Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Requesting ORC after downgrade and refund on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,

I booked a domestic US flight in F on AA that was canceled due to weather. We were rebooked in Y on a connecting flight and earned 40 TP vs. the 60 TP on my original flight.

Surprisingly, I got a larger than expected refund when I filed a claim with AA for being downgraded. Since I received a refund, can I still request ORC through BA and is it worth the hassle? I'm not sure any of us will even need the extra 20 TP and the avios difference was negligible.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some information here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html

AA or BA ticketed?

I think it used to be the case that you would be unlikely to get ORC on an AA ticket but it seems there are reports of folks getting it so you may want to try it. It is up to AA though I believe as the awarding airline so potentially they may say no since they have refunded you. Since you are only 20 TP down and AA did give you a larger than expected refund you may wish to call this one quits rather than try and get the extra 20 TPs.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KARFA
Some information here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html

AA or BA ticketed?

I think it used to be the case that you would be unlikely to get ORC on an AA ticket but it seems there are reports of folks getting it so you may want to try it. It is up to AA though I believe as the awarding airline so potentially they may say no since they have refunded you. Since you are only 20 TP down and AA did give you a larger than expected refund you may wish to call this one quits rather than try and get the extra 20 TPs.
Does AA actually award TPs? Does AA actually pay something?

I realise the flying airline does award/pay for miles/avios but aren't TPs just an internal BAEC mechanism?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Does AA actually award TPs? Does AA actually pay something?

I realise the flying airline does award/pay for miles/avios but aren't TPs just an internal BAEC mechanism?
I thought it is the marketing airline which effectively awards whatever you are due and reports this to BAEC to apply to your account. I could be wrong though so hopefully someone will confirm either way.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I believe the marketing airline reports what you actually flew and any adjustments they want to declare, such as that they involuntarily rerouted you - which is what you are after for ORC. So you need some action from them other than the auotmatic reporting of your actual flights, and they may or may not want to make that effort (out of principle or lack of desire or knowledge)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TPs are an internal BA mechanism for determining status. AA simply reports what you flew and the circumstances. Thus, AA will report to BA, in some odd code, that you were downgraded and refunded as you are entitled under the COC.

You are certainly free to make the ORC request to BA, but expect to be denied absent someone at BAEC erroneously entering the credit or expect BAEC to reverse the additional credit if the ORC is audited later.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I've had 100% success with ORC in these situations. Follow my guide and be patient and persistent.

And AA is known for refunding more than expected sometimes, but this should not impact the ORC claim as you did not ask for the downgrade.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I was downgraded to Y between PHX and OAK, applied for ORC, which BAEC gave me, and AA refunded something like $56.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I was downgraded to Y between PHX and OAK, applied for ORC, which BAEC gave me, and AA refunded something like $56.
That's on the low end but not implausible. A difference of $25-75 per hour of flying is the common fare difference on AA domestic flights between F and Y when booked in advance (quite a bit smaller of a gap between CE and ET in many scenarios).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by dylanks
That's on the low end but not implausible. A difference of $25-75 per hour of flying is the common fare difference on AA domestic flights between F and Y when booked in advance (quite a bit smaller of a gap between CE and ET in many scenarios).
It should be a set cents per mile as stated in the fare code. Don't remember exact.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
After an absurd number of calls and emails, my partner was just finally able to get the original tier points he was slated to earn (210) after AA downgraded him from F to J on a longhaul international routing. BAEC kept telling him that he had to go through AA to somehow have them tell BA he should get F tier points. That didn't happen, and a few days ago the 70 TPs magically appeared.

Anyway, be persistent, because it can happen, but BAEC is proving to be extremely frustrating on some matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.