Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: Exit row and safety briefings

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
The briefing procedure is annoying to everybody involved; but, precisely because of that, it is common courtesy to remove headphones etc and pay attention to it - you might even get rewarded with a thankful/appreciative smile, from either the cabin crew or the fearful infrequent flyers sitting around you. and it never hurts to remind yourself how things work (pace seatbelt...)
Old May 4, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I love reading threads, full of opinion from armchair "professionals"...

*yawn*

Old May 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
On my last few flights I have seen everything from mother with 2 young children to a grandmother on chemo sitting in exit rows. BA is too lax on who it allows, it is fairly easy to discern who isn't able bodied before you get to those who don't follow instructions. On most airlines, they make it clear there is responsibility involved and the headphone treatment wouldn't be tolerated. On an AA flight last year, I witnessed 2 able bodied men told to swap seats because although they were sober enough to be let onboard deemed too drunk to sit in the exit row to cooperate if needed.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by KARFA
BotB I think the course may be no more

http://www.britishairways.com/en-fr/...ness-nocourses

I knew they had stopped it with teh move from Cranebank, but it looks like the closure of the course is temporary. I am speaking to the BA staff member who runs it on Friday so I will check.
Thanks KARFA, that would be greatly appreciated ^^
Old May 5, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I flew MAN-LHR yesterday and heard a member of the cabin crew discussing the exit row briefing with what appeared to be a newish cabin crew member. She then went and briefed those in the exit row.

An excellent crew - I was very impressed with how helpful and encouraging they were to their new colleague, enabling her to perform splendidly.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
But just a second. I often sit in the exit row.

If I know how to operate the door (and in this aspect I've actually considered how to bring the door inside without hitting someone on the head) and that there's an extra handle to pull if the slide doesn't deploy for whatever reason, if I know the brace position (YES including the legs part), I know where my nearest exit is (right next to me in these cases). I know where the oxygen masks come from and to put it on firmly over my nose and mouth, put on the strap securely and breath normally, and also know to note that the bag does not inflate.

If I know that the life vest is under my seat, and that I know how to put it on, and to inflate it with the red toggle only once outside the plane, and that I can inflate it further with the mouthpiece if required and that there is a blinking light that will light once hitting water (even though my flight should have no reason to land on water, and that history dictates these rarely end well anyway).

And I definitely know how to put on and take off my seat belt. Then, if I don't pay attention while still probably having a better grasp of the average first/second time flyer. Then, what's the problem to you?

I never listen to music, but I generally don't stop reading for them any more. Because I honestly don't think there's anything more to absorb.

Now if I heard a significant change then I'd probably stop and listen. Otherwise, I don't see the problem. Maybe you could have asked them yourself if they knew the safety aspects of the plane? Just to put your own mind at ease?
Old May 5, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I love reading threads, full of opinion from armchair "professionals"...

*yawn*

I was only just thinking the same thing over my coffee and doing my nails 💅🏾
Old May 5, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by r00ty
I know where my nearest exit is (right next to me in these cases).
You need to listen more carefully. It is the nearest usable exit, which is a very important distinction.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
You need to listen more carefully. It is the nearest usable exit, which is a very important distinction.
Yep, but if my one isn't usable, jammed into the window seat I'll be almost last place to the working exit(s) anyway (I'm basing this on A319/A320 which I mostly always fly on). So I'd either be dead, or have plenty of time to find the working exit, once almost everyone else is off :P

Furthermore. If the exit in MY row isn't working, worrying about whether I'm paying attention, becomes moot. No?
Old May 5, 2016, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Because I honestly don't think there's anything more to absorb.

Now if I heard a significant change then I'd probably stop and listen. Otherwise, I don't see the problem. Maybe you could have asked them yourself if they knew the safety aspects of the plane? Just to put your own mind at ease?
Is this a case of "I know it all already"?

What about re-briefing to refresh your memory? The crew do it, and they know more about all of this than you ever will. What makes you think that you can do better without?

And how are you going to know whether there's been a significant change unless you listen?
Old May 5, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this a case of "I know it all already"?

What about re-briefing to refresh your memory? The crew do it, and they know more about all of this than you ever will. What makes you think that you can do better without?

And how are you going to know whether there's been a significant change unless you listen?
Seems to me, the only people proclaiming to know it all are those with the established wisdom that you should listen intently every time.

No, I don't claim to know it all. No-one knows it all. I wonder why do you think it's appropriate to talk down to anyone that disagrees with you/the collective opinion in this way?

In my mind, I can pretty much recite it verbatim and until such time as it changes, why would I look up and give the impression I'm absorbing "new" information when there isn't any? You know I can recognize when something's different about the speech WHILE reading believe it or not.

What actually concerns me is the people that watch, pay attention every time and still don't know the FULL brace position, it's shown on the video (albeit with a simple arrow showing what to do with your legs) but I notice when the CC perform a manual demo it's not even mentioned. Now THAT should be worrying. Since, in my mind at least it's quite an important aspect of the brace position and in a real emergency is the difference between walking off, or crawling off.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to me, the only people proclaiming to know it all are those with the established wisdom that you should listen intently every time.
Having developed a few trainings on the subject and sort of knowing something about human performance (also under stress), I can at least contribute that:

1. The more times you see it, the better your chances will be. Reenforcement is a powerful method of transferring understanding.

2. Safety briefing are not just meant to inform you about something you may or may not already know. They are also meant to put you into a certain mindset. Lots of research has been done on this. Should it be funny, not funny, celebs, no celebs, animated vs regular video, etc., but it seems to make little difference. Not watching the safety briefing however, does not 'reset' your mind.

And then there is basic good manners (not exclusive to the English by the way) and common sense. If you're hiding behind your pinkish newspaper you are not aware of your surroundings.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Having developed a few trainings on the subject and sort of knowing something about human performance (also under stress), I can at least contribute that:

1. The more times you see it, the better your chances will be. Reenforcement is a powerful method of transferring understanding.

2. Safety briefing are not just meant to inform you about something you may or may not already know. They are also meant to put you into a certain mindset. Lots of research has been done on this. Should it be funny, not funny, celebs, no celebs, animated vs regular video, etc., but it seems to make little difference. Not watching the safety briefing however, does not 'reset' your mind.

And then there is basic good manners (not exclusive to the English by the way) and common sense. If you're hiding behind your pinkish newspaper you are not aware of your surroundings.
But, what's the difference in me running through the plan in my own head as soon as I sit down, and listening to the demo for the umpteenth time?

You might even think this is too much. But you know I count the seat tops to the nearest exit if I'm in a normal seat. So I could find it without visual cues. For sure, I've considered how I'd go about opening an exit if I were sitting in one. Unclip the cover when there is notice of an emergency landing in preparation, this kind of thing?

It's opinion, both sides. You think you should listen, I think you should make your own preparations. It's my opinion it's FAR superior to know what you will personally do. As for good manners. The crew are going through a trained motion, I would hope they wouldn't be offended if I keep reading for the duration. I'm completely polite throughout the rest of the flight I assure you. Even within British society, manners are a personal matter too.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But, what's the difference in me running through the plan in my own head as soon as I sit down, and listening to the demo for the umpteenth time?
The research probably didn't focus on one individual. Everyone is similar in the belief that they are unique.

I have no idea if you personally would or would not benefit from paying attention. I just know that most people would benefit and nobody gets worse from watching it.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Because I honestly don't think there's anything more to absorb.
No, I don't claim to know it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.