Upgrade to first - worth the hassle?

Old May 5, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Upgrade to first - worth the hassle?

Hi,

I wanted to canvas some thoughts on this. I've just booked a return flight to USA on a mixed set of BA and AA flights, flying first class out and club world home.

I then looked at the BA website and found that I get a free upgrade to first as my return ticket is D class.

So I phoned the BA but unfortunately my return leg is on an AA flight number so the offer is ineligible. However I looked and I can book the entire itinerary for only 75 more using entirely BA flight codes.

Is it worth me cancelling and then re-booking so I can get the first class upgrade?

Thoughts?
Old May 5, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
F for 75 bite their arm off for it!
Old May 5, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
To qualify, I believe you would have to book a return flight in Club World, so your mix of AA and BA flights (assuming you mean AA metal) and the fact that one sector is already in First may preclude you from upgrading the inbound as part of this offer. I'll see if I can find the Ts & Cs and have a read through.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
To qualify, I believe you would have to book a return flight in Club World, so your mix of AA and BA flights (assuming you mean AA metal) and the fact that one sector is already in First may preclude you from upgrading the inbound as part of this offer. I'll see if I can find the Ts & Cs and have a read through.
Isn't OP saying they can rebook UK-USA return for 75 more quid on all BA metal rather than just the 1 leg.

They're considering cancelling which by extension means cancelling outbound ex-UK.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; May 5, 2016 at 4:54 pm Reason: Pressed wrong button
Old May 5, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL
There is also the fact that you will (presumably?) be sleeping for the majority of the overnight return flight. Maybe you will be eating the F meal...I don't eat on red-eyes, but others do, I suppose. Is it worth the 75 to you for a slightly better meal, less sleep (due to the slightly better meal), and some extra TPs?
Old May 5, 2016, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Actually, just for fun I'm taking a daytime flight from JFK to LHR, so I would benefit from the first experience rather than just sleep through it.

I don't think I get extra TPs because it is a 'free upgrade' so I'll get 140 not 210 TPs.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Actually, rather than cancel the whole thing, can I call BA and just change the offending flights to the BA flight number?
Old May 6, 2016, 1:04 am

As KARFA says, if you're already in F on the way out I don't think you'll be able to use this offer. Qualifying flights must be CW for both legs, one of which may then be upgraded. Sounds like that's what you have already, so no, I don't think it's worth it.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:18 am

OP, speak to someone at BA to double-check you can indeed do this as outlined, bearing in mind what others have said on this thread.

However, if you can, it is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt doing this for 75 more. Regardless of whether you take a day or night flight - even if just sleeping the F 'suite' is more spacious and comfortable for sleeping, and the mattress topper and quilt make a difference to sleep comfort too.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by RolandLondon
I don't think I get extra TPs because it is a 'free upgrade' so I'll get 140 not 210 TPs.
You get 210 TPs. The offer is basically giving you A class on one of the legs for the price of R/D/C/J
Old May 6, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Of course, especially ex-UK, A class fares are often cheaper than, yet as flexible as D class fares when there is a sale on (like now).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.