Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to obtain BA F Avios/tier pts when downgraded to D on CX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

My Email to BA:

My wife and I travelled on Cathay: May 30 CX568 HKG-KIX and on June 2 CX599 KIX-HKG [references given].
The Avios and tier pts have posted, but in D class rather than A class. The original tickets were issued on BA ticket stock for A class and the flights were confirmed at the time, but unfortunately a few months later CX withdrew ALL First Class services between these cities leaving us with no choice but to travel in Business, rather than First.
We would be most grateful if you could please manually adjust the Avios and tier pts for these flights to reflect the A class for which we paid.
Thank you.

BA's response:

Unfortunately Cathay will only authorise the avios and tier points for the cabin in which you travelled though I understand that this was not your choice. I'm sorry for any disappointment caused by this [etc]

My questions:

Has anyone had a similar, but more successful experience with BA?
Is there any way to persuade CX to become involved?
BA issued the ticket and CX downgraded the cabin for which we paid. At the very least we should accrue the original Avios/tier pts, don't you think?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The marketing carrier awards the avios/TPs, and it is up to CX policy whether they allow ORC or not.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Did CX compensate you for the downgrade?

I had a BA-CX LHR-HKG-PVG two sector redemption sold as First, but the HKG-PVG did not have First, so was involuntarily downgraded. CX did pay cash compensation there and then.

If they gave you compensation then not much chance of the TP's, If no compensation, you can keep trying, but from a number of incidents I have had with CX, they dont move much, you may get some Asia Miles if you have an account.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At least you can insist on a refund of the fare difference, at the time you purchased the ticket, between FC and business.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:50 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
As this is regarding BA-specific issues, I'm moving it to the BA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
try following this info in here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-s-guide.html
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you were given notice of this, then I would not expect any further remediation, other than a refund for the A->D difference. If it happened on the day that would be another matter. First on CX regional is a by-product of the aircraft involved, so this is a well known risk on such bookings. It rarely happens on their longhaul services.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
No refund possible as it's an AONE/Round the World ticket.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
As this is regarding BA-specific issues, I'm moving it to the BA board.
Why move this to the BA board when it deals specifically with a oneworld ticket issued by BA and the interaction between two OW airlines?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score
Why move this to the BA board when it deals specifically with a oneworld ticket issued by BA and the interaction between two OW airlines?
It is specific to the earning of BA avios and TPs
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:02 am

The fact that there was no 1st class on your flight the day that you used that segment means that you earn as a biz class segment. If you were using a biz class RTW ticket and flew in A class on an AA flight (which you are allowed to do), then you would earn as if you had bought a 1st class segment. It works both ways.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headinclouds
....If you were using a biz class RTW ticket and flew in A class on an AA flight (which you are allowed to do), then you would earn as if you had bought a 1st class segment....
Understood, but I could have bought a Bus Class RTW and been guaranteed First throughout the US, whereas, in my example, I was forced to downgrade. Two very different scenarios.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score
Understood, but I could have bought a Bus Class RTW and been guaranteed First throughout the US, whereas, in my example, I was forced to downgrade. Two very different scenarios.
You may have been able to rebook onto a flight where 1st class is still offered. In this case, the carrier in advance of travel ceased to offer 1st class on that service and rebooked into highest cabin offered

You then correctly received the earnings for the class of travel utilised

Given the reduction generally of services offering 1st class, 1st class ATW tickets have ( it seems to me ) a risk of ending up in business - especially intra Asia
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by GavT_london
As others have noted, I'm not sure that ORC is going to apply here given that the downgrade was made in advance. It's possible that a compelling explanation to BA could be made, and a sympathetic agent might credit the difference in tier points as a one-time exception.

I could only see that happening though if it was the difference between reaching a status tier or milestone (e.g. GUF2), and explaining that you booked that ticket and were expecting those tier points so you would earn that benefit.

That said, it's a long shot, given that CX didn't offer F on the flight (rather than it being a case of IRROPS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.