Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-LHR-ORD visa check if go landside?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
DUB-LHR-ORD visa check if go landside?

Hi, per the comments on the connections thread and my experience changing for short hauls might well go landside rather than use FCC-but do I then need to visit a visa check desk landslide? Alternatively if I go to a check in desk in DUB can they do it? No need as HBO but maybe quicker than doing at LHR.

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Earlier in the year I went DUB-LHR-PHL. At DUB check-in I got my DUB-LHR and LHR-PHL boarding cards. At LHR rather than go through flight connections I exited landside as the queue for flight connections was huge. When I went to the barriers at the fast track line (I was in CE then CW) the gate didn't open and said something like please seek assistance. My visa for the US is an ETSA.

I went to the the Club world check in desks and went to the left hand desk which is just for visa checks. Took less than 30 seconds and the lady said that it would have been done at FCC if I had gone that route. To be fair even with this hiccup from stepping of the pane from DUB, exiting, getting the visa checked, going back through security I got into the lounge in less than 15 minutes. I feel that I would be waiting at FCC for longer than 15 minutes.

I did the same last week when I went DUB-LHR-SFO. Rather than go to the barriers at fast track I hedged my bets and went straight to the Visa check desk. The lady flicked through my passport and asked where my visa was, when I said I had an ETSA she said I didn't need a visa check doing. When I explained what had happened last time, she said it shouldn't of as it should have been checked in DUB so even coming landside the barriers should have opened without me having to come to the visa desk.

Bri
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:57 am
Original Poster

"she said it shouldn't of as it should have been checked in DUB so even coming landside the barriers should have opened without me having to come to the visa desk."

I guess if you've printed own BPs etc and not seen anyone in DUB it probably doesn't get done there.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In your shoes, I would certainly go landside, it's a lot quicker from DUB, and then indeed pass by the visa check desk before going to the barriers at Security. There usually isn't a queue at the visa check desk, you more or less have to walk past it anyway, so no matter what they do at DUB you should swing past and get them to scan your passport for ESTA verification. It makes no difference if it is done twice, but it makes a difference if it's not done at all.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In your shoes, I would certainly go landside, it's a lot quicker from DUB, and then indeed pass by the visa check desk before going to the barriers at Security. There usually isn't a queue at the visa check desk, you more or less have to walk past it anyway, so no matter what they do at DUB you should swing past and get them to scan your passport for ESTA verification. It makes no difference if it is done twice, but it makes a difference if it's not done at all.
Thanks as ever for the quick and detailed response.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by crowe
"she said it shouldn't of as it should have been checked in DUB so even coming landside the barriers should have opened without me having to come to the visa desk."

I guess if you've printed own BPs etc and not seen anyone in DUB it probably doesn't get done there.
I checked in online but opted to pick up my boarding pass at the airport at the desk as I had a bag to check in. I could see that if I had printed my own boarding pass and had HBO then that may have caused the issue.

Bri

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.