Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Amex 2-4-1 for return flight from different Cities

Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist

Hello all,

I have tried to use the search function to see if this has been asked before, however nothing relevant came up. So apologies in advance!

Is it possible to use a Amex 2-4-1 to book a return journey but from different US cities? I.e. LHR > JFK, then IAD > LHR ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Hello all,

I have tried to use the search function to see if this has been asked before, however nothing relevant came up. So apologies in advance!

Is it possible to use a Amex 2-4-1 to book a return journey but from different US cities? I.e. LHR > JFK, then IAD > LHR ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Yes it is, although you'll have to do this by phoning the call centre.

Good luck
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I did this last year: LHR-ORD//IAD-LHR in F. Find the availability online and then call. They waived the offline booking fee when I explained it could not be done online.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:07 am

Am I correct in saying that the rule is that the (open-jaw) destination points must be closer to each other in distance than they are to the point of origin?

i.e. LHR --> KUL, BKK --> LHR (which I have done) is fine, but, for example, LHR --> CDG, AMS --> LHR would not be allowable.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I did this last year: LHR-ORD//IAD-LHR in F. Find the availability online and then call. They waived the offline booking fee when I explained it could not be done online.
Totally possible, and a great way to add to the value of the 241. I find the hardest thing about doing something like this is getting someone to actually answer the phone at the Exec Club!

Definitely call in armed with the most up to date online availability. The fee should be waived for something that cannot be done online, though sometimes I've had to argue this, and once had to call back to get another agent. Good luck!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
as others have said - yes it absolutely is possible to do this, but you have to call up; I got this done very easily through the Gold line last week (LHR-AUS-DFW-LHR), but other lines you may need to wait or explain a little more simply what you are doing...

figure out the availability for the routes & dates you want using the way-one search feature online, then call up

the city pairs need to be closer to one another than the original departure point - so your proposed trip should be fine (as should most US open-jaws: not sure whether at the edges LHR-BOS-LAX-LHR would work...)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
this is a really useful feature by the way - not just for making twin-city trips work but also in the event of low availability on the return you want - for mine there was very limited returning left out of Austin but being able to book the return via IAH or DFW (a short road-trip away) made the trip viable again
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by djb25
Definitely call in armed with the most up to date online availability. The fee should be waived for something that cannot be done online, though sometimes I've had to argue this, and once had to call back to get another agent. Good luck!
Officially the distinction is that they will waive the fee if something should be possible on the website but isn't working. Open-jaw awards aren't available on the website so the fee should be charged, but you might get lucky.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by pauldb
Officially the distinction is that they will waive the fee if something should be possible on the website but isn't working. Open-jaw awards aren't available on the website so the fee should be charged, but you might get lucky.
I didn't realise that. I got it waived when I explained it was not possible online, otherwise I would have done it via ba.com. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world. I agree with other re. availability. For ours at Christmas, there was no availability back from ORD. I'd never been to Washington, so I checked out IAD and found F seats, so we decided to tag on a trip there at the end of our stay.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:44 am

About to do this out to JNB back from CPT - it is really helpful especially when availability is mixed.

I got charged the telephone fee even though I argued about it for a while. The explanation is the one above - this is not an online option only a service by phone so you have to pay.

To be honest I was so overjoyed at getting two CW seats from CPT that I went quietly in the end.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
How much is the fee they charge ?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-service-fees

The offline booking fee is 15 - although it is not charged for GCHs.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by ratypus
as others have said - yes it absolutely is possible to do this, but you have to call up; I got this done very easily through the Gold line last week (LHR-AUS-DFW-LHR), but other lines you may need to wait or explain a little more simply what you are doing...

figure out the availability for the routes & dates you want using the way-one search feature online, then call up

the city pairs need to be closer to one another than the original departure point - so your proposed trip should be fine (as should most US open-jaws: not sure whether at the edges LHR-BOS-LAX-LHR would work...)
Is there not more than just the distance between city pairs. Different regions come into it as well, eg Buenos Aires and Santiago are close but in different regions .
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rjhcambs
Is there not more than just the distance between city pairs. Different regions come into it as well, eg Buenos Aires and Santiago are close but in different regions .
This only comes into play when you are attempting to change an already issued 241 ticket. When booking, the open jaw return can be from a different zone providing the distance rule is satisfied. See the discussion and linked threads here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-open-jaw.html
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC
We did LHR-JFK(CW)-EWR-LHR (1st) last year with an AMEX 2for 1. Technically, different cities I suppose..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.