BA to move to new Terminal 2 at Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Not looking like September then?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold
An update from Friday, from an Egyptian newspaper says that Terminal 2 will re-open for "trial operation" from Wednesday (28th September):
Cairo Airport Terminal 2 begins trial operations on Wednesday (English Summary)

It says that Jazeera Airways and Kuwait Airways will be the initial airlines to move with a total of "15 airlines" moving from Terminal 1 eventually (the article doesn't list which airlines, but by my count around 30 airlines operate from Terminal 1 currently, so around half must be moving, presumably the more major airlines?). No word on whether BA will be part of the move or when other airlines may move...

Also interesting to see in the original Arabic article that the new terminal includes an 11 room hotel before customs (airside) - I hadn't heard about that before. Considering how heavily Cairo is used for transiting passengers (mainly with Egyptair, who use the adjacent Terminal 3) that 11 rooms is too few to be very useful.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:18 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itfcfan
Also interesting to see in the original Arabic article that the new terminal includes an 11 room hotel before customs (airside) - I hadn't heard about that before. Considering how heavily Cairo is used for transiting passengers (mainly with Egyptair, who use the adjacent Terminal 3) that 11 rooms is too few to be very useful.
The LM CAI which is just outside is of an extremely high standard (if you don't mind clearing security). Definitely the best SPG property in Egypt until the St Regis gets built.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:44 am

Flew through the T1 shambles yesterday, will be very glad to move.
Departing Thursday of this week, so T2 not ready soon enough to be experienced on this trip.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

It says that Jazeera Airways and Kuwait Airways will be the initial airlines to move with a total of "15 airlines" moving from Terminal 1 eventually (the article doesn't list which airlines, but by my count around 30 airlines operate from Terminal 1 currently, so around half must be moving, presumably the more major airlines?). No word on whether BA will be part of the move or when other airlines may move...
Given that I can't envisage many European airlines, ME3, etc passing up the opportunity to move terminals, an educated guess as to the airlines moving from T1 to T2 would be:

AF / AZ / BA / EK / EY / GF / J9 / KL / KU / ME / QR / RJ / SV / WY

Leaving the following airlines at T1 (apologies for some of the obscure codes):

3T / AH / AT / G9 / J4 / IA / IG / IY / NE / NP / SD / SM / TU / UJ / XY

No doubt someone will come along and add a currently missing airline or two (excluding those Star Alliance airlines operating out of T3).

Last edited by Phil the Flyer; Sep 27, 2016 at 1:52 am Reason: Added AT and IG
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Looks like Terminal 2 has (re-)opened.

Kuwait Airways have some photos on their Twitter feed from Wednesday:
https://twitter.com/KuwaitAirways/st...81569595387904
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:36 pm

Flew home yesterday, T1 is a .... hole!!
Hurry up and move BA
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Some details about shops in terminal 2:
http://www.moodiedavittreport.com/ca...y-free-stores/

This states only a couple of shops are currently available. Duty free is due to open in 8 weeks time...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Some details about shops in terminal 2:
http://www.moodiedavittreport.com/ca...y-free-stores/

This states only a couple of shops are currently available. Duty free is due to open in 8 weeks time...
The article also states - It will eventually handle SkyTeam, OneWorld and Gulf Carriers.

Interesting. That essentially confirms what you'd expect in terms of airlines transferring from CAI T1.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:54 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by CocoPops
Flew home yesterday, T1 is a .... hole!!
Hurry up and move BA
That remark is very unfair to holes!!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Positive news, another airline (Royal Jordanian) has started using Terminal 2 since yesterday (14th November).

Not so good news, part of the ceiling/roof collapsed yesterday (apparently at a time that no flights were using the terminal):
http://enterprise.press/stories/2016...-terminal-two/
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Was this the same architect as CDG and DXB...?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
BA move imminent?

My Flights now shows my BA flight using Cairo Terminal 2 in the last week of February.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Mine also at the end of Jan
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And mine from the end of December. Seems to swap on 11 Dec (12 Dec for BA154)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.