Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My trip of a lifetime starts in 30 hours - thanks Flyertalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My trip of a lifetime starts in 30 hours - thanks Flyertalk

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It certainly used to be the case that you had to book well in advance for Alcatraz, so bear that in mind. Myself & Mrs Swiss didn't realise this so just had to settle for sailing past at some distance!
It still is and especially in August I would have thought. Try and go early in the day before the crowds build up. It's an amazing experience. But do book in advance.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:41 pm

You will love Seattle. I am watching weather Wed 81 ,Thur 87, Fri 87, Sat is torchlight parade(night parade)think was 78. Hope you are planing on taking ferry can just walk on or take car. some people Like Mt St Helens volcanic park. But if you have visited Mt Etna(where I used to live) it might not be that interesting. Have fun. We are taking our first international flight next month on BA. Looking forward to it. We will be Flying back to Seattle on BA 0053 on a Thursday also. Have been getting reports of crazy wait time lines in T5 we are planing on getting to airport 7:15 for 9:45 flight. If you have time post your experience. I can help with Seattle, Washington, Oregon coast for kids and adults if you need places to go and times to drive. There are several constructions going on right now on I5.
Anyway Have a good time coming to northwest and south to LA.

Last edited by sandy12; Jul 26, 2016 at 2:29 pm Reason: didn't spell correctly
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:07 pm

I can highly recommend the science museum, the 1950's monorail and the view from the top of the Space Needle, especially if you get a clear day.
I actually found the Columbia Center building (highest building around there) at 76 stories, to be a more interesting way to get a view of the city and beyond into the Sound.

There is a wrap-around 360 degree viewing room on the 73rd and there is a charge to get in, but it's far less expensive than the rather extortionate cost of going up into the Space Needle.

There is a small snack bar, too. It's so high you are almost in the clouds, ha. And there are cafe table high counters with chairs where you can have a coffee or something to eat while looking at the view. It's fantastic.

Fun moment was when we looked right down into the Seattle Seahawk stadium when a football game was being played. With binoculars, we could watch the game.

It's in the 700 block of 5th Avenue downtown.

A real gem that a lot of folks miss. My friend who lives there suggested it over the Space Needle--a much more famous landmark--and it is still great to take the Monorail over there.

But it is now nearly dwarfed around it, by the dozens of extreme high rises being built right now in downtown Seattle. But the Columbia building is not yet surpassed, so has a clear view in all directions.

Enjoy. Great town, Seattle.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Gold
I can highly recommend the science museum, the 1950's monorail and the view from the top of the Space Needle, especially if you get a clear day.

Have a great trip.
It certainly used to be the case that you had to book well in advance for Alcatraz, so bear that in mind. Myself & Mrs Swiss didn't realise this so just had to settle for sailing past at some distance!
Originally Posted by Concerto
I also did the PCH but it was the extreme northern chunk, which was seriously grueling driving. You've got to be really careful not to underestimate the distances there.
Originally Posted by chrismk
It still is and especially in August I would have thought. Try and go early in the day before the crowds build up. It's an amazing experience. But do book in advance.
Thanks all. Yes, we have pre-booked Alcatraz and are doing an early morning trip to avoid the biggest crowds. Haven't looked in to the Space museum - sounds good. I'll look in to it. As for the PCH, taking 4 days to drive between Seaside and Gold Beach. Hoping to do some whale watching. I've heard Depoe Bay might be the place to try unless anyone knows any different?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Definitely - we want to hear all about it! I went to the West Coast for the first time in May and absolutely loved it.

Have a fantastic holiday.
Originally Posted by Madge Ishen
Sounds like a fantastic trip! Hope that you realise that you will now need several more lifetimes to do more great trips!

Have a wonderful time and I look forward to your report!
Ah, the pressure!!! But you are right, I MUST do one and will.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sandy12
Sat is torchlight parade(night parade)think was 78.......We will be Flying back to Seattle on BA 0053 on a Thursday also. Have been getting reports of crazy wait time lines in T5 we are planing on getting to airport 7:15 for 9:45 flight. If you have time post your experience.
Thanks sandy12 The torchlight parade sounds fantastic. We are staying pretty central so we should catch that. Not too sure about current T 5 delays. I know they were bad last week due to an IT upgrade but have they not cleared?

Originally Posted by randomflyer
I actually found the Columbia Center building (highest building around there) at 76 stories, to be a more interesting way to get a view of the city and beyond into the Sound..
Thanks for your help randomflyer. Will look in to this
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Quick question: we are arriving T5 around 6pm tomorrow evening and staying at the Sofitel. Are there are any choices in T5 (presumably landside) in grabbing a bite to eat or would the hotel be the best answer?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by JonTY1
We are going to do a bike ride around the bay
I recommend the "Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito Tour" from http://baycitybike.com/. Apart from the 3-hour guided tour itself, you get the bike for the whole day to do your own sightseeing as well.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
Have a great trip. I did a similar thing two years ago. The LA Disneyland felt the best of the three I have been to, EuroDisney and the Florida one being the others, as the scale is a bit more manageable.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Quick question: we are arriving T5 around 6pm tomorrow evening and staying at the Sofitel. Are there are any choices in T5 (presumably landside) in grabbing a bite to eat or would the hotel be the best answer?
As you are travelling in First, you have access to both CCR and GF lounges, so getting someting to eat there will not be a problem at all. Enjoy 😄👍
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Hilde
As you are travelling in First, you have access to both CCR and GF lounges, so getting someting to eat there will not be a problem at all. Enjoy 😄👍
No, he means the previous evening.

There's a Carluccio's landside and also a pub. They're both in the check in area.

Alternatively you have the option of getting a picnic in from M&S Simply Food, which is in the arrivals area.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Following Swiss Tony's answer, if you like the look of the other terminal's land side restaurants hop on the Underground for free (Tap on/off) and head there. Also you could if you had time take the tube a few more stops and try some restaurants further up the line - see if Tripadvisor throws up anything good. You'd have to pay to take the tube further out though
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
No, he means the previous evening.
Ah, my bad.
Thanks, Swiss Tony, for providing useful information😊👍
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:07 pm

The annual seafair event is happening at the moment this weekend has the torchlight parade and a few other activities and if your around next weekend the hydro's race on lake Washington and the US Navy Blue Angels do an airshow. The blue angels base themselves at Boeing field and you can get an up close look as well as tour the museum of flight. A good day out if your around that long.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
No, he means the previous evening. There's a Carluccio's landside and also a pub. They're both in the check in area. Alternatively you have the option of getting a picnic in from M&S Simply Food, which is in the arrivals area.
All of the above are good options. The pub, Five Tuns, has a short kids menu.

In the hotel, there are two restaurants, one with an international menu from pizzas to Indian dishes and such, and the second with a French focused menu. Here is a link to part of the menu of Vivre, the international restaurant:

https://www.zomato.com/london/vivre-...-heathrow/menu

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 26, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.