Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (Ł15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Has anyone who has had LHR not interline between different pnrs complained to BA about this? I would be interested in their reply.

I thought it was a clear "entitlement" that this was possible between one world carriers?
Yes I complained. Followed up three times with no response. Black hole.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Positive report from me.....while not initally on BA metal..SIN-DOH-OSL on QR metal and different PNR and in shabby BA A321 Y class, OSL-LHR done by lovely chap at SIN....with rather nice QR first class tags, bags all arrive at LHR without issue.

Last edited by nivsy; Jun 1, 2016 at 5:11 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Ek Blue, BAEC Bronze, SQ Silver, HH Gold
Just to add my experience today, Lady at club world check in desks at heathrow has checked my suitcase all the way through to bangkok via copenhagen on ba in economy and then on qatar via doha in business without any issues, so I'm guessing it depends on who does your check in, guess we'll see if it gets there or not
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by binman
The entry to interline/transfer bags on separate PNRs is a manual entry. The systems will only automatically route them if it is a through tickets and single PNR.

Learning three letter codes was lesson 1 in the days when staff were trained and encouraged to take a interest ( and pride) in the job they were doing.
Not anymore (assuming it is a station already switched over to Altea DCS)!

In fact, it is very easy (as a CX agent in HKG who also uses Altea DCS showed me).

During the check-in process, he first tried the "Find Connections" function key and when that didn't work, he used the "Modify Itinerary" function key and was able to type in the next segment and out came the baggage tag.

For those who do baggage through check-in on separate itineraries, always insist on having a look at the baggage label before they put it on to ensure all the flights match your itinerary. For baggage labels, you read "up" with the last flight at the top.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
For those who do baggage through check-in on separate itineraries, always insist on having a look at the baggage label before they put it on to ensure all the flights match your itinerary. For baggage labels, you read "up" with the last flight at the top.
This is good practise whenever you check a bag! (Or at least try to sneak a glance at it before it goes off into the bowels of the airport.)
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
On Friday I tried to get the BA agent in LCY to through check my bag into another BA flight in BLL (well another Sunair flight) on a different booking. She was able to print the boarding pass, but the bag tag never came. She seemed to try, but her attitude was definitley "I don't know what i'm doing, and I am going to fail". Her colleague offered a weird excuse that some bookings "can't be combined". They were both BA Avios flights.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:27 pm

LCY have failed to interline when I've tried...

Really completely hopeless, staff training at BA seems very lax.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal

Oh fudge...

I've got a LCY-AMS connecting to CX and then to KA in the morning... I've less than 2.5 hours at AMS.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Raffles
Ok, interesting.

I was told last week that ALL OW airlines will refuse to interline on separate PNRs from 1st June.

The only reason I have not covered this on HFP is that I cannot prove it.
A poster on the CX forum who seems to have some kind of insider knowledge has said the same:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post26731231

But there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it except for multiple people on FT saying it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not an LCY restriction, I've had bags through-checked on AZ out of LCY.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
This is not an LCY restriction, I've had bags through-checked on AZ out of LCY.
Indeed not a LCY specific restriction, but more BA incompetence.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Indeed not a LCY specific restriction, but more BA incompetence.
Or perhaps BA decided not to include the more advanced features of Altea DCS (BA uses a customised version called "FLY") in their training as they feel that only a small percentage of customers would actually request to have bags check through to flights on separate itineraries?

Or maybe when BA decided not to include certain functions in "FLY" that would normally be available under the Altea DCS menus (or make the more advanced functions hidden in a series of menus).

For those who mention a June 1st "policy change", perhaps this coincides with BA almost switching 100% to FLY?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ok, this is what I understand.

It seems correct that, as of 1st June, oneworld airlines do not need to interline bags or even check you in for connecting flights on separate tickets. Not surprisingly you will not find any announcements or press releases.

At present, BA is not implementing this but it is a goodwill gesture only.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

It seems correct that, as of 1st June, oneworld airlines do not need to interline bags or even check you in for connecting flights on separate tickets. Not surprisingly you will not find any announcements or press releases.

At present, BA is not implementing this but it is a goodwill gesture only.
So the interline details that travel agents see haven't been updated? This is as per Expertflyer:

Code:
 MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AB  AC  AE  AF  AH  AI  AS  AT  AV  AY  AZ  A3  A9  
       BA  BD  BE  BI  BL  BM  BP  BR  BT  BW  B6  CA  CI  CM  
       CO  CX  CZ  DL  DT  EC  EI  EK  ET  EY  FB  FI  FJ  FV  
       GA  GF  GK  G3  HA  HG  HM  HP  HU  HX  IB  IC  IG  JC  
       JJ  JL  JP  JQ  JU  JY  J2  KA  KC  KE  KK  KL  KM  KP  
       KQ  KU  KX  LA  LG  LH  LI  LO  LP  LR  LX  LY  ME  MI  
       MK  MN  MS  MU  MX  NH  NU  NZ  OA  OK  OM  OS  OU  OZ  
       PG  PR  PS  PW  PX  PZ  QF  QI  QM  QR  RB  RO  SA  SB  
       SN  SQ  SU  SV  SW  S7  TA  TG  TK  TM  TN  TP  TU  T0  
       UA  UK  UP  US  UU  U0  U7  VN  VS  VY  WF  WM  WS  WY  
       XK  XL  XM  X5  3K  3U  4M  7H  9B  9W
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec

Stupid question from a not native English speaker. The part in bold means that from 1st June it's discretionary for OW members to interline bags... as
in "if they want they can do it", with no broken or bent rule in that case.

It doesn't mean that the new policy is to avoid interline as much as possible... right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.