Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
On the upper deck everything was normal, only knew there was an issue when plane started going west and captain asked senior cabin crew member to report immediately to flight deck.

Immigration was open at Vancouver so that took 2 mins. Hotel queue was enormous but I booked rooms as soon as we landed.

Shame we went west as there are very few AA flights. The 7-8am flights were too early to get on as London numbers were busy and rejecting calls and US not open until 0400. They were refusing non OW connections to BA hubs.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by CountryKerry
Out of curiosity what would happen if you aren't allowed into Canada? I know they have very strict rules about foreign visitors with a background not squeaky clean and prior waivers? Suppose they can't leave you on the plane on the other hand?
Isn't there an international rule covering this situation whereby temporary entry is given to all on board?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Joely
25 people with smoke inhalation? What would that many crew be doing standing in one place during a flight?
20 crew
5 pax

20 crew, of which 2 had feinted.
I imagine the other 18 were checked to be sure.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:25 pm

Will this be another example of poor BA maintenance?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by shadowline
20 crew
5 pax

20 crew, of which 2 had feinted.
I imagine the other 18 were checked to be sure.
If it was smoke inhilation or toxic fumes, what were 20 crew doing standing in one place and why were there only 5 passengers in the vacinity to be affected?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Swampz64
On the upper deck everything was normal, only knew there was an issue when plane started going west and captain asked senior cabin crew member to report immediately to flight deck.

Immigration was open at Vancouver so that took 2 mins. Hotel queue was enormous but I booked rooms as soon as we landed.

Shame we went west as there are very few AA flights. The 7-8am flights were too early to get on as London numbers were busy and rejecting calls and US not open until 0400. They were refusing non OW connections to BA hubs.
I'm glad you are OK - I'd have chanced it on a CX flight to JFK and taken things from there.

Still not flying the A380 - I actively avoid it.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SteveF
Isn't there an international rule covering this situation whereby temporary entry is given to all on board?
Hmm not sure about entry into the country but in some countries pax would be allowed into a secure gate area but no further.

Recent BA flight from Turkey that had to land in Austria comes to mind. The Turkish passengers were refused entry into Austria.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Joely
If it was smoke inhilation or toxic fumes, what were 20 crew doing standing in one place and why were there only 5 passengers in the vacinity to be affected?
The others were checked as a precaution
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveF
No, it's discretionary.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Further reports say "smoke inhalation" was not the cause but "patient confidentiality" prevents the hospital disclosing the illness.
??
SS
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
Just seen on our news in Vancouver:

It's still on the ground at YVR, being inspected by Airbus, BA and the TSB.

Lots of complaints about lack of info, not much help in getting hotels and lack of seat availability on alternative flights.

Not really surprising given that BA only have one flight from YVR (in the evening) and there aren't many alternatives that don't involve a stop off on the way or that will get you back less than about 24hrs later.

It was apparently originally supposed to divert to Calgary, but I doubt they can handle an A380 there and the imminent (next week!) opening of the new international terminal there probably didn't help...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by CountryKerry
Out of curiosity what would happen if you aren't allowed into Canada? I know they have very strict rules about foreign visitors with a background not squeaky clean and prior waivers? Suppose they can't leave you on the plane on the other hand?
If you are a non US person who was permitted in the US I can't see many problems with you entering Canada.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:26 pm

This situation makes absolutely no sense. How would all the crew get sick but none of the passengers? I keep thinking it was some type of crew mutiny... hope I'm wrong
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
This situation makes absolutely no sense. How would all the crew get sick but none of the passengers? I keep thinking it was some type of crew mutiny... hope I'm wrong
The report says that only 2 of the crew got sick.The rest were checked as a precaution.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
A bit late to the party, but if any crew or FT-ers are stranded here in YVR and need anything, shoot me a PM. I also saw the news that hotels were scarce etc. so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.