Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Good news for UK travellers wanting to register for US Global Entry....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good news for UK travellers wanting to register for US Global Entry....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP.
now if we can only get BA TSA pre
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by CommanderB
Chucko.... this page seems to say otherwise...

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/niv-london/
I stand corrected. A friend who took her kids into the Embassy last year to get their passports renewed ran into the cellphone ban, which appears to have been lifted.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
I could NOT even imagine going thru MIA WITHOUT GE! I would fly thru another airport just to avoid the Customs & Immigration lines at MIA.

HOWEVER, GE is a total & complete game changer. We flew thru MIA in May coming from South America. Total time to get thru GE, 15 seconds!!!
Agreed.

MIA is a disaster zone without GE.

M
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
My GE application was approved at the Las Vegas centre yesterday and I got a confirmation email the same day. Anyone know when I will be able to use it for TSA-Pre? Tried the '98' number as my KTN yesterday and today and neither came through as TSA-Pre on the boarding card. Is there usually a delay?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I was approved on Friday, put my KTN in a booking and was able to use it on Monday.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Got GE earlier this month - had final interview at Champlain on US/Canada border. 15 minute interview by a very friendly TSA agent, and received my email later that day approving my application.

Couple of things to note when first used:
passing through Montreal en route to Chicago I couldn't use fast track security as the Canadian insisted on me showing my GE card - I don't have one as it is held electronically on my UK passport. Was advised that is the case throughout all Canadian airports when travelling to the USA. Hopefully this will change as more people have their GE stored electronically.
However, having finally got through fast track security another way, I rolled up to the clear US immigration, headed to the electronic machines and (1) scanned my passport, and (2) did my fingerprints and was straight through - extremely speedy and a welcome relief from the usual queues.

Unfortunately, as others have already noted, you don't always get TSA Pre as it is dependent upon airline. BA don't do it, and at ORD, T5 doesn't have TSA Pre at all.

Useful link here as to what airports/airlines have TSA Pre: https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/map

Last edited by Only1BD; Jul 27, 2016 at 12:49 pm Reason: Add TSA Pre link (added after KARFA's comment below)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think there are any non-US/CA/MX airlines in trusted traveller scheme, although I think EY are now in. I think there was something about other airlines like BA joining in the next few years.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Given that a lot of the US airports have installed or will be installing APC then the benefits are reducing on that aspect.
APC is a passport and customs check not approval, once you have your slip from the machine you proceed to queue for a CBP officer just the same, you hand your slip from the machine in to Customs the same as the old customs form. From using it before I got GE it seems to just space the queue out a bit and cause confusion at BOS,
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by chucko
I stand corrected. A friend who took her kids into the Embassy last year to get their passports renewed ran into the cellphone ban, which appears to have been lifted.
Indeed this used to be the case until quite recently when the ban was lifted and you can now take your phone, remote locking car keys, and other such dangerous devices into the embassy. A friend went to renew her US passport in person a couple of months ago and was able to take her phone with her.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
May I ask - does this in anyway assist if you are arriving in Canada as UK citizen?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bermyandy
May I ask - does this in anyway assist if you are arriving in Canada as UK citizen?
no difference whatso ever, unless you are also a Canadian PR and you can go for Nexus
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I have had Global Entry since 2011. It totally rocks!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I have had Global Entry since 2011. It totally rocks!
GE is better than sliced bread. The apic machines have improved things esp at mia, but can still be a zoo. GE? No problems, ever, and i have used it many times at many airports. As for the post above re being asked for a ge card in Canada, GE have not issued cards for years, that guy was simply wrong and i have used it at pre-clearance in toronto, banff, vancouver and halifax when heading back to the us with no issues at all. I also believe the Us were looking at adding certain foreign airlines to tsa-pre as basically they want everyone pre-checked for obvious reasons. It will come one day i am sure. I often book with AA, or for AA segments i get the AA PnR and enter my GOES id with AA, or call them to do it. No use for ba departures from the US, but will work for AA connections.

It costs what 42 quid? Cost me over a thousand dollars thanks to courier charges and flight charges when i got it as i lived abroad at the time and had a code before the uk was offically approved (larry panetta rules!) - worth every penny... Ps, it is interesting there is a back log again, but i think that is usual at this time of year as the summer holidays approaches. I glad the apic machines put quite a few off as i don't want you lot hogging the machines and creating possibly the first queue i have ever seen for a machine... :-).

Hopefully the uk embassay will become permanent, be useful for renewal time next year i think!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CommanderB
I agree with Karfa... The UK one should be pretty quick, I think mine cleared overnight... but I was not surprised as I've had lengthier background checks anyway. The US side on the other hand....
Originally Posted by KARFA
Something has gone wrong then. Most people seem to receive their Home Office approval within a matter of days - unless there is a problem with your record
Thanks guys, waiting for the feedback from them. haven't had a record since CDs became all the rage
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by GeeMac
haven't had a record since CDs became all the rage
DHS can be both extremely good and unsurprisingly terrible in the same day... so I wouldn't worry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.