Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Customer Service Blunder: Wrongly Charged Phone Fee

Customer Service Blunder: Wrongly Charged Phone Fee

Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
It sounds to me like you're just belligerent enough to have got the fee waived every time, and then taken that success as being the correct operating procedure.

And then got more belligerent when people have told you that you're wrong...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Slight overreaction then?
Nah, just a 'blunder'.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by Foltan
It sounds to me like you're just belligerent enough to have got the fee waived every time, and then taken that success as being the correct operating procedure.

I'm not being belligerent or mad. It just seems like a completely unfair business practice by BA to me. If that's the policy, than that's the policy. But that has not been what has been done in the past.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I'm not being belligerent or mad. It just seems like a completely unfair business practice by BA to me. If that's the policy, than that's the policy. But that has not been what has been done in the past.
It might be just me, but I'm getting confused
Have you been charged previously or not?
To quote you from post 13 "Yeah on second thought I've been charged every time it's not an issue. Thanks"
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Wow, a $750 saving by the OP. Congratulations on your luck! Even better than some ex-EU fare savings!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mlafqtv
To quote you from post 13 "Yeah on second thought I've been charged every time it's not an issue. Thanks"
I think that was a tongue-in-cheek response to:

Sounds like you have benefited a lot in the past, so I would quietly forget the charge. of course BA might read this topic and ensure that no further agents forget having realised they are missing out on several $25's
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Foltan

It doesn't require any belligerence - a polite request will often suffice... In fact, many agents proactively offer it, I've never paid the fee and only asked not to 50% of the time.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Well this makes absolutely zero sense. It's not available any other way but by calling British airways on the phone, and thereby forcing you to pay a fee. Uhhh... blackmail anyone?
No-one is forcing you to use your Avios on Alaska Airways. If the phone fee is reason to not book on AS, then that is your decision!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I actually agree with the OP. The fact that something is part of the T&C does not necessarily make it correct or even enforceable.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I actually agree with the OP. The fact that something is part of the T&C does not necessarily make it correct or even enforceable.
Equally, the fact you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't enforceable... Given the infrastructure and staffing costs BA incur on a telephone booking (I know I've spent almost an hour talking to someone with a more complicated booking before), I'm struggling to see how it could ever be ruled legally unenforceable.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't referring to this specific example but in some countries you cannot punish the customer for ordering a service or product through the only channel available to them without clearly advertising it as part of the total cost.

You can have a surcharge if you offer the customer a choice.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Wasn't referring to this specific example but in some countries you cannot punish the customer for ordering a service or product through the only channel available to them without clearly advertising it as part of the total cost.

You can have a surcharge if you offer the customer a choice.
It is advertised here http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

What has punishment got to do with it? The customer uses a service, there is an advertised charge, the customer pays the charge for that service.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's about change fees.

Edit: sorry, meant to type service fees. It's when you choose to have BA provide you with an additional service on top of the product you're purchasing. For example you prefer to speak to an agent instead of booking online, which would be free.

Now if BA have advertised prices for a ticket from A to B but you cannot, for whatever reason, purchase them online so you have to use an agent, then BA can either not charge that fee or they have to change their advertised price to include the fee, as that is the actual consumer price.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That's about change fees.
It does lists offline service fees for new revenue bookings and isn't just about change fees. You are right though, for reward bookings I should have pointed you to this page

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-service-fees
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not disagreeing with you that BA advertises their fees. I am just saying that I always successfully object if I am charged a service fee for something I cannot do any other way.

Admittedly that has never been a reward booking but mostly complex itineraries or changes that could not be done online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.