Wiki Posts
Search

WhatsApp BA?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

WhatsApp BA?

Just read that WhatsApp is now used by a billion people worldwide.

I'm not very au fait with such technology but it got me wondering if BA could utilise the app in any way? I have it and use it much more than normal text messaging, Facebook and Twitter to keep in touch with my contacts.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:26 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Whatsapp went completely free with the intention of monetising by getting businesses to use it to communicate with their customers. So I guess eventually BA (and other companies) could use Whatsapp.

http://mashable.com/2016/01/18/whats.../#OL8A6QzaHiqV

​"Starting this year, we will test tools that allow you to use WhatsApp to communicate with businesses and organizations that you want to hear from. That could mean communicating with your bank about whether a recent transaction was fraudulent, or with an airline about a delayed flight," the post reads.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I might be getting my companies confused, but I believe one of the founders of WhatsApp is an FTer.

His posts from circa 2007 were quite amusing, followed by a really nice message when he sold the company.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I might be getting my companies confused, but I believe one of the founders of WhatsApp is an FTer.

His posts from circa 2007 were quite amusing, followed by a really nice message when he sold the company.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-whatsapp.html
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Glad my memory is still functioning!
Old May 5, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
We use it to communicate with customers when in resort. The business setup is very good and it would be a wise thing for them to use.

Looking at the stats whatsapp is the most common way to contact us if it's a small, easy query
Old May 5, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Whatsapp is all the rage with companies here in Hong Kong. I make dentist appointments through it.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Whatsapp is an extremely useful tool whilst travelling, I must admit. If BA utilised it to convey simple but important messages I can foresee a raft of complaints in messages not being received. The reason I say this is the cost of data roaming charges can be expensive. For instance, sitting in DUB right now and my data has been an all the time I've been in Ireland. Come later on tonight, messages will only be received when in wifi areas as the cost of data roaming in the USA isn't worth it for me. The message would come through when a suitable wifi platform is available, but that could be too late. Text seems still the best and most concise communication method.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

Yes, Jan Koum.

For the readers present that aren't too familiar with WhatsApp, the invention of that one messaging App propelled him from Yahoo employee to the 62nd wealthiest American in just a few years.

This little story he tells is quite sweet. The deal he is talking about was worth $19 Billion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22387891-post72.html

Last edited by Foltan; May 5, 2016 at 1:29 am
Old May 5, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
Yes, Jan Koum.

For the readers present that aren't too familiar with WhatsApp, the invention of that one messaging App propelled him from Yahoo employee to the 62nd wealthiest American in just a few years.

This little story he tells is quite sweet. The deal he is talking about was worth $19 Billion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22387891-post72.html
See the post just below mine from sxc
Old May 5, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Whatsapp is an extremely useful tool whilst travelling, I must admit. If BA utilised it to convey simple but important messages I can foresee a raft of complaints in messages not being received. The reason I say this is the cost of data roaming charges can be expensive. For instance, sitting in DUB right now and my data has been an all the time I've been in Ireland. Come later on tonight, messages will only be received when in wifi areas as the cost of data roaming in the USA isn't worth it for me. The message would come through when a suitable wifi platform is available, but that could be too late. Text seems still the best and most concise communication method.
Yes, the fact that inbound SMS is free when roaming is a big plus for that as an outbound comms mechanism for companies like BA.

For inbound though Whatsapp makes more sense to me than Twitter.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
It's the best messaging app out there IMO with only 2 drawbacks, it's heavy on the battery if you leave notifications on particularly if you have any sort of group messages on the go. It can also be heavy on data for a similar reason.

Other than that, big thumbs up from me.

Unsure how BA could utilise it for anything other than general messages like they already do with twitter.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Wow, that old thread is a gem.

Agreed that I'm not sure about WhatsApp for on-the-move stuff like this. I turn my data off in the USA, for example, and only use the internet when connected to WiFi (so only in hotels, lounges, etc). SMS is still king....for now.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by paul4040
SMS is still king....for now.
That is the funniest thing I read in ages. Because it is so true and it so isn't...

Developments go faster than ever. In 10 years e-mail will be as outdated as snail mail is now. Hard to keep up but kudos to people like Jan who see a need before it exists. I wonder what will be next...

By the way, I can see one direct advantage for companies to use Whatsapp over Twitter, namely the ability to initiate a call conversation directly with the customer, if necessary. Lets just say that this thread has given me some food for thought... ^
Old May 5, 2016, 4:07 am

This is an interesting thread. I was not aware that so many people are not globally roaming, using data services when outside of their resident countries? I keep my data on all the time - if my employer wants me to be 'agile' and travel for work, then my boss can pay for my data consumption - it also helps to keep up with my social life

Using Whatsapp for communication with companies can only be a good thing in the long run, although if people are not connecting to data roaming services, then I do see the argument that SMS should be favoured over Whatsapp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.