Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA or BA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

AA or BA?

A lot of my travel is on the new AUS <-> LHR nonstop. I am wondering if I am better off on the BA executive club program using that when I fly AA or if I'd be better off sticking to the AA advantage program? Any thoughts opinions?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
A lot of my travel is on the new AUS <-> LHR.
Business Class or Economy?
Discounted fare or full fare
Do you already have status with AA?
Do you prefer to have lounge access (even flying domestic in the US)?
Do you give importance to paying for fuel surcharges when redeeming flights?

All personal facts that would drive the AA/BA question.

Having said that with the New revised AA programe, I think it is a big disadvantage to flying a OW partner airline rather than AA when crediting to AA since AA cannot determine your spend.

Last edited by KenJohn; Aug 18, 2016 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There are lots of moving parts but IMO it depends on two big factors:

1) AA program is now revenue based whereas BA is still 'miles' based (for now). Therefore the cost and class of your tickets has an influence.

2) Do you live in the UK or US? AAvantage awards on AA metal are surcharge free (so good for US resident), but redeeming AA miles for BA shorthaul out of London is not particularly good value compared to BAEC with reward flight saver (so BA better for a UK resident).
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JpMaxMan
A lot of my travel is on the new AUS <-> LHR nonstop. I am wondering if I am better off on the BA executive club program using that when I fly AA or if I'd be better off sticking to the AA advantage program? Any thoughts opinions?
There are (now) several threads by potential AA refugees to BA (after the AA ffp recently changed
[There were several threads by potential BA refugees to AA (after the BA ffp changes some time ago]

As above what are your objectives with a ffp?
For many USA based frequent flyers (free) upgrades are a high priority. Non USA based airline do not give out upgrades (free or miles/cash) like is common (and expected) practice with USA airlines.

Look here:= http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

With the majority of ffp's benefits are reducing and ff mile award/upgrade costs are going up.
Upgrades are now harder to get.
The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I live in the US and travel out of CLT normally to SFO or SJC. BAEC gold gets me lounge access on AA domestic Y where as I don't think the equivalent tier on AA does.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
One minor [but critical] point ... as I expect you already know, BA Silver/Gold will require you to have flown 4 eligible sectors on BA [BA metal or code-share] in the membership year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25948897-post4.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.