Club at any cost.

I barely fly domestic anyway so it won't affect me but there will be good sale fares, probably better availability for short notice redemptions (EDI/GLA?) and it helps some people out.

If I were a regular economy commuter with status and a fondness for row 1 might be annoyed though.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:43 am
gms

Originally Posted by Cymro
Meh. It'll be a bit pointless as a standalone product but it has its own logic for connecting traffic and those who demand Club at any cost.
But then you could say the same about a good number of existing CE routes.

There are plenty of people sitting in CE on flights to CDG, BRU, AMS, etc. Some will be connecting, others will just be going point-to-point. There will be people who have business class travel policies, people who just value a bit more space and of course crazy FlyerTalkers!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Well, I've mixed views.

I like the idea of having a fare which means I can pay the fare and not have to worry about extra charges for food, bags, etc etc. That is what originally drew me to BA vs the LCCs. You know that once you've bought the ticket, you're sorted.

I like the idea of being able to get my domestic breakfast back, though despite my love of the current one, the quality will have to improve if it is to be a J offering. Maybe it'll just a free M&S bacon roll?

But then on the other hand, my employer isn't going to pay for business class on an hour-long flight to GLA, which means I will lose my front row seat, which is a massive disadvantage to me.
What they *will* pay for is first class on a 4.5 hour train journey (our policy is J over 4 hours in the air, 1st over 2 hours on the train), so that becomes even more appealing.

BA have irritated me enough recently that I have stopped using them exclusively. Tomorrow I'm going on my first EZY flight in 6 years (admittedly a flexi ticket to ease myself in gently), and recently I've been rolling around the country on Pendolinos which has been most enjoyable in first class.

So ultimately I think it might be another nail in the coffin for me flying BA domestically. Funny, a year ago I wouldn't have dreamt of not flying BA to Scotland. Now I'm enjoying trying all the different ways I can get there.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
This is good - more space and upgraded service (until we find CE is now £5 from the snack trolley due to customer demand).
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I for one take the train in preference to a DOM flight precisely because there is no CE cabin.

If BA are now going to offer CE, I would expect it to be the same as CE on JER, BRU or CDG.

Agree entirely
Well overdue

Always thought BA domestic was a positively horrible experience; rammed into 3:3 seating; actually prefer flybe for domestic at present
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Are we entirely certain that by this we mean Band 1 CE? There's a bit of me that wonder if, faced with the revenue loss of flying at least 6 empty seats on every flight, BA invents Club UK. Exactly the same as economy but with a CE salad and drinks trolley. 3-3 seating for all.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA

In theory it makes sense. In practice I wonder if it really will be 80TP. 8 CE returns to Manchester = silver - that might not be what BA is trying to achieve in terms in lounge usage etc.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:14 am
gms

Originally Posted by hcuk94
I will lose my front row seat, which is a massive disadvantage to me.
I've never really understood the obsession with front row seats. Yes, it's nice to be off quickly, but I think people who use terms like "massive disadvantage" when the choice will probably be a row 5 or 6 further back are exaggerating the
inconvenience somewhat. Unless I'm missing some "massive" advantage.

Just to add some context. I'm 6'2" and prefer to sit in row 2 or 3 rather than 1, simply so I can have easy access to my hand luggage under the seat in front and avoid the need to hunt for luggage rack space further back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.