Ticket Change and Exchange Rate Movements

Old May 24, 2016, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Ticket Change and Exchange Rate Movements

I called BA around 6 weeks ago to change a ticket from Y to J. The fare difference was around £1,400 and the change fee £144.

At the time of the call, the exchange rate to the Australian Dollar was around 1.86. I considered this a fairly attractive exchange rate so gave my AUD card details instead of my GBP card details.

BA have only just charged my card, around 5 weeks later, and the exchange rate is now materially different at 2.03. This has resulted in the changes costing, for the two of us, $524.96 more than at the time I called and provided my card details.

Not wanting to get into a debate about exchange rate risk and the lag between authorising the amount and providing card details vs. the money actually being taken, what is BA's likely response if I ask them to reverse off my AUD card and charge to a GBP version?

I've flown the outbound but not the inbound. The original itinerary was updated on the 15th April, and card charged 20th May.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Not wanting to get into a debate about exchange rate risk and the lag between authorising the amount and providing card details vs. the money actually being taken, what is BA's likely response if I ask them to reverse off my AUD card and charge to a GBP version?.
Very unlikely I would expect.

With FX rates - you win some, you lose some.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Agree to very unlikely. Also bear in mind that if they did agree to it, it would probably take even longer, and the rates will have changed again. The refund given in GBP might not cover the initial charge in AUD...
Old May 25, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You should ask them to quote you in the currency of the card if you want to avoid this. Otherwise it's sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If the exchange rate went for 2 to 1.86 I doubt you would be asking for the change

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.