Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-LHR-MRS Strategy: UUA vs Cash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

NYC-LHR-MRS Strategy: UUA vs Cash

I'm looking to book 2x NYC-LHR-MRS in CW/CE for Aug/Sep 2017 (both inbound/return dates are peak on the calendar). I have Silver status, whereas my partner has none. I'll be looking to stack the AARP discounts (once it gets renewed for dates beyond Mar 2017) and Visa 10% discounts (once it gets renewed for travel dates beyond Dec 2016). My considered options are:

1. WT+/ET then UUA
$1,653.75 approx., but $1,371.38 after stacked discounts (excluding UUA taxes)
UUA Cost: 49,000 + unknown taxes/fees
Net Avios: -39,394/person

2. CW/CE in cash
$2,520.90 approx., but $1,908.81 after stacked discounts
Net Avios: 17,524/person

Booking in cash outright is $537.48 more expensive and saves 55,018 Avios per person. I also get 360 vs 200 TPs. Option #2 seems like a relative no-brainer if I need the TPs and am saving the Avios for a 2-4-1. I could even upgrade the long-haul segments to F for 40,000 Avios per person and still save 15,018 Avios over option #1.

- Am I missing anything obvious in my logic?
- If both travelers have AARP membership, can you get an $800 discount in one booking, or do two separate bookings have to be made?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC 35K
I'd probably go for option 2. That way you're guaranteed a flat bed and your preferred dates (don't need to worry about availability). Perhaps the only thing I can suggest is, have you considered a mixed booking (CW outbound overnight, WTP return). You could potentially UUA the WTP to CW but if you stick to WTP it's not too bad for a day flight.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
Booking in cash outright is $537.48 more expensive and saves 55,018 Avios per person. I also get 360 vs 200 TPs. Option #2 seems like a relative no-brainer if I need the TPs and am saving the Avios for a 2-4-1. I could even upgrade the long-haul segments to F for 40,000 Avios per person and still save 15,018 Avios over option #1.
I agree. For what it's worth, in this scenario I would value the Avios at 1 UK penny each (on the basis I could get 3 pennies value out of them which you certainly are not getting on UuA in this scenario), so in your case let's us say 1.3c. You could also value the TPs at Ł1 / $1.30 each since it's tricky to get them for less than that.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you kindly. I had initially overlooked doing a mixed-class booking.

If doing cash, I could also do JFK-MAD-MRS with both segments on Iberia for a similar price (AARP discount still applies, Chase discount doesn't). I'd still get the qualifying flights, TPs and Avios, though less likely of an upgrade to F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.