Wiki Posts
Search

The 3 hour check in rule

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
The 3 hour check in rule

Just wondered how strictly this enforced?

On an upcoming trip I am travelling with non status PAX. We are in Club and they are in WTP.

As Silver, we shall guest them into the lounge but due to being in London on the day of departure, we will likely be wanting to check bags about 4-5 hours before.

Is this likely to be an issue?
Old May 28, 2016, 5:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At T3 and T5, there is a rule that you cannot check in until 3 hours before, or even less if leaving first thing in the morning, check-in opens at 05:00 hrs. This is waived for Sapphire and above, and Club / First passengers, who can check in at any time on the calendar day of departure.

For non status passengers it is strictly enforced. At the back of the check in area at T5 you will see a single line of seating and many passengers sitting there. These people will generally be waiting until T-3. If you are checking in with your guests then I guess they may over-ride the time limit, but I don't think you can assume it will happen.

If HBO then there's no time limit.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Unless you are into people watching at airports, I can't imagine a good reason to get to an airport 5 hours before a flight. No lounge is that interesting. At LHR you can usually check in this early with status (many outstations won't have anyone near the rented BA gates at T-180minutes). Two hours is plenty, but to each their own.

Edit: note that each Silver can only guest in one person, so I'll assume you are both thus enabled!
Old May 28, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Sometimes there's not much else to do than go to the airport. For example if one has the late flight from an airport outside the main city and is oneself working at more distant place, it may be a choice of staying in a boring remote location or travelling to the airport and waiting in a slightly less boring airport. Or transport may force an early arrival.

For example I get this often at SFO. From where I have business in the back end of Silicon Valley to SFO for the afternoon flight, I can either stay in somewhere extremely boring like a hotel lobby in Santa Clara after checking out, or go to SFO to check in and wait there. It's not really feasible to do anything else (and HBO is not usually an option in this case for me).

I agree seeking out a long stay at an airport is a minority preference.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:33 am

Definitely they enforce the rule! I got to the airport 3 hours and 20 minutes early and still had to wait the 20 minutes (joys of getting a 3 hour bus journey to the airport).
Old May 28, 2016, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Yes, we are both silver.

Is there a technicality here that would work for me? Am I right in thinking that it's only bag drop that does not open to them before T-3 ?

If this is the case and I check their bag on my ticket (I won't use my allowance) and as they will already have their boarding pass, they can simply go straight to security.

Or will security not let them pass more than 3 hours before?
Old May 28, 2016, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Yes, we are both silver.

Is there a technicality here that would work for me? Am I right in thinking that it's only bag drop that does not open to them before T-3 ?
Well that's why I mentioned it, hoping you would take the subtle hint! Never mind, cat out the bag. The point that now has to be made quite heavily is that when you hand over the baggage you need to be able to truthfully say that you packed it yourself and haven't been given anything to check in onboard. If your friends are nearby, checking in at the same time, and are able to give the required answer then I guess that will be fine. It's just check-in that is under this time limit, many locations don't allow baggage check-in until 90 minutes before departure even for status travellers, and one advantage of HBO travel is that you are free of this constraint.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well that's why I mentioned it, hoping you would take the subtle hint! Never mind, cat out the bag. The point that now has to be made quite heavily is that when you hand over the baggage you need to be able to truthfully say that you packed it yourself and haven't been given anything to check in onboard. If your friends are nearby, checking in at the same time, and are able to give the required answer then I guess that will be fine. It's just check-in that is under this time limit, many locations don't allow baggage check-in until 90 minutes before departure even for status travellers, and one advantage of HBO travel is that you are free of this constraint.
On a side note, I was just thinking the other day that I can't remember the last time I was asked those questions. I thought they'd dropped it, since everyone always answers yes anyway (didn't seem worth explaining that the missus usually packed for me as she's much neater at it - didn't matter if it creased on the way back since it was generally dirty washing anyway).
Old May 28, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by andrelux
On a side note, I was just thinking the other day that I can't remember the last time I was asked those questions. I thought they'd dropped it, since everyone always answers yes anyway (didn't seem worth explaining that the missus usually packed for me as she's much neater at it - didn't matter if it creased on the way back since it was generally dirty washing anyway).
As I was scrolling down readin C-W-S reply I was thinking exactly the same thing. Can't remember the last time I was asked on any airline, let alone BA
Old May 28, 2016, 9:18 am

I nearly always answer "yes" even though my wife packs for me or chaos ensues.The only time I said no was when I checked a completely empty bag,and a supervisor was needed to see if I was allowed to check an empty bag that nobody had packed.

If your friends are travelling on the same flight as you checking in their bags will get you to the lounge earlier.It may not be the letter of the law but it is in the spirit.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation and feeling s bit daft for being so slow on the uptake!
Old May 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Indeed, no point at 'hinting' at things rather than just saying it on the internet, as it rarely helps the person you're trying to help.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
At T3 and T5, there is a rule that you cannot check in until 3 hours before, or even less if leaving first thing in the morning, check-in opens at 05:00 hrs. This is waived for Sapphire and above, and Club / First passengers, who can check in at any time on the calendar day of departure.
The things you can learn on FT.

I didn't even know there was such a rule. Except, obviously, at outstations where the check-in staff doesn't arrive before T-3 of a BA flight departing.

Last edited by Maluku_Flyer; May 28, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old May 28, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Unless you are into people watching at airports, I can't imagine a good reason to get to an airport 5 hours before a flight.
I've often arrived at airports many hours before my connecting flight. Either because I built in an extra buffer due to arriving on an unreliable feeder (see my sig). Or because there was simply no alternative to arriving early on a feeder flight.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
What airports don't open check in until 90 minutes prior except maybe some very small out stations or very early in the morning? I've never seen anything under 120 minutes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.