Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting unclean seat 1A back from ICN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Diamond Gold, Royal Orchid Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles Gold
Thumbs down Disgusting unclean seat 1A back from ICN

BA18 ICN-LHR 20/8
1A and 1B Clubworld

Absolutely disgustingly filthy seats on boarding, Korean spice paste (what we hope is) all over the panels, screen, remote control, seat. Damp seat too. Cabin crew were appalled and did a great job cleaning up – but really? 11 hours of flying when clearly not ready to fly? Just a sour end to an otherwise great trip, we don't have OCD but the thought of flying that long in a dirty cabin just yuck.

Complained to BA Customer Services. Charming lady called Gemma replied 48 hours later. Apologises profusely, acknowledges that the plane was delayed flying in, as a result of delay turnaround time was shorter than normal. Understands that it is not unacceptable. On behalf BA, appreciate your business, that you're a Gold Card holder etc – truly sorry – we have passed on comments to team yada yada yada – then was about to hang up when I discussed compensation.

Mood changes – Gemma's affronted. "We will offer a 'token gesture' to apologise of 5k Avios but that's all we can give I'm afraid". Discussion on how that is unacceptable ensues, that this is the 3rd time in 3 years that this has happened on a ClubWorld flight, last time there was a significant Avios compensation. I'm told while she appreciates where "I'm coming from", there is absolutely NO WAY that British Airways will compensate any more than the "gesture" of apology. I asked her what she would expect if I was her. She said "An apology, which is why I called". I count til til ten.

So let me get this right. A passenger buys a premium product, in allegedly the best seat in the house. It's filthy and does not meet expectations. BA totally and completely acknowledges that it is their fault and that service is below par. But yet no desire to compensate? So you fly a dirty plane did not deliver on your service quality and expect us to roll over and accept? After many times this has happened?

What should we do? I'm miffed and somewhat unsurprised, but this is really unacceptable...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Was there a vacant CW seat?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:26 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Instructions from on high at BA are that compensation given out for incidents like this have been cut across the board. I think you'll struggle to get any more than what you've already been offered.

I do agree that this is not acceptable, however getting a chunk of Avios doesn't really compensate to my mind. As you say it would ruin my whole flight and isn't something that can be easily forgotten about.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Start flying ke is the answer that springs to mind. Spotless planes, better seats, better food, and frequently cheaper fares. 3 times the problem with the magnitude you describe would be too much for me
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think you will find that most everyone on the forum would agree that this is unacceptable.

What seems to be policy now from BA is that Avios as a form of service recovery has been severely curtailed. So your realistic choices are to take the 5k and move on, and base your future flying decisions accordingly, or bang your head against the proverbial brick wall pushing for more.

However you decide, best of luck!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Cintapants
What should we do? I'm miffed and somewhat unsurprised, but this is really unacceptable...
The only sequence that springs to mind is:

1) Take it as far as you possibly can with BA (Cruz's office?), with the full expectation that you will get nowhere
2) Threaten court action for recovery of monetary compensation for an amount which is reasonable, and you can justify (this last bit is quite important)

Personal opinion is that it's not worth the stress. Switch your airline if it's happened 3 times - that's unacceptable.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Diamond Gold, Royal Orchid Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Was there a vacant CW seat?
If there was, it wasn't offered. And both 1A and 1B were horrible, so maybe they didn't have 2 seats
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
The only sequence that springs to mind is:

1) Take it as far as you possibly can with BA (Cruz's office?), with the full expectation that you will get nowhere
2) Threaten court action for recovery of monetary compensation for an amount which is reasonable, and you can justify (this last bit is quite important)

Personal opinion is that it's not worth the stress. Switch your airline if it's happened 3 times - that's unacceptable.
I know it's not worth the stress. But what happened to principles? I think this is the very reason why BA can get away with shoddy service, because there is no consequence. But what can we do, but say oops, error in judgement on choice of airline, let's change...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:37 am

I know it's not worth the stress. But what happened to principles? I think this is the very reason why BA can get away with shoddy service, because there is no consequence. But what can we do, but say oops, error in judgement on choice of airline, let's change...
Well, some on this board are predicting a Tesco-esque demise...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Change your airline choice if you remain unhappy, the litigation route (for such a small value and uncertain claim) isn't worth wasting your time and energy on. Vote with your feet, that would be my course of action if I become irreparably unhappy with a vendor/service provider.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:44 am

Yes when thinking of this I was reminded of the famous saying "people get the leaders they deserve". If we as customers keep accepting this as ok then BA's track record indicates they will shirk more and more of their responsibilities.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
This is the big question, and if this is the main issue I'd follow option 1 Virazuno suggested.

Voting with your feet is the future resolution, but shouting about your experience for the purpose of telling Mr Cruz what is going on (and with no expectation of substantial compensation) would be the best action to take based on principle.

Sorry for your bad experience, it is a bit of a kick in the teeth as you say.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:58 am

IMHO the best way to tackle these issues with BA is to generate bad publicity. Take lots of photos and publicise the details. Try and get newspapers/TV interested. Bad publicity is something that airlines hate.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Start flying ke is the answer that springs to mind. Spotless planes, better seats, better food, and frequently cheaper fares. 3 times the problem with the magnitude you describe would be too much for me
I can highly recommend KE, even in economy. Their A380 in economy is like premium economy on other airlines. Excellent service for the whole flight in all classes. I was very impressed.

If you're not happy with BA and compensation, just choose best airlines for the route and stop being loyal. When flying business, access to lounges is part of the package any way.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles
IMHO the best way to tackle these issues with BA is to generate bad publicity. Take lots of photos and publicise the details. Try and get newspapers/TV interested. Bad publicity is something that airlines hate.
The papers may well be quite receptive, given their recent coverage of the meal enhancements. But I would guess they'd be more receptive to a picture of a Y seat than a J or F one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.