Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to move to new Terminal 2 at Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:16 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itfcfan

As an aside - the APM is quite unusual in that it contains two separate cars, locked from one another and stopping in different areas of the T2/T1 stations separated by a locked door. I understand that the car that isn't accessible from the public areas is an air-side transfer route. When I took the APM (mid-afternoon on a Saturday) it was running every 30mins. I was quite surprised to see half a dozen other people get on board (I'd rarely seen it running when I was at the airport before and I didn't think anyone used it). I don't think it'd be possible to run it any more frequently with the current design, because it's a single track and end-to-end travel time is ~12mins.
The idea is that there are secure airside transfers. It's clearly illustrated in this video

The only downside is that when connecting from T1 to T3 after collecting luggage then the ramps from the APM to the terminal entrance are extremely steep.

It will be nice to no longer have to use the 'British' or 'French' lounges that feel like you're sitting in someone's house.

Originally Posted by FLT001
On a side note - the 'VISA' situation always made me giggle. So many first time arrivals without a clue they need to go to a bank before getting through security...no signs either, all very Egyptian.
How very orientalist...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by m0hamed

How very orientalist...
Indeed.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Indeed, buying the visa from the bank counters never seemed very professional.
Almost like a unofficial way.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Reading one of the quoted articles earlier, it says that T2 will be A380 ready, so can only assume that it does have airbridges.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Interesting thank you. Given the 00:45 arrival time I think it would be welcomed!

The VISA is a joke anyway, $20 tourist tax. You used to be able to get a 6 month re-entry VISA for Ł3.50 once you were inside.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know if the opening of T2 will make it any easier to transit (airside) between T3 and T2 without a visa? I make the transit from T3 to T1 fairly regularly and it is tedious with all the waiting etc.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Interesting thank you. Given the 00:45 arrival time I think it would be welcomed!

The VISA is a joke anyway, $20 tourist tax. You used to be able to get a 6 month re-entry VISA for Ł3.50 once you were inside.
You might be in for a nasty surprise on your next visit: visas are $25.

The visa on arrival is a revenue earner, but not a joke. Similar processes are in place in a number of countries: the idea is to make things easier, more convenient, for visitors from a list of approved countries, without completely losing a revenue stream (in part) funding the immigration service.

The immigration officer has the final say of whether or not you get into the country, visa or no visa.

Turkey used to have a very similar service to the one current in Egypt. But Turkey has moved on to offer the alternative of E-visas, for many nationalities valid for multiple entries over six months. Here's I voice very faint hope that Egppt will one day move in the same direction....

Unless you were privileged, I believe the useful visa extension required a visit to the Mogamma. Always an interesting trip
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You might be in for a nasty surprise on your next visit: visas are $25.
Thought they were trying to get tourists back!

The visa on arrival is a revenue earner, but not a joke.
Fair point.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:53 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others

You can pay Ł20 and get 10 Egyptian pounds change
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
a little OT mini rant

The sense of entitlement of some travelers who are privileged to hold Western passports never ceases to astound me. Many a third-world citizen would give their left nut to be able to pick up a visa on their way in, on the fly at the airport upon arrival, $25 or not.

An Egyptian citizen, wishing to visit the UK, has to apply for a visa prior to travel. The process is, to say the least, a hassle, sometimes bordering on the humiliating. Amongst other things, they hold your passport hostage for about three weeks while they make up their minds, effectively paralyzing you from being able to undertake any other trips, for business or otherwise, urgent or not, in the interim. And at the end of the day, you pay Ł87 for the privilege.

On another note, I have known of Indian citizens, for example, landing up being locked up in a room for the night at European transit airports (for example, CDG with AF) on their way from the States back home during IRROPS. Their privileged Western co-travelers, meanwhile, just sail through passport control on their way to their airline-supplied hotel accommodation.

As a US citizen, I find myself perversely happy to get hassled by, for instance, the Brazilians, whenever I am travelling there, having to pre-apply for a visa, for which they charge me $100 or $120 "reciprocity fee". Given the aggravation the US puts their citizens wishing to visit the US through, it is the least a self-respecting nation can do.

While it may not be wise for Egypt to insist on having UK citizens pre-apply for visas, given that it is trying to encourage tourism, it would surely be entirely fair at the very least to charge such citizens Ł87 reciprocity fees (plus an extra "convenience fee" on top? ) for the visas they pick up at CAI on arrival, let alone $25.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Quite what posts #13-24 (with a few notable exceptions) have to do with the thread title is beyond me.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:52 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Turkey used to have a very similar service to the one current in Egypt. But Turkey has moved on to offer the alternative of E-visas, for many nationalities valid for multiple entries over six months. Here's I voice very faint hope that Egppt will one day move in the same direction....
A bit OT, but the first time I visited Turkey 24 years ago, the visa process was chucking a tenner (Bank of England only), into a cardboard box before reaching the Immigration counter.

S
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by polemi
Does anyone know if the opening of T2 will make it any easier to transit (airside) between T3 and T2 without a visa? I make the transit from T3 to T1 fairly regularly and it is tedious with all the waiting etc.
T2 is directly adjacent to T3 - the APM station for T3/T2 is actually inside T2 - so I'd expect the T2-T3 transit should be trivial compared to T1-T3 (which are ~2km apart).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by husseinbadr
it would surely be entirely fair at the very least to charge such citizens Ł87 reciprocity fees (plus an extra "convenience fee" on top? ) for the visas they pick up at CAI on arrival, let alone $25.
Probably wouldn't be very fair on the workers in the Egyptian tourism industry.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold
The discussion on visas is quite far away from the thread topic. But it's worth pointing out few tourists buy the 25USD visas - most nationalities visiting the main tourist areas around the Red Sea get a free stamp on entry (only valid for that area).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itfcfan
The discussion on visas is quite far away from the thread topic.
Welcome to the BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.