Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New fares enhanced (no more free changes [before departure day])

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

h/t HfP

It seems the new fare structure was too good to be true

From the HfP article:

As of last Friday, ‘Plus’ fares can no longer be changed for free except on the day of departure. Changes made in advance will now incur a change fee, usually Ł35 out of the UK, as well as the difference in fare.
‘Plus’ tickets bought before last Friday are exempt and can be changed for just the fare difference.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Extremely annoying. Yet another enhancement BA, it looks like they have an entire team solely dedicated to trying to figure out in which other ways they could scr*w passengers a little bit more every week.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:37 am

Let's hope they don't remove free same-day changes too...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:44 am
Original Poster

If this had been part of the rules when the changes were announced, it would have caused barely a ripple.

But to introduce it, then snatch it away again a few weeks later, frankly smacks of incompetence (and malicious incompetence at that)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
still a huge improvement from where we were before!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
If this had been part of the rules when the changes were announced, it would have caused barely a ripple.

But to introduce it, then snatch it away again a few weeks later, frankly smacks of incompetence (and malicious incompetence at that)
Totally agree, I changed a BA flight yesterday and was actually surprised when the TA told me that there was no change fee.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by stewaran
still a huge improvement from where we were before!
Yes it is but for how long?

The fact that this has only been here for a few weeks shows that they're willing to introduce something with great fanfare, lap up the applause and then remove it again.

Seriously. I can't rely on BA to deliver anything they advertise now. If I buy a CW ticket now for xmas, I think I can guarantee a bed and a flight. Everything else including food, drink and IFE seems to be up for removal at any time.

Although I'm silver for another 17 months, it's definitely time to abandon BAEC and go with the best option per flight. Not necessarily the cheapest the best all round option (Take note BA!).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Either they were testing the waters or found too many people were changing flights at no extra cost and decided it was obviously an easy ŁŁŁ earning method.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:39 am

Couldn't agree more.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:53 am
Original Poster

I'm organically at c3000 TPs this year and all other things being equal will keep my Gold card until Mar 2018.

In the next few months I will probably shell out a few hundred quid to get to 3500 and my GUF1 award, but more likely on AA/AY than BA tbh.

After that, who knows ? I certainly won't be busting a gut to hit 5000 - what's the point, after all BA seem to hold me in contempt...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:59 am

h/t HfP

It seems the new fare structure was too good to be true

From the HfP article:

As of last Friday, ‘Plus’ fares can no longer be changed for free except on the day of departure. Changes made in advance will now incur a change fee, usually Ł35 out of the UK, as well as the difference in fare.
‘Plus’ tickets bought before last Friday are exempt and can be changed for just the fare difference.
The change fee will actually be the same as currently applied to 'basic' fares...typically Ł60 ex UK.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Anyone hear the sound of a dripping tap?

I'm not personally too bothered about this, because most of my dates are fixed and my main use of Plus fares is to re-position from an ex-EU, giving me the option to move flight times to take advantage of an early arrival or mitigate a delay.

For most people, I can see this is a serious downgrade. I wonder if someone will remember to turn the tap off before there's a catastrophic flood?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Yes it is but for how long?

The fact that this has only been here for a few weeks shows that they're willing to introduce something with great fanfare, lap up the applause and then remove it again.

Seriously. I can't rely on BA to deliver anything they advertise now. If I buy a CW ticket now for xmas, I think I can guarantee a bed and a flight. Everything else including food, drink and IFE seems to be up for removal at any time.

Although I'm silver for another 17 months, it's definitely time to abandon BAEC and go with the best option per flight. Not necessarily the cheapest the best all round option (Take note BA!).
Agree (sadly).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Extremely annoying. Yet another enhancement BA, it looks like they have an entire team solely dedicated to trying to figure out in which other ways they could scr*w passengers a little bit more every week.
It's all about the Benjamins. Or is that all about the Queens when it comes to British money?

BA is on the hunt for shaking out more money out of its "valuable customers" while providing less in return to those customers.

Can't wait to see when the next massive BAEC devaluation hits. That's money too.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Let's hope they don't remove free same-day changes too...
Meh. The one time I actually tried to use that was when I discovered that - unlike Easyjet and Ryanair - you can only change to flights to the same destination airport. Brilliant when you're somewhere with 5+ daily LHR flights, but you're booked on the only LGW flight of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.