Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One World no help policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:51 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
One World no help policy

This new One World no help policy sucks.

I'm BA and QATAR gold. I was booked business from ams to Zanzibar via Doha at 6pm today. I was booked lgw to ams at 11am. Ba refused to through check bag. Due to mechanical issues and pilot incompetence the flight departed 5&1/2 hours late.

Only option offered by QATAR was full refund and rebook in economy at £256 pp extra.

What is the point of one world?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I increasingly ask myself this question too.

In the above situation I would recommend flying Easyjet. They are reliable, often more so than BA.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unfortunately this is the risk you have always taken when positioning for an exEU. The checked bags actually ended up be inconsequential here since BA2760 arrived at AMS at 1830, so whether the OP had managed to have bags checked through or had even been carry on only it was not possible to make a QR flight at 1800. This in large part is why positioning day before for these types of itineraries is recommended.

Has it ever been the case that QR would rebook if a separately ticketed inbound connection was late?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by sam

I'm BA and QATAR gold. I was booked business from ams to Zanzibar via Doha at 6pm today. I was booked lgw to ams at 11am. Ba refused to through check bag. Due to mechanical issues and pilot incompetence the flight departed 5&1/2 hours late.

Only option offered by QATAR was full refund and rebook in economy at £256 pp extra.

I agree. I have booked alot more star alliance for 2017 as a result

Now if only Star offered a OWE equivilant tier I would move more over to them...

But its their game so I have no choice but to play by their rules oe leave which i have
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am sorry to hear about that. I guess this was on two separate bookings, with seemingly plenty of time at AMS to make the Qatar flight, and then this happened:

And I'm afraid that is the risk you take with 2 tickets unfortunately. It's cheaper for a reason! It can perhaps be mitigated via insurance. I'm guessing the checked baggage got in the way of re-routing via LHR or LCY, which should have been offered in this scenario. By the sounds of it, through checking your bags would not have allowed you to make the Qatar flight anyway, given it is scheduled for 18:00 (and today left a few minutes early).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kauppias
I agree. I have booked alot more star alliance for 2017 as a result
I'm not sure how it helps. Whilst I am very sad for the OP, the problem on separate bookings is exactly the same with both *A and ST. Ultimately, only through bookings are protected and whilst some individual airlines will occasionally have a more generous policy when it affects two of their own flights, and all will sometimes prove helpful informally as a gesture of good will, no alliance - and certainly not *A - accept to protect separate bookings as a matter of course.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Looking on the bright side, presumably you'll put a 261 claim in? Which should lighten the blow a little on the increased ticket price.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:13 pm

5.5 hours late on a 1h20m flight. Very impressive stuff from BA.

However we all know the rules on separate tickets, you may save money but you assume the risk. At least you got changed on QR rather than losing the onward ticket.

All you can do is get your EC261 claim in and use the money to soften the blow. Otherwise lesson learnt is as posted upthread, try Easyjet next time or book a single ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I wonder if one could, in such a situation, proceed as follows:
see the delay of more than an hour (indicating serious problems),
check Easyjet schedule, availability, operational status of the relevant flight, and book oneself on the Easyjet flight (such a short notice booking often becomes an Easyjet Flexi fare, so includes bag, seat choice, priority boarding, etc),
offload oneself from the BA flight,
retrieve bag,
check in and board Easyjet,
arrive stressed but successfully for the QR flight.

Easyjet bag delivery in AMS is usually pretty fast.

This seems even more plausible if one was going HBO, but even with a bag I think it might well be possible.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:59 pm
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
This option was definitely one I considered today but was too tight by time I realised I needed to
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:02 pm
sam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
5.5 hours late on a 1h20m flight. Very impressive stuff from BA.
I hope the pilot gets some serious constructive feedback from his managers. He consistently maintained that the plane should be able to fly. He only considered other options (I.e. Alternate plane) after pax had been sitting for 4 hours.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
For this reason I always position the night before, and where possible go HBO on ex EUs.

I also tend to have backup options e.g. if I'm on a 7pm BA flight, I know that if things go really bad there's a Norwegian from Gatwick or an EZY from Luton at 9pm, or a back to back BA in the morning.

Last ex EU I started with GLA-LHR-DUB, and when we had to turn around and go back to the gate at GLA I was on my phone in seconds checking SkyScanner for the next GLA-DUB direct - though thankfully things went ok on BA in the end there.

Sorry things ended badly for you, hope you manage to get some money back through the channels mentioned above.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by sam

I'm curious; just how exactly was the pilot "incompetent?"
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sam

You chose to make 2 separate bookings and there is a risk in doing so. It is fortunate that you did not have a QR fare which was non refundable/non changeable and so able to get a refund

You could have avoided this risk by buying a through ticket from London to Zanzibar

OneWorld provides benefits , such as lounge access based on status and additional baggage allowances

The pilot is not a mechanic and would be providing information provided from those dealing with the issue with the aeroplane - it is not the pilot repairing the aeroplane nor deciding when it is unable to fly
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I'm impressed Qatar offered full refund

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.