Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Triple Avios Offer - Flying between September 6th - Dec 11th 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triple Avios Offer - Flying between September 6th - Dec 11th 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Ok, I am so confused by this promotion. I just booked another LHR-JFK-GIG return on AA (001) all in I class. If someone would be so kind to give a rough idea of avios earned as a Gold through this promo it would be much appreciated. Is it triple the miles flown without cabin bonuses or of the lowest economy fare earning 25%? I have looked upthread but still confused. Thanks ever so much.
It is a bonus of double the earned core miles for your journey (making 3x the core miles in total). So, if your fare code is for 25% of core miles then you will get 3 x 25%. If it's a code for 100% of core miles then you will get 3 x 100%

Normal cabin and tier bonuses are then added on top without multipliers
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It is a bonus of double the earned core miles for your journey (making 3x the core miles in total). So, if your fare code is for 25% of core miles then you will get 3 x 25%. If it's a code for 100% of core miles then you will get 3 x 100%

Thanks very much, ThatT1Feeling. Better than I thought then. If my calculations are right that should be around 80,000 earned. Math is probably all over the shop though!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Thanks very much, ThatT1Feeling. Better than I thought then. If my calculations are right that should be around 80,000 earned. Math is probably all over the shop though!
I'd be surprised if you get 80,000 on an I fare which doesn't give full miles, does it? As reference, a full J fare LHR-RUH return (6.5 hour flight) will be about 35,000 Avios, but that's full J...
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realised that the bonus miles for the base fare were reduced for discounted tickets that typically earn less than 100% of base miles. This suggests that there are two general kinds of ways of calculating the miles awarded in this promotion:

For passengers travelling on full economy or premium fare codes (i.e. earning equal to, or more miles than, 100% base miles):
Cabin fare class miles + (2 x base miles - equivalent to the miles awarded on a Y code) + status bonus

For passengers travelling on discount economy codes:
Discounted cabin fare class miles + (2 x discounted cabin fare class miles - equivalent to the lower % of miles awarded on the fare code booked) + status bonus.

Is that correct? And why did BA need to make this so ridiculously complicated?!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Only British Airways could make an offer this complicated to understand.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realised that the bonus miles for the base fare were reduced for discounted tickets that typically earn less than 100% of base miles. This suggests that there are two general kinds of ways of calculating the miles awarded in this promotion:

For passengers travelling on full economy or premium fare codes (i.e. earning equal to, or more miles than, 100% base miles):
Cabin fare class miles + (2 x base miles - equivalent to the miles awarded on a Y code) + status bonus

For passengers travelling on discount economy codes:
Discounted cabin fare class miles + (2 x discounted cabin fare class miles - equivalent to the lower % of miles awarded on the fare code booked) + status bonus.

Is that correct? And why did BA need to make this so ridiculously complicated?!
Mainly yes, but it's best to take the cabin out initially. It's 100% base miles (irrespective of cabin) unless travelling on a discounted ticket in which case it's discounted base miles (50% or 25%). Then it's + (2 x base miles that you actually earned above) + normal cabin bonus + normal tier bonus.

Basically, the message here is that if you're travelling on a 25% or 50% discounted fare then the bonus isn't that great.

For example, one way LHR-FCO in ET at 50% (10TPs, 50% miles K fare)

449 base miles (50% of full miles)
898 tier bonus (100% Gold tier bonus of 100% earning rate)
898 Special promotion (base miles x 2)

Another example, one way RUH - LHR in CW at 100% (140 TPs, 100% miles J fare)
3073 base miles (100%)
4610 cabin bonus (CW at 150% of base)
3073 tier bonus (100% Gold bonus of 100% earning rate)
6143 Special promotion (base miles x 2)

Hope that helps?!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Only British Airways could make an offer this complicated to understand.
I guess it's BA's noble attempt to maximise the benefit of the promotion for their bottom line. All easier to comprehend approaches would presumably not give them the outcome they were looking for...

They could have tripled all miles earned, which would have been skewed the benefits towards status holders.

They could have tripled the miles earned in the cabin flown, which would have skewed the benefit towards those travelling in First or CW.

They could have tripled the base miles for all bookings, which would have skewed the benefit towards those travelling on the cheapest tickets.

Instead, they took a approach that is extremely difficult to get your head around, but that gives a half decent incentive to book a flight in the higher cabins (whilst simultaneously nodding ever so slightly in the direction of those booking in the cheap seats). Fair enough, I suppose.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:09 am

Kind of. It's 100% base miles (irrespective of cabin) unless travelling on a discounted ticket in which case it's discounted base miles (50% or 25%). Then it's + (2 x base miles that you actually earned above) + normal cabin bonus + normal tier bonus.

Basically, the message here is that if you're travelling on a 25% or 50% discounted fare then the bonus isn't that great.

For example, one way LHR-FCO in ET at 50% (10TPs, 50% miles K fare)

449 base miles (50% of full miles)
898 tier bonus (100% Gold tier bonus of 100% earning rate)
898 Special promotion (base miles x 2)

Another example, one way RUH - LHR in CW at 100% (140 TPs, 100% miles J fare)
3073 base miles (100%)
4610 cabin bonus (CW at 150% of base)
3073 tier bonus (100% Gold bonus of 100% earning rate)
6143 Special promotion (base miles x 2)

Hope that helps?!
It does! I think we're on the same page...
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I just got bonus points on a flight originally booked on US Air, East Coast US to Dublin. Turned into AA metal obviously. *shrug*
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Mainly yes, but it's best to take the cabin out initially. It's 100% base miles (irrespective of cabin) unless travelling on a discounted ticket in which case it's discounted base miles (50% or 25%). Then it's + (2 x base miles that you actually earned above) + normal cabin bonus + normal tier bonus.
The easiest way I can find to express the bonus is to look at the Economy section of a Blue cardholder in the BA.com Avios calculator. This gives 3 figures for 25%, 50% and 100%. Your bonus will be twice the relevant figure there, depending on your fare bucket. You then add this to your name Avios calculation for your actual status to give the total Avios earned. Bonuses will therefore lie in the 250 (LHR-MAN in cheapo class) to 21,000 Avios (LHR-SYD not in the cheap seats) range.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I've had the bonus avios for 2 return trips to the US booked through aa.com on AA metal booked prior to the offer but I have had no bonus avios for any of my flights on BA metal. Had to work out what flights they were for as it only stated special promotion. If the bug stays in for the next couple of flights to the US I'll be happy if it doesn't oh well I got more than I anticipated.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Circa 15k bonus miles for my J trip to the states last month on AA, booked in March.

Happy with that given they weren't expected!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Some
So it's sounding like those who booked flights through BA before the promotion started will be penalised for doing so, whilst those who booked through AA will get the extra miles. Great.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
So it's sounding like those who booked flights through BA before the promotion started will be penalised for doing so, whilst those who booked through AA will get the extra miles. Great.
I don't think they're being deliberately penalised. It appears BA can't tell when bookings were made on AA.

What's interesting is that my US Air booking, when reissued to AA metal, went on to a 125 stock ticket. The bonus posted for this one.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:20 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Penalised doesn't sound right. I certainly haven't had any miles taken away from me, I just don't have any bonus ones - and that matches the Ts and Cs, so no complaints from me. AA bookers being lucky doesn't make BA bookers unlucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.