Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dropping last segment of an AA flight on a BA TP run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Howdy!

I have been around a while but read more than I post but I have to ask a question that I am stuck with.

I know about the ExEU thread running but this is different as its AA on a TP run for BA.

I booked an all USA TP Run for later this year and when I complete it I am going to be 80TP short of my final total.

As I need to take some positioning flights anyway to get me from the last stop on the TP run back to where I started in the USA I was going to take the positioning flights (2-3) in A/P class to generate the last TPs I need (This is a new multi city one way booking)

If I book the flight it prices at over £500 for the trip which makes it poor value for money, If I add a South American city to the end of the Itinary it drops considerably and is much more affordable. I can even take an overnight connection in the airport that I want to stop at. (I wont have any checked baggage also)

If I do this I get that AA will cancel the rest of the ticket but will I still get the TPs for the flights on the segments that I did take on this multi city booking or will they bin the lot?
Old May 5, 2016, 12:17 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
crmster, firstly welcome to FT. This is a marvellous resource, as one of the forum luminaries will be along to espouse shortly (paging c-w-s ...!), and I'm sure you'll learn a lot here.

Your TPs from the AA flights are extremely likely to post, particularly as it sounds like this may be the first time you've taken advantage of what's known as hidden city ticketing. However, it would be remiss of me not to point out that AA is among the more aggressive of the airlines for clamping down on this, so if they subsequently run an audit on your ticket, or the flight generally if it's a common route for doing this, it is possible that they will decide not to send the flight over to BA for credit. It really is down to your perception of risk on this one.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
crmster, firstly welcome to FT. This is a marvellous resource, as one of the forum luminaries will be along to espouse shortly (paging c-w-s ...!), and I'm sure you'll learn a lot here.

Your TPs from the AA flights are extremely likely to post, particularly as it sounds like this may be the first time you've taken advantage of what's known as hidden city ticketing. However, it would be remiss of me not to point out that AA is among the more aggressive of the airlines for clamping down on this, so if they subsequently run an audit on your ticket, or the flight generally if it's a common route for doing this, it is possible that they will decide not to send the flight over to BA for credit. It really is down to your perception of risk on this one.
Very good summary. I'd be surprised if op was penalised for a one off but AA forum makes for scary reading on that front at times, and if op needs the same next year and the year after and so on he may have more to lose than to gain.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings crmster, welcome from this forum luminary (low wattage) to Flyertalk and the BA Forum. It's great to see you here and I very much hope that you can continue to be active. It's only thanks to people like you that there is content for others to read.

I wouldn't do it. This is a known aspect of AA's fare structure, and though you may well get away with it, I would not advocate dropping any segments unless you have clear force majeure on your side (which sometimes does happen). AA is very much aware of this loophole and employs people to stop abuse.

Have a look at adding SJU or a Caribbean island to your trip instead. They are far easier to handle than places further south (I presume you are looking at Panama, Mexico or Columbia) and in the case of the Bahamas you can be in and out in just a few hours, Nassau is 30 minutes from Miami.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Isn't hidden city ticketing expressly forbidden in AA's terms and conditions? It has no mention in the BA world which makes it a grey area but over in AA land it is fairly clear.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and replies

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

This is definitely a one off. Flown american a few times on mixed tickets with BA but never on a 100% American Ticket.

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Isn't hidden city ticketing expressly forbidden in AA's terms and conditions? It has no mention in the BA world which makes it a grey area but over in AA land it is fairly clear.
Yeah I did see this one of the main reasons I posted here.

Sorry it's all very vague I just don't know who reads these things lol. CWS is right though and did get the location correct its one of the South American Cities as opposed to Carribean

Iam still on the fence with this here. This will expressly just be a one off and is down to bad planning more than anything else. My only other concern is any "Black Mark" against my name which would prevent me from IRROPS upgrades etc. Or am I thinking too much about this?
Old May 5, 2016, 4:31 am

The strong advice you'll get here is that you fly all segments as ticketed. There is a sale on at the moment on ba.com. Surely you can find a cheap 80 pointer before you do your ex-EU?

Having said that there is a good chance that you'll get away with dropping the last leg. Personally it's not the sort of thing I'd do. I was back in the Silver lounge and was surprised how good it was!
Old May 5, 2016, 4:34 am

Having had a look at ba.com there are quite a few EU destinations that you could do for £200 or less - surely a pleasant way of getting the TPs.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:37 am

But the OP still needs to get back from his TP run to join his return TATL somehow.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
But the OP still needs to get back from his TP run to join his return TATL somehow.
Oh, OK.

Am I reading this right? The OP will do the TP run and be 80 TPs short. Is this without the positioning flights (that's my take) or with them? If the latter 2-3 First flights would be 180 TPs which is way over what is needed so my suggestion was to do a weekend in Europe beforehand. They could then get a cheap Y positioning flight.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:59 am

As I read it (and I stand to be corrected), OP has booked TATL flights from UK - AAA - UK.

They have then booked a TP run AAA - ??? - ??? etc - BBB. They need to get from BBB back to AAA for the return TATL and so wanted to do BBB-AAA in a couple of sectors to net the 80 TPs necessary for qualification.

Maybe an option is to look at Avios to do BBB-AAA (although it sounds as if this can't be done directly so could be expensive) and then a cheapie weekend trip in Europe.

But I'm guessing they're going to end up buying the BBB-AAA ticket.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:06 am
Original Poster

As I read it (and I stand to be corrected), OP has booked TATL flights from UK - AAA - UK.

They have then booked a TP run AAA - ??? - ??? etc - BBB. They need to get from BBB back to AAA for the return TATL and so wanted to do BBB-AAA in a couple of sectors to net the 80 TPs necessary for qualification.

Maybe an option is to look at Avios to do BBB-AAA (although it sounds as if this can't be done directly so could be expensive) and then a cheapie weekend trip in Europe.

This is correct.

I am going to be on holiday in the USA from UK and whilst there do a TP run with positioning flights either side to start and finish the run.

The TP Starting point and finish point both require a TransCon for positioning flights. I have booked the starting positioning flight in Y but not booked the return positioning leg yet.

The 80TPs short is with no returning positioning flights booked yet. Europe isn't as cheap as you would think for me as I live in the regions and no where near London so adding a hop on would increase the price somewhat even in a sale.

That any clearer? Sorry for not putting all the destinations in just don't want to attract attention
Old May 5, 2016, 5:07 am

Yes - that's how I read it. I was a bit miffed by the possibility of three sectors - a bit of overkill! The cheapie EU weekend gives the possibility to get from BBB-AAA by the cheapest carrier.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by crmster
This is correct.

I am going to be on holiday in the USA from UK and whilst there do a TP run with positioning flights either side to start and finish the run.

The 80TPs short is with no returning positioning flights booked yet. Europe isn't as cheap as you would think for me as I live in the regions and no where near London so adding a hop on would increase the price somewhat even in a sale.

That any clearer? Sorry for not putting all the destinations in just don't want to attract attention
Just beat my post!

Have you tried ITA Matrix / Google flights? The folks on here can be very helpful if you give a few more clues!
Old May 5, 2016, 5:10 am

So, OP - without giving too much away...

Is it possible to fly BBB-AAA direct with anyone? Or with AA?

What is the price difference between cheapest routing and one which will give you the 80 TPs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.