Wiki Posts
Search

BA Amex Card (UK) Discount?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
BA Amex Card (UK) Discount?

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere - I searched and didn't see it - but is there a discount associated with the UK Amex card? I am an American Expat in the UK and applied for/will receive a British Airways Premium Plus Credit Card. I know that in the U.S. there were discounts with Chase's BA card (10% or $50 off) is there something similar with this card?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
No, but you do earn a companion voucher after spending £10,000 in a year on the Premium Plus card or £20,000 on the standard card. This allows you to book one flight on Avios and get another free (subject to taxes). You also earn double Avios for spend with BA.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
No, but you do earn a companion voucher after spending £10,000 in a year on the Premium Plus card or £20,000 on the standard card. You also earn double Avios for spend with BA.
Thank for this info. Actually according to terms I saw you earn 3 avios for every pound spent with BA.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by jhjunc
Thank for this info. Actually according to terms I saw you earn 3 avios for every pound spent with BA.
Yes, that's correct. The Premium Plus card gives you 1.5 Avios on non-BA spend and 3 Avios on BA spend, which, if my maths is correct, is double
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My understanding is that you earn 1.5 avios per £1 spent on the Premium card so earning 3 avios for every £1 spent with BA is "double avios".

EDIT: Beaten by seconds by Filthy Monkey.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pet0r
My understanding is that you earn 1.5 avios per £1 spent on the Premium card so earning 3 avios for every £1 spent with BA is "double avios".
Right. I read too quickly - I thought you were saying 2 avios per £1 spent. 3 is nice. Although annual fee is high, I plan some extensive BA purchases over next year. I think I'll hit 10k and most of that on BA. might be work some nice Avios...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:18 am

The fee is high, but I think the benefits are still worth it, certainly for me anyway. I earn over 100k Avios annually on the card, which is nice, and while I don't always get to use the companion voucher, the fact that it's valid for two years (when you have the Premium Plus card) gives you a lot more flexibility. Also useful to note that, if you don't use it one year, you can actually use two vouchers on one booking, so buy two Avios flights, get two free...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
The fee is high, but I think the benefits are still worth it, certainly for me anyway. I earn over 100k Avios annually on the card, which is nice, and while I don't always get to use the companion voucher, the fact that it's valid for two years (when you have the Premium Plus card) gives you a lot more flexibility. Also useful to note that, if you don't spend one a year, you can actually use two vouchers on one booking, so but two, get two free...
Just to clarify, I still have to book 2 tickets to use the 2 companions, correct?

Also, I've never understood how those work. I've seen chatter that I have to book a relatively high priced fare class (Y in economy for example) in order to use the companion. Is that correct? Or am I able to book a good deal and use the companion.

Thanks.

Last edited by jhjunc; Aug 24, 2016 at 4:22 am Reason: clarifying companions comment.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to clarify, I still have to book 2 tickets to use the 2 companions, correct?

Also, I've never understood how those work. I've seen chatter that I have to book a relatively high priced fare class (Y in economy for example) in order to use the companion. Is that correct? Or am I able to book a good deal and use the companion.

Thanks.
You can use it on almost any selection of flights advertised *and* operated by BA that have the necessary 2 award seats available in the class you want. I think you can also use combinations of Jokers and things to open up space but I've never earned enough tier points to look into that.

Specifically what you have to pay is the "taxes and fees" for 2 people, just not the avios cost for 2.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:41 am

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere - I searched and didn't see it - but is there a discount associated with the UK Amex card?
Actually, the opposite happens. BA charges you £5 / ticket for the privilege of paying with their branded BA Amex card (vs a debit card).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markle
Actually, the opposite happens. BA charges you £5 / ticket for the privilege of paying with their branded BA Amex card (vs a debit card).
That is really annoying. But did you know that if you have a credit card with a U.S. address associated with it, there's no fee? Silly or perhaps related to differences in U.S. & UK CC processing fees.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by markle
That is really annoying. But did you know that if you have a credit card with a U.S. address associated with it, there's no fee? Silly or perhaps related to differences in U.S. & UK CC processing fees.
Not if you live in Germany
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pet0r
You can use it on almost any selection of flights advertised *and* operated by BA that have the necessary 2 award seats available in the class you want. I think you can also use combinations of Jokers and things to open up space but I've never earned enough tier points to look into that.

Specifically what you have to pay is the "taxes and fees" for 2 people, just not the avios cost for 2.
Got it. So I can book an RT off-peak LON-WAS in F for say 120k avios for 2 and simply pay taxes/fees for both tickets? Pretty good deal.

Another Q on this if I may: Can I make a cash booking and get the companion ticket for free or is it only when redeeming avios?

Last edited by jhjunc; Aug 24, 2016 at 5:05 am Reason: Adding question.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:06 am

The 2-4-1 voucher is the best perk of any credit card in the UK and is very valuable and easy to use. Let me know if you need a referral link. Rather than the standard 25k bonus from their website you can get 26k if referred by someone else (in the interests of full disclosure I would also receive 9k).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:07 am

Another Q on this if I may: Can I make a cash booking and get the companion ticket for free or is it only when redeeming avios?
It is only when redeeming Avios and the entire booking has to be made in Avios (ie. no part Avios, part cash bookings). One ways are permitted but you must start your journey in the UK. Open jaws are also permitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.