Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sad, although seeing as I stupidly got rid of mine in 2012 not that sad!

Still, Mrs Jetstreamer has one and this might finally convince her to apply for a new card. She has a lot of sign up bonuses she can aim for!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
A real shame. For me - living in the US - it was the only easy way to earn Avios on a UK credit card with a US BAEC address.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Erm. Just logged into Diamond Club to see I have 20k miles that I will now transfer to BA ... but combine my Avios seems to have disappeared/isn't working from the DC click through.

Just me or anyone else?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
That's bad news. Didn't get any correspondence regarding it yet. In that case I will put all my big expenses through it, before it dies.

It was my favourite credit card, have to rethink my strategy now.

Getting this error when trying to combine my avios: Your session has timed out, please log in again. Maybe too many people is transferring miles?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Erm. Just logged into Diamond Club to see I have 20k miles that I will now transfer to BA ... but combine my Avios seems to have disappeared/isn't working from the DC click through.

Just me or anyone else?
Think it's been that way for ages - you need to go to the BAEC pages and combine Avios from there, pulling them from DC to BA.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Like others, I am saddened with super-fond memories of the card - separate from super-fond memories of BD.

I have a special reason. Some years ago, I had a snailmail balance transfer offer with no fees, earning miles. My card limit was just below Ł30k and I made daily transfers back and forth earning '000s of miles each time. I was in Canada at the time without my own computer and risked using internet bureaux. My one problem was that MBNA queried some of the transactions as possible duplicates, taking valuable time. Should a similar offer ever appear again, I'll vary the amounts.

What to do now? I had all but decided to cut up my 1994 vintage BA PP AmEx as hardly worth the bother. The search continues.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Anybody got any CC recommendations? This is the nail in the coffin of my relationship with BAEC, it might be quite liberating.
I think the Lloyds avios.com card is underrated as a Mastercard (i.e. as a companion to a BAPP Amex).

Just use the Mastercard to earn the Ł7k-spend upgrade voucher. The basic earning rate for Ł7k on the MC is a feeble 1750 avios, but simply using the voucher for a band 2 ET->CE return upgrade is a pretty simple 15000 avios value. You might alternatively just value the upgrade at Ł100-150 and call that a decent 1.5-2%ish return on Ł7k MC spend. (Clearly you can get a much more costly upgrade too: my last one saved 68k avios longhaul I think, but it's not a flexible/useable as a BAPP voucher.)

There's a Ł24 fee but a 4500 referral bonus. In fact I understand your partner can refer you for the card even if they don't have one, so the referral bonus is effectively 4500+4500. But if you want a referral from a card holder just ask.

https://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/colle...pthLandingPage
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I read some horrible stories about cards not being attached to avios accounts. 7K threshold is decent, could get it after 1 month and then use different card.

After reading T&C, don't think that upgrade voucher is worth the money: "Only bookings paid for using full Avios are eligible to be upgraded using the voucher. Avios and Money bookings and bookings paid for fully in cash are excluded." I hardly use avios for longhaul booking.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Think it's been that way for ages - you need to go to the BAEC pages and combine Avios from there, pulling them from DC to BA.
Ah. I had a browse and couldn't see it on BA either ...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I read some horrible stories about cards not being attached to avios accounts. 7K threshold is decent, could get it after 1 month and then use different card.

After reading T&C, don't think that upgrade voucher is worth the money: "Only bookings paid for using full Avios are eligible to be upgraded using the voucher. Avios and Money bookings and bookings paid for fully in cash are excluded." I hardly use avios for longhaul booking.
Re the first bit - this is sadly because Avios.com use a stupid system where they try to automatically match accounts rather than just asking for your membership number! Accounts are easily merged via webchat on Avios.com though.

I would disagree re voucher value although accept if you never use it for longhaul then it's not got much value - however given the price jump on off-peak BA redemptions in CW vs WTP I find it excellent value there. Got 48k out of the voucher for my Chicago redemption (paid the other 52k + Ł340 odd in taxes/fees - I was happy with that overall!)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jordan D
Ah. I had a browse and couldn't see it on BA either ...

Manage my account

Combine avios

Select DC

Complete the transfer.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
very sad annoucement - wondering what card to use for all my HMRC tax transaction now - bmi mastercard was def a nice little earner!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club

RIP the credit card that got me into the miles and points game, will be sorely missed.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GavT_london
very sad annoucement - wondering what card to use for all my HMRC tax transaction now - bmi mastercard was def a nice little earner!
Yes, this is a royal PITA. I've had a look around the alternatives already but the issue is it really helped me hit the 241 targets. I have a family of 5 so it's expensive.

Am wondering whether getting an AA card might work - so I build points for 4 on the BA account, and the 5th on the AA one.

It also makes VS look rather tempting, although without the 241s it'll be a hard slog to get the 5 of us across the pond in J...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
All good things come to an end it seems but it's lasted much longer than many thought and giving 3 months notice on the discount withdrawal is pretty fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.