Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
It was a joint decision, the availability itself has to be restricted by CX.
Thank you for the answer. I really hope it is at least possible to make the booking via the phone so that those who need seats can get it for themselves.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Also why only TPE and WUH (possibly other places) that are blocked?

Is there a list of cities that are blocked, or would it just encourage people to try other places?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I was counting on last minute CX redemptions when I am in Asia in November, but cannot confirm which flights/dates I need to be flying until a few days before the flights.

Is this going on on all/many CX routes or just the TPE one? Any way around this?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Is this going on on all/many CX routes or just the TPE one?
CX/KA to/from Taiwan and Mainland China only. Even Hanoi 4,500 Avios close in is OK for now.

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Any way around this?
Use other OW programs' miles (AM/AAdvantage/JMB/QF FF)
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
I'm very unhappy with this decision. I credit and collect BA avios for the sole purpose of redeeming for HKG-TPE but yet haven't been able to use it for a while. No clarification has ever been offered until this thread.

While I'd blame the fraudulent activity basically came from BA's own mistake of getting hacked - I agree with one of the previous poster that if you can somehow enable it via phone booking so that we can prove our identity, it's at least a stopgap to whatever BA is trying accomplish.

Dear BA, if you are reading this, can you at least enable the redemption via phone? At least I can provide you with my personal information, and the 'hackers ' are very less likely to actually call to make a redemption.

Thank you.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by jazzmailman
I'm very unhappy with this decision. I credit and collect BA avios for the sole purpose of redeeming for HKG-TPE but yet haven't been able to use it for a while. No clarification has ever been offered until this thread.

While I'd blame the fraudulent activity basically came from BA's own mistake of getting hacked - I agree with one of the previous poster that if you can somehow enable it via phone booking so that we can prove our identity, it's at least a stopgap to whatever BA is trying accomplish.

Dear BA, if you are reading this, can you at least enable the redemption via phone? At least I can provide you with my personal information, and the 'hackers ' are very less likely to actually call to make a redemption.

Thank you.
I agree, it seems BA needs to put a procedure in place to prevent fraud on CX redemptions (phone or similar seem like a good idea) and to solve this long-term - eg better account security(the password one-step sign-in is a joke, when you think one may have millions of avios waiting to be stolen...)
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
bumping this thread so others can chime in on their experience.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Hi,

Does anyone know what the current blockage is for PVG-HKG flights? A few days ago it seemed to be 4 days, but now is extended to 7 days. Will this 7 day remain, or will it be extended / decreased again?

It seems ridiculous for BA to do this without warning (or notice).

Is this issue resolvable by calling and giving some documentation that you're not engaging in fraudulent activity?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Bump...does anyone know the answer to this?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: KA "The Elite"
Originally Posted by jazzmailman

Thank you.
Same same here!
The whole point of EC is being able to redeem on shorthaul with CX. Last year, BA even promoted EC as a cheap way to get intra Asia flights....
They better find a way to make their accounts more secure, this lack of safety, and limiting last minute redemptions does not encourage people to earn miles with EC.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by longliveKA
Same same here!
The whole point of EC is being able to redeem on shorthaul with CX. Last year, BA even promoted EC as a cheap way to get intra Asia flights....
They better find a way to make their accounts more secure, this lack of safety, and limiting last minute redemptions does not encourage people to earn miles with EC.
To keep things in perspective, BAEC is only blocking close-in. I just redeemed HGH for mid-Autumn.

Not really sure I'm gonna fly it, but the cancellation policy is more friendly than AM so I thought book it as if an option and treat the YQ as a cancellation premium.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought it was only online that was blocked for close in bookings? Can't you still call to book?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: KA "The Elite"
Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought it was only online that was blocked for close in bookings? Can't you still call to book?
Nope. Inventory is the same. I tried...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

BA is now showing flights for 11/07/2015 between HKG/TPE. Nothing before that.

Can someone please check AM to see if there are seats before the 11th?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by cysyuen
BA is now showing flights for 11/07/2015 between HKG/TPE. Nothing before that.

Can someone please check AM to see if there are seats before the 11th?

Only waitlist available until 11th July, I believe that there is a large number canceled on the 8th and 9th due to the Typhoon about to hit Tiawan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.