Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA have stopped kosher meals for pre-dining in the US

BA have stopped kosher meals for pre-dining in the US

Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
This was a massive issue across all SPML requests on sleeper service... Mainly down the the very poor communication from the staff in the JFK lounges.

They would tell people the meal was catered on the plane, and then we would tell them it was catered in the lounge, and end up with no meal at all for them. Some, it was easier to manage than others, but lead to a whole host of pissed off passengers.

I complained about it multiple times, as I mainly work in club, I was sick to the back teeth of getting it in the neck for the lack of ability of the JFK lounge teams to sort it out. And the ACE would tell me, "I took them up to the lounge about 2 hours ago, so I know they are there...!"

Total shambles.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
"Hi Dan, British Airways made some changes to their catering recently for sleeper service flights and customers can book special meals in advance. These meals will now be served onboard where previously they were served in the lounge.

We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused with your readers."
Thanks very much for this, and this is what I thought the problem was. Namely that lounge service of SPML had stopped, which Newcastle BA were aware of, but Newcastle jumped to the wrong conclusion about what the meal service is on Sleeper services. Any other outcome would have been impossible to implement logistically, not least since First and CW Kosher boxes are the same, or at least certainly used to be.

So in summary if looking for a Kosher meal (or other special meal) on a Sleeper service, mark it accordingly on the flight's MMB line and expect to get it on board.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
They would tell people the meal was catered on the plane, and then we would tell them it was catered in the lounge, and end up with no meal at all for them. Some, it was easier to manage than others, but lead to a whole host of pissed off passengers.
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I reached out to my BA PR rep for an update on this.

"Hi Dan, British Airways made some changes to their catering recently for sleeper service flights and customers can book special meals in advance. These meals will now be served onboard where previously they were served in the lounge.

We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused with your readers."
So rather than fix the service delivery, they just removed the option to pre-dine for special meals.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Just returned from overseas and pleased to find that this thread has at last provided an answer to the points raised by my initial post though it did take a long time.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:36 am

Well, kind-of. Clearly there's been a mess-up and while the call centre people are saying that it's fine now, it would be good to hear from those that have seen it for themselves (passengers or crew), that all SPMLs are fully catered on sleeper services in CW.

Sorry if this is up-thread but presumably the JFK lounge doesn't serve any SPMLs at all now (other than vegetarian by logic of the choice available).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by m0hamed
..Even EK acknowledges not all pax will fast so they offer cold meals.
When I first read that, I felt compelled to tirade against the insult that EK 'acknowledges' the existence of 80% of the World's population. But of course that isn't the real story. The meal reduction happens only on a very small number of pilgrimage flights.

A working colleague of mine who does fly EK just returned happily reporting that they got full hot meals and copious amount of booze to shorten the trip.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Just to add a data point, flying on the 20:40 tonight, Jfk - > LHR, in F, informed in the CCR that kosher meals now need to be preordered by phone if you prefer to eat in the CCR.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bmj1
Just to add a data point, flying on the 20:40 tonight, Jfk - > LHR, in F, informed in the CCR that kosher meals now need to be preordered by phone if you prefer to eat in the CCR.
That is very interesting, as the most recent information I have is that no kosher meals will be available at all at any of the BA lounges in JFK, including the CCR, even if they are ordered in advance. If what you have been told is correct, then this is very good news to hear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.