Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
Having only recently taken off from SFO, wonder how close the aircraft was to Maximum Landing Weight. Looking at the Flight Aware tracking, doesn't seem it circled, although I suppose it could have been dumping fuel from Calgary to Vancouver.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
BA.COM showing the flight due to arrive into LHR at 19:10. Presume that is just a ferry flight with no passengers.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:22 am

BBC now reporting it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37761980

"Twenty-five crew members went to local hospitals as a precaution but were later discharged, said BA spokeswoman Michele Kropf.

The crew were not treated for smoke inhalation as reported, she said."
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: BA
Twenty-five crew members went to local hospitals as a precaution but were later discharged, said BA spokeswoman Michele Kropf.
I know there are lots of crew on an A380 but surely 25 would be all of them including Pilots?!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Rubecula
BA.COM showing the flight due to arrive into LHR at 19:10. Presume that is just a ferry flight with no passengers.
BA.com shows the flight as having left at 2 AM (it landed at around midnight). That's an impressively fast turn-around considering the entire crew was taken sick (and would have eventually run out of hours). I wonder if they had an A380 crew standing-by in Vancouver? The daily Vancouver service is back to 747 so wouldn't really know why an A380 crew would be here.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by The Ginge
I know there are lots of crew on an A380 but surely 25 would be all of them including Pilots?!
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=49fd405e&opt=0
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Good to hear that all pax and crew are safe and sound and hopefully everyone will make it back to LHR soon.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
Declaring an emergency when 680nm away from Vancouver, and landing there 30 minutes later ?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Declaring an emergency when 680nm away from Vancouver, and landing there 30 minutes later ?
This has been fixed since but the post makes no sense: "Accident: British Airways A388 near Vancouver on Oct 24th 2016, 25 treated for smoke inhalation" and then later " none of the occupants was treated for smoke inhalation". Erm, what?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
This has been fixed since but the post makes no sense: "Accident: British Airways A388 near Vancouver on Oct 24th 2016, 25 treated for smoke inhalation" and then later " none of the occupants was treated for smoke inhalation". Erm, what?
The real Sun quotes a BA spoke as saying they "can't confirm it was smoke inhalation":

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-with-ill-crew
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
also seems strange all crew were affected, but relatively no pax?

would pax have had air masks deployed hence being OK?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stewaran
also seems strange all crew were affected, but relatively no pax?

would pax have had air masks deployed hence being OK?
My suspicion is that someone (London? the Commander? the local transportation agency? a doctor?) made the decision that all crew would be checked out, as a precaution, even if they hadn't reported or seen anything (which would surely apply to the flight deck); but those directly affecting were a few cabin crew plus a few passengers in one particular area of the lower deck.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My suspicion is that someone (London? the Commander? the local transportation agency? a doctor?) made the decision that all crew would be checked out, as a precaution, even if they hadn't reported or seen anything (which would surely apply to the flight deck); but those directly affecting were a few cabin crew plus a few passengers in one particular area of the lower deck.
I guess they need that crew to fly the A380 home today/tomorrow not a bad idea to make sure they are all fit :-)

although as you say from pilot at the nose, to crew at the back all checked out. but presumably (from the sparse information available) pax seating just a few seats away not sent to hospital.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Out of curiosity what would happen if you aren't allowed into Canada? I know they have very strict rules about foreign visitors with a background not squeaky clean and prior waivers? Suppose they can't leave you on the plane on the other hand?

Hope everyone is not in too much distress and recovers soon!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
25 people with smoke inhalation? What would that many crew be doing standing in one place during a flight?

Without appearing to be too indelicate but has a case of the trots due to the crew having a dodgy meal the night before been ruled out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.