Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Hotel Reward Points to BAEC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Converting Hotel Reward Points to BAEC

Any opinions on converting around 20000 ihg reward points and the same number of Hilton Honour points to BAEC avios with the current 35% bonus offer?
Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Any opinions on converting around 20000 ihg reward points and the same number of Hilton Honour points to BAEC avios with the current 35% bonus offer?
Raffles is running an article on it tomorrow morning.
http://www.headforpoints.com
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you don't ever plan to need free hotel nights and those points are about to expire, then by all means convert those points to Avios.

Otherwise 20K IHG will convert to 5400 Avios. (1 or 2 free nights is more valuable to me than 5400 Avios)

20K HHonors will convert to 2700 Avios. Again, you can probably manage a low category free night from HHonors, or a Points & Money award.

The only hotel point conversion options that make any sense are SPG and a Marriott Hotel + Air package.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MrGatch
Raffles is running an article on it tomorrow morning.
http://www.headforpoints.com
I think the article is already up:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/06...sfer-to-avios/
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:36 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Can/would you otherwise use them for a hotel redemption? If not, then converting may make sense.

What value do you place on 20k IHG/HH points?

What value do you place on 5.4k/2.7k avios?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by nux
Can/would you otherwise use them for a hotel redemption? If not, then converting may make sense.

The value I place on hotel points and AMEX MR are the flexibility. Once you convert them to Avios you are locked in. Personally I already have too many Avios and like to keep my options open for converting to other airlines for an F redemption for example.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by nux

I wouldn't bother personally. 20k IHG points will you get you one or two hotel nights in a $100 room, but you will barely get past the end of the runway with 5400 Avios.

I have about 500k IHG points. It just doesn't make sense to give up at the very least a full week in any hotel in the group for just 135,000 Avios.

I also find IHG points far easier to redeem.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
The widely held view of these conversions is that they can be useful as a top-up tool to for a specific redemption but they almost never make sense just to boost an existing balance. As far as Hilton & IHG points are concerned, that rule is particularly applicable because, even with a bonus, they represent poor value for most.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:19 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm in a position where I'm relatively Avios poor (about 400k in a household account) but fairly IHG points rich (in excess of 1.1m once the current earning promotion ends in August). Even though I'm really not sure I'm ever going to be able to burn all my IHG miles given I generally earn quicker than I spend at the moment, the offer still doesn't really make sense - I have no immediate plans for a large Avios redemption, and I generally find IHG points easy to redeem if I happen to want to stay in an expensive city.

I suspect there are very few people that will find this offer attractive when they do the analysis.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
, and I generally find IHG points easy to redeem if I happen to want to stay in an expensive city.
Exactly this. I frequently turn up in a city for a night or two and there is a redemption stay available to book on the IHG App. Avios are much harder to redeem.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Really useful replies there, thanks.

I'll stick with the individual hotel programmes, as it would seem to be the better option for my needs.

I used a few IHG points for a night in HEL recently on a TP run, which was good value and will do the same in MIA later this year.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.