Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First class west coast USA award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Luckily i have just got to 200k points and would like to use them for an F return to the west coast .
Looking at the rewards flight map I can hardly find any availability on the BA website .
Ideally I would love to try the Dreamliner to San Jose and come back on the A380 in LA .
There seems to be nothing to San Jose ?
I just wanted to check with the experts here , am I looking in the wrong place or is there no availability ?
Thanks in advance for any help received .
Julian
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Julian36
Looking at the rewards flight map I can hardly find any availability on the BA website.
The map is generally regarded as pretty useless. I would advise ignoring it.

Start the booking process to see availability on specific flights. This is a much surer way of seeing whether or not there is any.

However, by reputation LAX is a difficult route to get award seats on.

Programs: BAEC Gold
It really depends on your dates, I've been keeping an eye on availability of LHR - SJC recently and there's been quite a lot of flights with 2+ seats in First available, and the usually released 2 J seats seem to take a few days before anyone snaps them up.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Julian - there's little to no long term availability

Best option is to get a CW booking and pay Ł35 change fee if / when you spot F become available. You'll need to be very flexible on this. Consider including LAS, PHX, SAN to give yourself more options
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
SEA is usually very good for F availability
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
SFO is also very hard. SJC maybe easier.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by flatlander
SFO is also very hard. SJC maybe easier.
Last time I upgraded CW to F on SFO it was within 5 days of travel so availability is by no means guaranteed on that route.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Did you actually want to go to West Coast - or is this driven by aircraft type?! If so, you could do SIN / KUL return and experience A380 F & 789 F - availability far easier...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:30 am

Sounds like a road trip down the PCH is part of this trip
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Best option is to get a CW booking and pay Ł35 change fee if / when you spot F become available. You'll need to be very flexible on this. Consider including LAS, PHX, SAN to give yourself more options
I did this scenario last month on the SJC-LHR bookings and originally booked in CW. However, eventually the return to SJC opened up maybe a few months out from departure, and SFO-LHR opened up about a month later. SJC in F according to Expertflyer was pretty solidly booked 6 out of the 8 seats far out from departure, so it's more of a gamble to get. I did have to pay the change fees for the two separate changes I made.

For my next trip, I decided to forgo booking CW's now and playing the waiting game to see if F simply opens up.

We'll see if this strategy works. Or I may be flying with a connection to LHR if I wanted to do an AVIOS booking.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If you are flexible on dates you may find the iPhone app a useful place to start a search from especially as you can see a whole year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.