IHG offer - 6000 bonus Avios

Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
IHG offer - 6000 bonus Avios

Just got an e-mail in from BAEC.

Book & stay at an IHG property between now and mid-December and you get 6k Avios. You have to select BAEC as your earnings preference, but I guess you can always flip in back afterwards.

Got to be some mattress run potential here. HIEX in Litchfield on a Sunday night for 36, anyone?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:17 am

Nice. Does it look like it's targeted? I haven't received anything as yet.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No, it's listed on the BAEC offers page before the long-in screen

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...inental-hotels

As I read it you only get one bonus per member.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: HH Gold, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL
Seem to be a few on my offers page - 4,500 Avios with Hilton and 2,000 with Shangri-La, as well as IHG and other brands.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:26 am

It should also get you the extra 1000 avios for earning from a new partner. I'll definitely use this, probably book an LGW hotel before an early flight rather than taking the train as usual.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shobday96
Seem to be a few on my offers page - 4,500 Avios with Hilton and 2,000 with Shangri-La, as well as IHG and other brands.
You had me worried there!

However, it's triple points with Hilton at over 4,500 hotels I think...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: HH Gold, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You had me worried there!

However, it's triple points with Hilton at over 4,500 hotels I think...
You're absolutely right, I should learn to read.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:36 am

I am suspicious from the terms and conditions (particularly bits 7 and 12) that this is just an advert for the IHG accelerate promotion. Under that, you can earn at least 30K IHG points - and then by calling, you can convert those to at least 6K avios (in line with the usual 5:1 rate). However, you have to jump through numerous (personalised) hoops to get the full accelerate bonus; the stars would have to align very nicely for a single cheap stay to unlock it all.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I'm trying to use it but when I go through to IHG it said my earning preference (set for BAEC Avios) meant I wasn't eligible.

I then changed it back to IHG points but now when I go in it introduces me to Accelerate and a way to earn bonus IHG points - with no reference at all to 6,000 Avios.

And I was ready to change my hotel in Kiev the weekend after next!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
I am suspicious from the terms and conditions (particularly bits 7 and 12) that this is just an advert for the IHG accelerate promotion. Under that, you can earn at least 30K IHG points - and then by calling, you can convert those to at least 6K avios (in line with the usual 5:1 rate). However, you have to jump through numerous (personalised) hoops to get the full accelerate bonus; the stars would have to align very nicely for a single cheap stay to unlock it all.
Ouch, think you might be right. Rubbish if so!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Is that 6,000 Avios per stay or 6,000 for one stay?

If it's per stay that's a lot of Avios to rack up between now and Xmas I have landed Spire Elite already!

T&C's don't make it clear.

Last edited by clarkeysntfc; Oct 12, 2016 at 6:12 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
HIEX in Litchfield on a Sunday night for 36, anyone?
Ah, that brings back fond memories of the Diamond Club promotion which earned a shedload of points for a 25 room at the Days Inn knocking shop M40 Services.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
Spot on I believe.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Headline is definitely not the whole story From the BA T&Cs:

"1.You must be an IHG Rewards Club member and must register your member number in advance to participate in “Accelerate” ("Promotion"). Upon Registration (as defined below), members will be presented with the opportunity to earn at least 30,000 bonus points upon completion of all offers presented. Members will be awarded bonus points listed for each individual Promotional offer ("Offer") after completing the requirements of each individual Offer..."
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ouch! Sorry folks.

This is pretty poor on behalf of BA as well for letting this through, though,

Surely the headline is utterly misleading:

"Collect at least 6,000 Avios when you book and stay with IHG before 15 December 2016."

Not least because accelerate usually means you have to dine, apply for a credit card and download an app as well as just staying with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.