Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:28 am

The biggest beef I have with this change is that it's been brought in by stealth.

A very common practice across major airlines has just been withdrawn by BA without notice.

I would expect people to still get caught out on this in a year or two from now.

I found someone on Twitter the other day who's claiming she bought a BA ticket to 'connect' with her QF flight because she thought oneworld practice would cover her baggage getting checked through. She was quite surprised to find otherwise.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Fair enough and you are of course correct.

But there is always some chance of arrangements changing, whether within or outside of your control. That chance might vary, but its always greater than zero!

Which leaves the custom and practice piece. People do get annoyed when something is taken away for nothing in return. And that is happening rather a lot as BA hurtles down the LoCo/unbundling slide where every task/process is a transaction.

The more complex and nuanced a pricing model gets, the more opportunities exist to arbitrage it. That is unavoidable. You could take the view that all is fair in love and war, and if people are trying to play BA at their own game they get what they deserve, but there will always be collateral damage to those who weren't trying to game the system, and even for those that were, they have build up a long experience of how they expect to be treated by BA and any change to this is a rude awakening.

All I hope is that it finally puts to bed the inherent anti-Ryanair snobbishness that used to be endemic around here. They are pretty much two peas in a pod at the minute (although Ryanair do manage to get places on time more frequently).
I love that Ryanair trumpet.

I agree the 'custom and practice' issue is a difficult one, but then again eventually everything changes somehow.

But I think the real point is if you took out those deliberately trying to 'game the system' as you put it, the numbers involved are actually miniscule. Presumably BA would consider that as acceptable collateral damage in the quest to crack down on ex-EU type activity.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Just checked in at GLA. Asked about new interlining policy and apparently they've made a change and now allow BA-BA. Didn't help me today as I'm connecting to AY.. At least I don't have to take the T5-T3 bus
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by raaq
Just checked in at GLA. Asked about new interlining policy and apparently they've made a change and now allow BA-BA. Didn't help me today as I'm connecting to AY.. At least I don't have to take the T5-T3 bus
Excellent news - the team in GLA are usually up-to-speed with policy developments (it used to be my home airport, maybe I have some rose tinted specs ), so this is a promising development ^

Welcome to FT raaq - I'm sure one of our esteemed Ambassadors will be along soon to extend the welcome also. Edit - I see you joined some time ago, but this is your first post, so welcome from the shadows.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If people are booking 2 separate tickets to get the benefits of separate tickets , why should be also give them the benefits afforded to those prepared to pay for a through ticket?
Especially when it works out cheaper which lets face it is the usual reason....it is for me.

Anyway...I was always under the impression there was no guarantee of having bags through checked on separate tickets unless both sectors were on BA. Similarly when flying IB-IB on separate tickets I always make sure there is enough connection time at MAD to collect and re-check them in if I have to although I've not been refused through checked bags yet.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Especially when it works out cheaper which lets face it is the usual reason....it is for me.

Anyway...I was always under the impression there was no guarantee of having bags through checked on separate tickets unless both sectors were on BA. Similarly when flying IB-IB on separate tickets I always make sure there is enough connection time at MAD to collect and re-check them in if I have to although I've not been refused through checked bags yet.
To be fair the policy previously was that BA would check through on to a separate ticket as long as the other flight was BA or other oneworld carrier - this was explicitly stated on ba.com.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair the policy previously was that BA would check through on to a separate ticket as long as the other flight was BA or other oneworld carrier - this was explicitly stated on ba.com.
Never knew that. ^
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:51 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Excellent news - the team in GLA are usually up-to-speed with policy developments (it used to be my home airport, maybe I have some rose tinted specs ), so this is a promising development ^

Welcome to FT raaq - I'm sure one of our esteemed Ambassadors will be along soon to extend the welcome also. Edit - I see you joined some time ago, but this is your first post, so welcome from the shadows.
I'm pleased to say that raaq has had an impromptu welcome to FT from a random bloke next to him on his flight.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Asked about new interlining policy and apparently they've made a change and now allow BA-BA.
It's lovely when a newcomer can bring such good news with their first post. Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Clearly for many people throwing away the original flight (unless fully changeable) and rebooking at a multiple of the cost from the new departure/end point isn't practical.
It doesn't have to be fully changeable, just ensure that if may want to make changes purchase one that will permit changes. Can then change dates/times/destination subject to paying the fare

Buying a non changeable/non refundable ticket when plans may change and then buying another ticket can still be done, just will be treated as exactly what it is - a separate unrelated journey
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk raaq, welcome to the BA forum, and indeed that's very good news. Without in any way doubting your contribution, it would be really good if a few other baggage checkers can ask about this important point, I shall use my sources to find out more too. Thanks for passing that on.

I'm not overly surprised that they modified this, indeed I said so upthread, whatever the FLY issues are with unrelated PNRs, BA to BA is readily connectable, so long as the passenger has the second PNR handy.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
I am thankful for all the updates in this thread. I booked 5 IAD-LHR-IAD cash tickets on BA in J for August last year for the family. We decided we wanted to add a side trip to Rome so I booked separate tickets LHR-FCO return. We fly from FCO on the same day as our LHR-IAD departure and currently have an hour and 45 min connection at LHR. Flights arrive and depart from terminal 3 so I wasn't initially worried about making the connection (assuming our bags could get checked through which was policy at the time of booking).

I've been monitoring this thread hoping the policy would get changed to allow for BA-BA interlining. Otherwise, it's going to cost me about $400 to change flights to the night before along with hotel rooms.

I am assuming it would be crazy to actually try and collect bags and recheck with only 1:45 at LHR if this becomes necessary?

Again, many thanks for all the updates and data points!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have had it confirmed via direct sources that BA to BA checked baggage transfers, on 2 PNRs (and indeed 1 PNR) are now being allowed.

A few caveats:

- this has only just been decided, some locations will not be aware of it.

- it is theoretically at Airport Manager discretion (Airport Manager is the current job title for station managers, typically the only BA employed ground staff employee).

- the relevant online guidance within FLY has already been amended to reflect this.

- the note I saw suggested it wasn't necessarily a permanent move, but I may be reading too much into the choice of wording.

- I doubt that this can apply from BA metal to BA codeshare baggage transfers; it may well apply on BA codeshare to BA metal, but would depend on the operating carrier / airport.

- as with all BA flights involving 2 PNRs, you cannot assume that flights are protected. If you miss the second flight due to the first being late, even if BA was at fault, you cannot assume that you will be rebooked. However unofficially BA may well assist at the airport (not via the Contact Centres). You will not get EC261 Right of Care benefits either. This aspect has not changed recently.

I have got a list of places where this policy has already been implemented, which includes a number of key airports, but that list does not yet include the two big ones, LGW and LHR - purely due to lack of data. It is definitely being allowed through these airports starting from elsewhere (and works physically), I'm referring here to bags that start their trips at these 2 hubs. It would be good if anyone checking in at these airports can double check via casual conversations. My guess is that LGW would have no problem implementing this, and LHR's difficulty will only be due to the pace of training.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 8, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Most welcome news raaq and c-w-s. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 8, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:09 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have had it confirmed via direct sources that BA to BA checked baggage transfers, on 2 PNRs (and indeed 1 PNR) are now being allowed.

A few caveats:

- this has only just been decided, some locations will not be aware of it.

- it is theoretically at Airport Manager discretion (Airport Manager is the current job title for station managers, typically the only BA employed ground staff employee).

- the relevant online guidance within FLY has already been amended to reflect this.

- the note I saw suggested it wasn't necessarily a permanent move, but I may be reading too much into the choice of wording.

- I doubt that this can apply from BA metal to BA codeshare baggage transfers; it may well apply on BA codeshare to BA metal, but would depend on the operating carrier / airport.

- as with all BA flights involving 2 PNRs, you cannot assume that flights are protected. If you miss the second flight due to the first being late, even if BA was at fault, you cannot assume that you will be rebooked. However unofficially BA may well assist at the airport (not via the Contact Centres). You will not get EC261 Right of Care benefits either. This aspect has not changed recently.

I have got a list of places where this policy has already been implemented, which includes a number of key airports, but that list does not yet include the two big ones, LGW and LHR - purely due to lack of data. It is definitely being allowed through these airports starting from elsewhere (and works physically), I'm referring here to bags that start their trips at these 2 hubs. It would be good if anyone checking in at these airports can double check via casual conversations. My guess is that LGW would have no problem implementing this, and LHR's difficulty will only be due to the pace of training.
Thanks for this, it is truly great news and a genuine enhancement of an "enhancement".

I will be checking luggage in next Wednesday originating LHR, will try to bring it up as a hypothetical.

I'm curious though, under what circumstances would luggage originate in LHR for two BA-BA trips on one PNR? The only situations I can envision are:

1. Back to back/turnarounds or LHR-xxx-LGW/LCY to get around minimum stay requirements
2. Second PNR for a tag flight [e.g., Caribbean routes]
3. ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.