Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 1:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/rese...paratetickets/
Passengers holding separate tickets and how their baggage is being accepted, depending on the separate ticket type:
BA to oneworld member (i.e. oneworld carriers prefix, oneworld carriers paper and codeshare partners: Passengers and bags can be through-checked providing MCT (minimum connection times) are adhered to.
Going by the guidelines above, if the LHR-ARN was booked on the BA776, BA774, or BA778 then through checking should have been possible.

That said, it is possible recent changes (if true) have not been captured by the speedbirdclub website.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Something for Twitter perhaps?

I find it difficult to believe on one level, but on another I don't think it makes much difference since if on separate tickets one would expect someone to book a fairly lengthy connection anyway, it's just a hassle factor, but at least reduces the risk of bags not being transferred over.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Was OP travelling on two different tickets? Post #1 makes it sound like he didn't.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simonspear
I would not necessarily believe this is a policy change when the staff training appears so woeful.
I would think that this is the most likely explanation. Baggage interlining is part of the OW agreement and it would be pretty big news if BA wouldn't do it for another airline that they clearly have close commercial ties with.

The thread title probably needs a "?" in it ... one agents cluelessness does not confirm a policy change.

Originally Posted by linz36
Was OP travelling on two different tickets? Post #1 makes it sound like he didn't.
As long as the connection was safe from a MCT point of view then it doesn't matter if he was on two tickets so long as they are both OW.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
Similar issue last week checking in at F for CE LHR-OSL, then OSL-DOH-SIN-SYD. Agent was adamant this was 'absolutely impossible' because they were on separate PNRs - and in addition "had never seen this done before"!

"Don't worry, I have. Lots. Would you mind calling your supervisor?"

After much harrumphing it got done. I checked at each leg the bag was in the system and all was fine until SIN where I was joining BA15 (all on one QR-issued ticket). "Computer says no..." They located it in the system and did whatever they do to check it through to SYD but all most odd.

On Friday I'm doing the reverse routing but QF on the SIN-SYD leg. I have a 55min connection at OSL and was considering not checking a bag but might give it a go just to see if I can!

All very odd indeed...
Old May 22, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
I hope that this was just a staffing "issue" rather than a change in policy. I can, however, understand why BA wouldn't want to facilitate pax flying longhual on QR.

Originally Posted by pjh981
However, when I arrived in BKK neither of my two bags had been forwarded from LHR. QR ground staff raised a case reference for missing bags. BA had already telexed BKK to inform them that one bag had never left LHR, the other has been sent to ARN!. QR staff initiated action to forward both bags to BKK.
Did you check with the QR staff in ARN that they had your bag tags in their system? Very odd that one bag didn't even leave LHR (not so strange that one stayed in ARN). Did you double check the details that were entered on the bag tag? Every detail correct? I had an agent in Krabi working for Bangkok Air who "helpfully" tagged by bag through to LRH. Lucky I spotted it, and corrected it to LHR. When manually tagging a bag, it's very easy to make a mistake.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by shefgab
I hope that this was just a staffing "issue" rather than a change in policy. I can, however, understand why BA wouldn't want to facilitate pax flying longhual on QR.

Did you check with the QR staff in ARN that they had your bag tags in their system? Very odd that one bag didn't even leave LHR (not so strange that one stayed in ARN). Did you double check the details that were entered on the bag tag? Every detail correct? I had an agent in Krabi working for Bangkok Air who "helpfully" tagged by bag through to LRH. Lucky I spotted it, and corrected it to LHR. When manually tagging a bag, it's very easy to make a mistake.
Yes, I did check with QR in ARN and they confirmed that neither bag had been forwarded from LHR. At that point I knew things were going wrong but there was nothing I could do as I had already boarded the QR flight. I had checked in at Heathrow over 3 hours before BA flight departed but the most recent update I have from QR is that BA are not cooperating with their requests for information on lost baggage lending weight to LHR staff claim that interline agreement has been cancelled.

Last edited by Prospero; May 22, 2016 at 4:15 pm Reason: Marry two posts: quote with reply
Old May 22, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
Similar issue last week checking in at F for CE LHR-OSL, then OSL-DOH-SIN-SYD. Agent was adamant this was 'absolutely impossible' because they were on separate PNRs - and in addition "had never seen this done before"!

"Don't worry, I have. Lots. Would you mind calling your supervisor?"

After much harrumphing it got done. I checked at each leg the bag was in the system and all was fine until SIN where I was joining BA15 (all on one QR-issued ticket). "Computer says no..." They located it in the system and did whatever they do to check it through to SYD but all most odd.

On Friday I'm doing the reverse routing but QF on the SIN-SYD leg. I have a 55min connection at OSL and was considering not checking a bag but might give it a go just to see if I can!

All very odd indeed...
That's almost identical to the route I did on 5th/6th May (minus the Syd leg). I had a suitcase and a BBQ in a box (story for another time) and the agent (and her supervisor who had joined her!) after a lot of aggro about the BBQ, was happy to through check both to SIN after I explained QR were in the same alliance.

Unfortunately it turns out she'd just entered the Osl-Doh leg flight number but had labelled it "SIN" so the luggage got stuck in Oslo. But QR service recovery got me 100SGD and both items delivered to my hotel the next day...far easier and cheaper than trying to get both in a taxi!

Maybe I'm the reason they may have decided interlining is more trouble than it's worth?
Old May 22, 2016, 3:59 pm

This is all very odd. Hopefully it's nothing at all, but if there is indeed a policy change I would absolutely expect an announcement on speedbirdclub asap.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by pjh981
Yes, I did check with QR in ARN and they confirmed that neither bag had been forwarded from LHR. At that point I knew things were going wrong but there was nothing I could do as I had already boarded the QR flight. I had checked in at Heathrow over 3 hours before BA flight departed but the most recent update I have from QR is that BA are not cooperating with their requests for information on lost baggage lending weight to LHR staff claim that interline agreement has been cancelled.
Well whether or not they have an agreement or what the policy says if they accepted your bag and you have a baggage receipt it should be in the system and proceed like any other mishandled bag claim.

Weirdly there was a thread this morning about someone going (all BA) TXL-LHR-LAX on separate tickets and agent wouldn't check the bag through to LAX.

Could this have anything to do with FLY and agents just not knowing how to do it?
Old May 22, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Ok, interesting.

I was told last week that ALL OW airlines will refuse to interline on separate PNRs from 1st June.

The only reason I have not covered this on HFP is that I cannot prove it.
I also heard the same thing from a lounge agent. The only exceptions being those in the transatlantic agreement (AA, Finnair and IB). Maybe it's worth a post on HFP just to see if it gets attention from BA.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You could be right, if this is a BA policy change. It might actually be a QR policy change aimed at those who choose to pay much lower fares by travelling exEU to avoid their much higher UK fares.
While it may indeed well be a QR policy change (although more likely to be part of the sad broader development that Raffles is mentioning), I'm pretty sure that it would have nothing to do with UK vs ex-EU! With QR, UK is by no means the most expensive point of origin in J and indeed, when it comes to promotional rates, when you take away the APD which QR would not be keeping anyway, ex-UK is one of the origins that would have QR keep one of the lowest fares of its various European departure points.

That said, interlining is indeed mostly bad for the last airline in an itinerary as they are the ones dealing with misconnects, which is expensive. They can of course try and charge back the first airline if the first airline was the obvious cause of the misconnect but such clear cut cases would be extremely rare and I doubt that airlines bother with the whole charge back game in practice.

As others have pointed out, if the policy is confirmed, it will clearly be a pain in the back.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I posted this on the QR forum yesterday, no response there though.

I have a return LHR-DOH on BA, however the requirement for me to goto Dubai has come up the day before my DOH-LHR flight. It is a F ticket and was too expensive to change to fly back from DXB, therefore I have booked a seperate QR DOH-DWC return, leaving myself 3.5 hours connection in DOH.

My question is, has anyone had experience of conecting from QR to another Oneworld carrier in DOH on seperate tickets? I will have a checked bag and would really like to not have to pick it up in DOH (and go through immigration for that matter - although i am on a Dubai Shuttle fare). This is a Oneworld benefit, but I have read instances of QR not following this and making people pick their bags up and re-checkin, this information was from 2013 however, so don't know if they have changed their policies.

Obviously I will tell the check-in agent about my DOH-LHR ticket when I go to drop my bag in DWC.

I really hope they check my bag through, obviously will try and report back how it goes when it's the other way round QR - BA.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Something for Twitter perhaps?

I find it difficult to believe on one level, but on another I don't think it makes much difference since if on separate tickets one would expect someone to book a fairly lengthy connection anyway, it's just a hassle factor, but at least reduces the risk of bags not being transferred over.
As someone who often travels with commercial goods that have very different customs rules it can be absolutely crucial to be able to through check luggage.

Making transit declarations in certain countries is very time consuming and difficult - may even require a broker.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I posted this on the QR forum yesterday, no response there though.

I have a return LHR-DOH on BA, however the requirement for me to goto Dubai has come up the day before my DOH-LHR flight. It is a F ticket and was too expensive to change to fly back from DXB, therefore I have booked a seperate QR DOH-DWC return, leaving myself 3.5 hours connection in DOH.

My question is, has anyone had experience of conecting from QR to another Oneworld carrier in DOH on seperate tickets? I will have a checked bag and would really like to not have to pick it up in DOH (and go through immigration for that matter - although i am on a Dubai Shuttle fare). This is a Oneworld benefit, but I have read instances of QR not following this and making people pick their bags up and re-checkin, this information was from 2013 however, so don't know if they have changed their policies.

Obviously I will tell the check-in agent about my DOH-LHR ticket when I go to drop my bag in DWC.

I really hope they check my bag through, obviously will try and report back how it goes when it's the other way round QR - BA.
I've never done it at DWC but I think you'll be ok if the ground staff know how to do it, as they are normally pretty obliging there. They 'overlooked' about 30KG of excess luggage before when I was relocating back to the UK! However, my understanding is that officially QR won't check through all the way on separate tickets, but there's nothing to physically stop the agent from doing it and they are contract staff in DWC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.