Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, and that's always been the case, particularly when it became the best for kneeroom (but not necessarily legroom). On this particular flight I would suspect row 5 will be the last to lose the middle seats, but it would be very unusual to have more than 3 or 4 new Gold bookings, probably less, so my guess is that only 3A won't get an empty seat, and that's due to presumably a couple in 3B and C.
Sounds plausible. I got my first UK domestics in a few month. So the best strategy seems to be to check the seatmap via manage my booking shortly before the flights and if it fills rather fast to switch from row 1 to row 2 (or 3 or 4).
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Yes, thanks again CWS this is a good thread.

One thing is that in the past few months on the 2 occasions on domestic when I didn't have a free seat beside me I had a member of staff (in full uniform) presumably because they were a last minute / standby sort of a seat reservation?

I should say that I was very happy with this due to the opportunity for chitty-chatty, the staff members- probably not so much...!!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:02 am

An interesting and very helpful thread ^ Doesn't bring me much joy however!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great post thanks. Any idea when this started?

I'm a GCH and I've done 3 ET returns in the last 3 weeks and each time moved myself to an exit row window (A319/A320) and been surprised almost every time to have the entire bank of 3 seats to myself come the doors being closed, even on some quite busy flights. Or maybe I just got lucky.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm now a blue and have a LHR-KUL booked in September, on a 789. Currently there are no window seats or middle seats available to select - even for a fee. Basically there are no pairs together. Is this FLY related, or a true reflection of what's available? Is it likely to change at OLCI, eg bassinet pairs becoming available to blue members?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:06 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Silver seems not to have this benefit.
No problem, only silver for one more flight
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:19 am

Seems bloody complicated!

Look forward to seeing how this works on mates trip to AGP in Autumn. I'm back at Silver, one Bronze, two Blues.

Outbound - they're on one booking together, HBO. I'm booked separately, non-HBO. Seems like I won't even have the option to pick a seat next to theirs if we're 'theoretically' segregated.

Inbound - all booked together HBO. Presumably we'll get the Silver assignment.

How does this affect the SSCI machines - is the HBO workaround still available?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by HIDDY
'I know my place'.....and I'd rather go to the Hebrides than Hawaii thanks.
Ooh, there's an interesting Tier Point run... how many would that be worth??

Thanks for the guide c-w-s, I have to confess the seating thing is all a bit of a dark art to me and I'm way too tight to pay for a specific seat on a domestic basic fare (work have booked me a couple of duty trips with baggage though so I've taken full advantage of moving to row 1 there! )
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Ooh, there's an interesting Tier Point run... how many would that be worth??
From Argentina, quite a few
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Great work, thanks CWS and others.
I have noticed this more than ever on my recent flights - I've barely had to sit next to people at all!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Seems bloody complicated!

Look forward to seeing how this works on mates trip to AGP in Autumn. I'm back at Silver, one Bronze, two Blues.

Outbound - they're on one booking together, HBO. I'm booked separately, non-HBO. Seems like I won't even have the option to pick a seat next to theirs if we're 'theoretically' segregated.

Inbound - all booked together HBO. Presumably we'll get the Silver assignment.

How does this affect the SSCI machines - is the HBO workaround still available?
I have experience of this from over the weekend. See my post here. In summary, whilst the workaround the select a seat for free still works, the seat availability between me (Silver) and my travelling companion (Blue, separate booking) was vastly different. SSCI seat map reflected exactly what was available for purchase on MMB.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Have we established if this shows the same results via MMB as well as at time of booking or not...? Because I have a sneaky feeling that the two *may* show different results...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:41 am

Curious that the new system works on SSCI yet they still haven't fixed the HBO workaround.

p.s. what an awful name Theoretical Seating is!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I'm not so sure that Silver's don't benefit from this change- I can certainly see the downsides of being restricted T-72, but on the whole, since this started (or I noticed) I've had many empty seats next to me as a Silver.

As an example on a recent LHR-TXL return, I chose 10F on an A319 (both ways, exit row) and on the flight (which were both about 90% full) I had the middle seat in the exit row remain free- which was great! In fact most SH flights that are around 90% or less, I've had a free seat next to me 100% of the time since last month.

Looking at EF now, it appears that for all of my upcoming LH flights, I do have a free seat next to me. I have 8 upcoming LH WT flights coming up, so I can report back my experience as a Silver.

EDIT: All flights I've booked recently have been about 2 weeks before departure, so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with not having a person next to me most times.

Last edited by BA0197; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:34 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA0197
I'm not so sure that Silver's don't benefit from this change- I can certainly see the downsides of being restricted T-72, but on the whole, since this started (or I noticed) I've had many empty seats next to me as a Silver.
Yes, I think on balance Silvers do benefit. There tends to be a bit of a headlong rush toward the front of the aircraft at T-72, and in the past that meant Silvers and Golds didn't see any space advantages due to excess of demand over supply. Theoretical Seating (TS) turns off the tap somewhat.

But there was a particular group within Silver that used to leverage up their seating at T-72, so called Active Silvers, and since they are the largest status group flying on any given day, a few seat moves from that group would have what some may perceive to be a negative impact. What TS is doing, in collaboration with the seating policies pre-FLY (pre-72 hours), is generally giving a better outcome and decongesting the front of the aircraft; however beyond that general statement there can be some hard luck stories, e.g. if booking at T-48 hours.

It is also reducing pressure on the overheads at the front of the aircraft, there was rarely a problem at the back, now it is more spread along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.