Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"You're Disturbing the Peace of First Class"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You're Disturbing the Peace of First Class"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by flipper118
Not sure this post has gone strictly to plan 😁
ha ha - I was thinking the same!

Aks120
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aks120
ha ha - I was thinking the same!

Aks120
Are you sure you didn't post just to give us some entertaining weekend reading?!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alexwuk
So, this line was shouted at me and some friends on a Friday on BA 275 (yep, that's the evening flight from Heathrow to Vegas). My friends and I had 1A, 1K, 2K and were chatting during the standard delay on the ground. At one point 3K, 4E and 4F ask us to stop talking as we're disturbing the "tranquility of F" (?!?!)

So: I'm GGL/CCR (and I haven't been to Hawaii or the Caribbean in a Decade) and I never "Expect" the tranquility of a class of service on a plane. It's public transport. The same week I was shouted at on Friday afternoon, I had flown my 9 month old in BA F CPT-LHR...

My view is: if you want peace and quiet: fly private. My friends and I were sober, and excited about flying to Vegas for a weekend away from family life.

So: what's right? Is BA F supposed to be a haven of quiet solitude? Or is public transport without a quiet-carriage supposed to be governed by reasonable norms of sharing a public space (PS: outside of Japan, this doesn't mean "total silence").

PS: for those who care, I checked the manifest: everyone who shouted at us was a BA blue, so almost by definition on their first F of the year - my team were 2xGGL, 1xGold
I'm afraid I find this whole post obnoxious in the extreme. The status references are irrelevant, vain, and slightly childish. The fact that three people on the other side of the cabin mustered the courage to tell off what must have appeared to them as a boorish lads' weekend/stag party does suggest you were louder than necessary. And finally the helpful comment that people who want quiet should fly privately; possibly one of FT's dumbest refrains....I must say that my immediate reaction on reading that was what someone else had posted....why didn't you hire the G5?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I think accessing the manifest is just wrong. What has it got to do with you?
^ I would be furious if someone did this, it is private information, between me and BA. I think the OP's behaviour is appalling!

PS I think there is a setting somewhere where you can block individual posters on FT, can someone please point me at where it is. I really don't want to read anything from this particular DYKWIA ever again!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:54 am

Sounds like three self-important bores heading to Vegas. Easy to spot - in the airport, in the lounges, on the plane.

My sympathies to those forced to travel in the same cabin and who had to ask them to pipe down.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Behaviour is contextual. If if you have annoyed 1/4 of the cabin then worth toning it down out of respect to others. Personally I would ban talking on board entirely but others are stranger than me and don't value the quiet time.
Like the tube in morning rush hour? No one says a word other than the platform chap/chapess hollering mind the closing doors. It is completely unnerving the first couple of times how so many people sardined together can be so quiet. Day of the dead mixed with groundhog day.

As for the op, did a mate get hold of your phone and post that for a larf? Go on, take the olive branch... Unless you are one of these people whos entire conversation is a loud: 'yeah yeah yeah mate yeah yeah mate. Mate. Yeah yeah yeah. Mate yeah yeah. Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah mate' like a couple of chaps in our london office. If so, you deserve everything this thread is throwing at you!

As for looking up people's status, AA have a habit of posting the manifest on the wall (last time on the wall between the Front and rear J cabin on the 77W), everyone's status and name in the open for all to see. I am sure i have seen BA do this too.

On the flip slide, peace and tranquility of F? It is a plane, noise everywhere. Click clank roar whhirrr bump clink of glasses and cutlery cough slurp parp. Not tranquil. Headphones on, tranquil. When they work...

Last edited by jcm9000; Jun 12, 2016 at 2:09 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
So, this line was shouted at me and some friends on a Friday on BA 275 (yep, that's the evening flight from Heathrow to Vegas). My friends and I had 1A, 1K, 2K and were chatting during the standard delay on the ground. At one point 3K, 4E and 4F ask us to stop talking as we're disturbing the "tranquility of F" (?!?!)

So: I'm GGL/CCR (and I haven't been to Hawaii or the Caribbean in a Decade) and I never "Expect" the tranquility of a class of service on a plane. It's public transport. The same week I was shouted at on Friday afternoon, I had flown my 9 month old in BA F CPT-LHR...

My view is: if you want peace and quiet: fly private. My friends and I were sober, and excited about flying to Vegas for a weekend away from family life.

So: what's right? Is BA F supposed to be a haven of quiet solitude? Or is public transport without a quiet-carriage supposed to be governed by reasonable norms of sharing a public space (PS: outside of Japan, this doesn't mean "total silence").

PS: for those who care, I checked the manifest: everyone who shouted at us was a BA blue, so almost by definition on their first F of the year - my team were 2xGGL, 1xGold
There it goes again. On another thread someone mentioned they checked the manifest, ok that incidence happened in 2003. But 2016, a passenger can check the manifest, can that be done? Isn't it invasion of privacy?

And does being Gold and GGL give you the right to be loud?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
It's been my experience that loud, boorish louts also tend to use quite a lot of over-the-top foul language with no thought as to who is nearby to hear their language. Then of course there's the usual bragging by this sort about their various conquests and absolutely no one should be subjected to that. I don't care what class they are in - it's unacceptable to subject others to such behavior.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by madfish

For referenece to status, I would say the OP is trying to get across that he is used to flying in F (including with a baby) and knows what to expect/how to behave, and yet on this occasion seems to have been complained at by other passengers.

[...]or maybe they were thinking OP was a tesco clubcard warrior who had no right to be in F?)
on first point, if so, what would be the logic of the reference to the status of the op's pals? And that of the people who complained? I join others in incidentally pointing out that it certainly sounds obnoxious to try to spy on other people's personal information without their consent and I too would be fuming if someone did that to me.

On the second point, is there anything that makes you suspect some or all of those three people were indeed randomly subject to such prejudices? It seems to me that the op is going to great lengths to double guess what the 'complainers' were or were not, but that they, on the other hand, were apparently merely pointing out that the op and is friends were a bit loud to their taste without making any obvious inferences about the latter.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm really puzzled by the status references. I just don't see how it could possibly be relevant.

How are we supposed to know if the people who asked you to pipe down were right? We were not here to hear you and know if you were actually loud or not. I'm equally puzzled by the reference to your trip with your 9 months old. How is that possibly a relevant piece of information? Are you saying it is supposed to give a presumption that you would be more disruptive? or less? or more allowed to be disruptive? Or less? I just don't understand.

What I can say is that I find your statement that "if you want peace and quiet fly private" makes absolutely no sense to me. It just strikes me as as absurd as it would be to say "if you want to be able to have fun with your pals on a plane fly private". Neither makes sense. I think that the assumption is that it is precisely a public place to be dealt with like a public place. It means that nobody could possibly expect you to not talk with your flying neighbours but conversely no one would certainly have license to make a nuisance of themselves by being loud and if in doubt, I'd probably suggest erring of the side of a bit more silence than a bit less.

Again, none of us have any clue whether you were "too" loud or not but I would definitely say that if your intention was to chat quite a bit then you made the wrong choice of seats. Despite popular belief here, 1A and K - and even more so 2A and K - are definitely intended as solo seats and whilst couples or friends are of course most welcome to select them, that is on the assumption that they behave as solo travellers would, ie I don't think 1A and 2K could possibly chat together from their seats without being loud, therefore, they most probably shouldn't, and 3 A-EF or EF-K or 4 A-EF or EF-K are definitely the seats to choose if conversation between more than two people is your plan during the flight as you can then achieve just as much banter with much less volume.

Was 3K travelling with 4E and F (which I presume were together) or was he/she a separate traveller? If together, it is hard to say, but if separate, the fact that two independent people would remark that you were too loud suggests that you were 99% likely in the wrong.

PS: how on earth do you make it that a blue would be on their first F?? (not that it makes any difference that they are on their 1st or 1,000,000th?) First of all you could fly in F and still be blue, and second, you could even more likely have been gold for years flying F and J all the time before fnding yourself blue because of a change of main airline or job.
This might happen to me very soon, (silver) if I don't do lots of flying in the next few months, but frankly, now, I really don't care about the colors.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
This might happen to me very soon, (silver) if I don't do lots of flying in the next few months, but frankly, now, I really don't care about the colors.
If i recall your travel is nearly(?) at cws levels. Enjoy the change (unless it is just a carrier change!). Quieter year for me next year too, nov-march this year was a tad too much for me, 26 segments in a matter of weeks was...tiring. colours really are most helpful in not in f/j, otherwise...meh. Anyway, that is for another day, back to the popcorn.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:43 am

Clearly this has annoyed the OP and he has come on for a bit of a moan - at least let him have that without accusing him of being all DYKWIA, unless of course he used the same arguments on the flight itself to shoot down his fellow passengers! Had it been a baby crying and the same comments had been made, would we be so judgemental? Maybe on FT we would, after all babies should not be in F

Have a bit of a moan by all means, but why embellish the post with irrelevant comments?

I just wonder how the OP would have reacted if 'noisy' passengers (blue, silver gold or GGL) kept his baby awake on his recent trip?

The OP's rant has backfired dramatically.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Originally Posted by flipper118
Not sure this post has gone strictly to plan 😁
The most appropriate thing (based on the OP's description of events) to do would have been for the OP and group to apologise for the disturbance and ensure they toned it down.

Checking out the other passenger's status on the manifest, belittling them on here, suggesting the should fly on a private jet and ultimately posting this complaint - certainly shows no class or consideration (regardless of accrued FFP status!).

At the end of the day, anywhere on a commercial flight is a public place and as such, everyone should be considerate and courteous to others around them - which means that anyone making sufficient noise that another passenger (let alone 3) feels the need to mention it, is by default in the wrong.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Congratulations OP for the best post on here I have read in ages! (I assume it was very, very TFIC?!) ^

Now, for the love of all that is good about FT, could we please have a response from Annoyedandbluein4F..?!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:02 am

……. maybe they were thinking OP was a tesco clubcard warrior who had no right to be in F?
Careful, us Tesco Teds always behave with the utmost decorum when in F. In that way we are a bit like the offspring of FTers, perfectly behaved all the time and nothing like the rabble of feral hooligans spawned by non-FT parents!

PS currently Bronze but about to fall from grace into the wide blue yonder. Oh for those glory days as a BM Gold refugee.

Last edited by Greenpen; Jun 12, 2016 at 3:05 am Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.